PDA

View Full Version : What DE/WM does everyone use?

Grifulkin
November 16th, 2009, 07:39 AM
What DE/WM does everyone use?

Also I use Arch+Openbox on my desktop, almost have it set up exactly how I want it, and I use Arch+LXDE on my Netbook. And I use way less memory on my Netbook then I do my Desktop, oddly.

earthpigg
November 16th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I use way less memory on my Netbook then I do my Desktop, oddly.

it's almost as if your operating system is aware of how much memory the computer has and makes adjustments accordingly! :D

voted for lxde.

arch+lxde on primary desktop.
Masonux 9.04 on rest, which uses lxde.

Grifulkin
November 16th, 2009, 07:50 AM
it's almost as if your operating system is aware of how much memory the computer has and makes adjustments accordingly! :D

Actually now that I think of it, I think it is around the same ratio of memory usage compared to total memory.

EDIT: Yup, right around 5% disk usage in each.

23dornot23d
November 16th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I use ......... Elives Desktop ....... ( Enlightenment E17 ) ........

Not sure if the Windows Manager has a seperate name ..........

XubuRoxMySox
November 16th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Debian/LXDE on my primary "mission-critical" 'puter, Xubuntu on my "mission-exploration" 'puter, and Crunchbang (Openbox window manager) on my "mission-portable" laptop. I use three of the choices, so I dunno how to vote... I'm on the Xubuntu machine at the moment so I just voted Xfce. But LXDE and Openbox apply too.

-Robin

gnuvistawouldbecool
November 16th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Voted for Openbox, KDE and GNOME. Those are currently used in Crunchbang, Mandriva 2010 and Mandriva 2009.1 (in that order).

I have a tendency to use KDE with Openbox as WM a lot of the time though.

Tibuda
November 16th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Openbox or Compiz.

Grenage
November 16th, 2009, 11:44 AM
KDE at work, Gnome at home. I like to stay handy with the two 'top dogs'.

KenJackson
November 16th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Gosh, OpenBox has as many votes as XFCE and I haven't even tried it! I'll have to.

I've been using IceWM for years and find it to be very practical and lightweight. I rely heavily on menus but I find desktop icons to be both unhelpful and messy looking. IceWM is excellent for both of those reasons.

Bachstelze
November 16th, 2009, 12:25 PM
KDE all the way since 1999.

dragos240
November 16th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Gnome.

Grifulkin
November 16th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Bump trying to get more people to vote and post.

chucky chuckaluck
November 16th, 2009, 08:29 PM
i pretty much always come back to openbox. i get bored with it and try other things, but when the novelty wears off, i'm back.

kk0sse54
November 16th, 2009, 09:27 PM
FreeBSD awesome-wm
Arch Xmonad

Occasionally I'll use KDE4 on Arch and Xfce on FreeBSD

Exodist
November 16th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I like threads like this.. They remind me that if Gnome3.0 goes to crud, I have plenty of other options.

RiceMonster
November 16th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Fedora: GNOME
Arch: KDE 4.3

I used to use Openbox and play around with all kinds of lightweight wms, but later I finally stopped caring about how much ram I'm using and started using desktop environments. I'm a big fan of Xfce as well, but I sort of got bored of it after using it for a year.

ve4cib
November 16th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Depending on which computer/VM I'm using, and what mood I'm in I'll use Gnome, LXDE, Fluxbox, or JWM. Gnome is my far my most-commonly-used DE, followed by Fluxbox. LXDE and JWM I don't use often aside from a couple of low-memory VMs on an over-worked server.

tacantara
November 16th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I've switched between KDE and GNOME, but I prefer GNOME as it is just a better user experience for me. To dress it up a bit, I ditch the Human theme and go for a Win Vista/7 look using Emerald, and I top it all off with Cairo Dock.

coldReactive
November 16th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I use GNOME and Metacity.

Will be using XFCE in the future thanks to GNOME Shell.

Xbehave
November 16th, 2009, 10:28 PM
from popcon (http://popcon.ubuntu.com/by_inst)
desktop
ubuntu-desktop...........................969901 [82%]
kubuntu-desktop(KDE3 +267).....150768 [12%]
xubuntu-desktop...........................60556 [5.1%]
lubuntu-desktop..................................50 [0.0042%]

window manager
metacity........................1162025 [78%]
kwin................................152737 [10%]
xfwm4.............................105801 [7.1%]
openbox...........................21803 [1.5%]
fluxbox..............................19905 [1.3%]
icewm.................................7722 [0.52%]
fvwm...................................4756 [0.32%]
lxde.....................................4528 [0.31%]
jwm.....................................1468 [0.099%]

It seams that gnome users are less social or a lot of people have gnome installed but don't use it (the usage data is meaningless for most of them). The poll results here are going to be biased by people only voting if they care (and people who care are more likely to have changed form the default than those that don't), However it seams to break down as
GNOME 16 : KDE 2 : xfce 1

tjwoosta
November 16th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I voted fluxbox because thats what I usually use, but I also use awesome.

Grifulkin
November 17th, 2009, 05:13 AM
I will bump again.

hoppipolla
November 17th, 2009, 05:16 AM
K!

And I'm quite happy here for the foreseeable future :)

In the past I have been on Gnome and Flux as well as a ton of short bursts in ones like e, XFCE, Openbox, awesome, and others!

For me though, I love the combined maximalism and refinement of KDE, and the ambition of the developers :)

jollysnowman
November 17th, 2009, 05:20 AM
xfce + openbox!

Tux Aubrey
November 17th, 2009, 05:26 AM
e17 almost always (but sometimes fluxbox for a change). I love my desktop menus.

Grifulkin
November 17th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Alot of people have picked e17 I should have included that instead of FVWM. Oh well, personally I don't remember my first post but I use Arch+Openbox+Pypanel on my desktop. I think it looks very nice, the only problem I have had so far, I spent a few hours getting it to mount things the way I wanted and making Pypanel look right. Also I am all for the lightweight WM and then your regular programs. I run Firefox3.5 and Pidgin and others on top of Openbox I have a bunch of RAM but for somereason I don't like to be bogged down by a DE.

But my last problem that I wanted to fix the other day is how to make the picture you set as your wallpaper stay everytime you boot. I google and google but I am sure I will eventually figure it out, I feel way more accomplished and proud of my set up this way. Not just oh here is a DE and a theme. Ya know?

antenna
November 17th, 2009, 06:21 AM
dwm, fast and simple.

renkinjutsu
November 17th, 2009, 06:25 AM
We need more Pekwm users... i'm sick of being lonely :-x!

lisati
November 17th, 2009, 06:34 AM
I normally use Gnome.

As I type, I'm attempting a CLI install of 9.10 on my old desktop using the minimal CD, the jury is still out on which DE/WMM I'll use on it (if any), it will depend in part on how the installation goes. (whoops odd disk identifier for the "format disks" dialogue, clicked on "continue" in haste. Might need to restart, will post elsewhere if I feel so inclined)

chucky chuckaluck
November 17th, 2009, 06:46 AM
But my last problem that I wanted to fix the other day is how to make the picture you set as your wallpaper stay everytime you boot. I google and google but I am sure I will eventually figure it out, I feel way more accomplished and proud of my set up this way. Not just oh here is a DE and a theme. Ya know?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Openbox look for the "wallpaper" section. it'll give you several options. hm, i wonder if you can be done via .bashrc, as well.

edit: it does work by putting it in .bashrc, though it flickers at first (no idea why. i just sort of guessed at it).

sujoy
November 17th, 2009, 07:24 AM
where are the tilers!

xmonad and stumpwm user here :)

lightningfox
November 17th, 2009, 10:33 AM
KDE 4.3 on Ubuntu 9.10.

fromthehill
November 17th, 2009, 10:40 AM
ubuntu 9.10 with gnome

don't like the way kde looks
too much eyecandy for my taste

jwbrase
November 17th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Gnome on this machine.

Experimented with quite a few on our desktop back home, but generally used Gnome until I upgraded that machine to Jaunty, at which point Gnome became unusable and I was forced to LXDE. I'm not sure if that machine counts, though, since there's now an ocean between me and it.

t.rei
November 17th, 2009, 10:59 AM
KDE + Compiz.

Kwin is not configurable enough yet, for instance compiz has at lease basic "place window" functionality.

Too sad, kwin doesn't provide the option to remember window positions+sizes anymore. I'd switch in an instant.

XubuRoxMySox
November 17th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Experimenting with KDE. I always thought it's beauty and way-cool apps was a trade-off; that speed would be hugely sacrificed if I used it. That was true in Jaunty with kubuntu-desktop installed.

It's not true in the latest release of Mepis (https://www.mepis.org/), though. Very surprising! It's delightfully fast even on my old dawg.

-Robin

Tibuda
November 17th, 2009, 01:44 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Openbox look for the "wallpaper" section. it'll give you several options. hm, i wonder if you can be done via .bashrc, as well.

edit: it does work by putting it in .bashrc, though it flickers at first (no idea why. i just sort of guessed at it).

wouldn't be better to put it on ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh?

Grifulkin
November 25th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Bump

tjwoosta
November 25th, 2009, 07:21 PM
KDE + Compiz.

Kwin is not configurable enough yet, for instance compiz has at lease basic "place window" functionality.

Too sad, kwin doesn't provide the option to remember window positions+sizes anymore. I'd switch in an instant.

I also like to control individual window placement. I asked a kde user about it while ago and he said it is possible then posted this image as proof. Is this what you are looking for?

http://a.imagehost.org/view/0005/snapshot3

wouldn't be better to put it on ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh?

Im not an openbox user but I think it probably would. I use fluxbox and the best way to do wallpaper in fluxbox is to put it in the ~/.fluxbox/startup file. If you use .xinitrc it executes regardless of which wm you start where if you put it in the WM's autostart file you can easily switch WM's with gdm or slim or whatever session manager and each can have a different wallpaper. Other then that I don't think it makes much difference. I wouldn't use .bashrc though.

zagz
November 25th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I been on Gnome since the year dot, now with the upcoming Gnome3 I have slowly started runnign kde (live DVD) to become familiar as I don't like Gnome3, not one bit.

RATM_Owns
November 25th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Openbox and Awesome.

I also used to use Xmonad and dwm.

ZankerH
November 25th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Gnome on Ubuntu and Fedora, awesome on Debian and Arch.

Grifulkin
November 25th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Gnome on Ubuntu and Fedora, awesome on Debian and Arch.

I have never even heard of Awesome.

tjwoosta
November 25th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Awesome is awesome! I used to use it, and I still love it, but too often other people need to use my laptop and cant grasp how to use it so I switched back to fluxbox. Its a tiling wm like dwm, xmonad, wmii, stumpwm, ratpoison, and ion. There are probably others that I just can't think of right now.

http://awesome.naquadah.org/

crimesaucer
November 25th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Xmonad in xfce4: http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Using_xmonad_in_XFCE

Greg
November 25th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Xmonad- also still play around in StumpWM on occassion.

Tux Aubrey
November 29th, 2009, 12:56 PM
where are the tilers!

Poland mostly, I think. Although our last one was a German for a change ;-)

K.Mandla
November 29th, 2009, 01:31 PM
screen-vs.

wojox
November 29th, 2009, 01:38 PM
screen-vs.

More fun than a bag of cats?

Gnome/Metacity I'm a default kind of guy.

rudihawk
November 29th, 2009, 01:46 PM
XFCE for me!

Virtual Liberty
November 29th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Server - Awesome, Desktop - Openbox.

guillelo11
November 29th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Kde!

cookiecruncher
November 29th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I'm using KDE 4.3.2.
Effects? WM?... I don't know. How do I find out? In 'System Settings, desktop effects' I have 'enable desktop effects' checked, so what am I using? Everything, I would imagine, is default.

cookiecruncher
December 2nd, 2009, 08:21 PM
I'm using KDE 4.3.2.
Effects? WM?... I don't know. How do I find out? In 'System Settings, desktop effects' I have 'enable desktop effects' checked, so what am I using? Everything, I would imagine, is default.
Bump
Anyone?

PC specs:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G94 [GeForce 9600 GT] (rev a1)

*-cpu
product: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHzGraphics driver :- 'nvidia-185'

RiceMonster
December 2nd, 2009, 08:24 PM
I'm using KDE 4.3.2.

If you're using KDE, it's KWin, unless you changed it, which I doubt you did. KWin manages the effects, too.

hessiess
December 2nd, 2009, 08:25 PM
Xmonad

LookTJ
December 2nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
Gnome

Grifulkin
December 2nd, 2009, 08:39 PM
I do enjoy how more people use Openbox than XFCE. Openbox seems to be one of the most popular WM's. That being said I didn't put any Tiling WM's in my poll. So I would assume they are up there, seeing as most of the 20 (others) posted saying some sort of Tiling WM. Just saying.

jollysnowman
December 2nd, 2009, 10:36 PM
Right now I'm also using Compiz as a standalone WM, but I'm still trying to configure everything, like compiz-deskmenu, action buttons, etc...

denago
December 2nd, 2009, 11:32 PM
FVWM all the way. The configurability of it is second to none.

Tibuda
December 3rd, 2009, 11:41 AM
Right now I'm also using Compiz as a standalone WM, but I'm still trying to configure everything, like compiz-deskmenu, action buttons, etc...

When I'm using Compiz standalone I use xfdesktop to display my wallpaper because it can display a right-click applications menu like Openbox. I think it is better than compiz-deskmenu, but that is only an opinion.

kellemes
December 3rd, 2009, 11:57 AM
XFCE with a little Compiz.. or xmonad.

nothingspecial
December 3rd, 2009, 12:09 PM
Main - ubuntu server + openbox
laptop ubuntu minimal + openbox
netbook ubuntu minimal + openbox
server ubuntu server + screen + dvtm

Sahkolihaa
December 3rd, 2009, 01:40 PM
Xfce - did use it with Compiz, but it kept causing the top and lower panels to swap or stick to one position (so both at top or both on the bottom) and would also cause some system-lock ups, so I just use the compositor in Xfwm4.

jollysnowman
December 3rd, 2009, 04:06 PM
When I'm using Compiz standalone I use xfdesktop to display my wallpaper because it can display a right-click applications menu like Openbox. I think it is better than compiz-deskmenu, but that is only an opinion.

Ah forgot about that one! Yeah, compiz-deskmenu is a little sketchy. I appreciate the guy's work, but I'm looking for something that works.

What did you use to logout/reboot/shutdown?

Psumi
December 3rd, 2009, 06:12 PM
I use xfce because of gnome-shell in the future.

Grifulkin
December 4th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I use xfce because of gnome-shell in the future.

It has been so long since I really messed with Gnome, that I could care less what 3.0 looks like or the gnome-shell. I am sure people will like it and I'm sure there are others that won't. Prime example I love KDE 3.5 and don't think KDE 4 was better and still don't think that KDE 4.3 is better.

purgatori
December 10th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Wmii.

graabein
December 10th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Been using GNOME forever with some short stints of Openbox and Window Maker. Installed xmonad the other day and I like it a lot! :D

stanca
January 22nd, 2010, 07:29 PM
Gnome,Fluxbox and E17-Ecomorph.:P

t.rei
January 26th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Back to gnome+compiz with a bit of mac-flair in aspects of layout and functionality of the ui (compozé, cairo-dock for starters and windowlist, ...)

But with all the goodies of a 'proper' desktop: virtual desktops, all the free software in the world,... \o/

KDE was great, but it's not done yet at a point where its usable for my everyday work. Like when I work on something as simple as a samba share and the saved file is empty without telling my any error or the popup of the network-management not hiding again... or those pesky folder-view-popup-things (sry, I hate popups)...
But I'm shure it'll get there, and I should probably start looking for something to use when gnome goes into experimental 'not done yet' state. ;)

Techsnap
January 26th, 2010, 10:26 AM
KDE since 2001, always has been always will be.

Rodney9
January 26th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Fluxbox for it's minimalist simplicity.

Pogeymanz
January 26th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Ah forgot about that one! Yeah, compiz-deskmenu is a little sketchy. I appreciate the guy's work, but I'm looking for something that works.

What did you use to logout/reboot/shutdown?

I think using xfdesktop without XFCE is a little broken. Not to mention it uses a bunch more memory and you might as well run all of XFCE at that point. Try using myGTKMenu instead of compiz-deskmenu. It's a little nicer, but ideally I'd like to see Compiz have its own menu.

infestor
January 26th, 2010, 01:34 PM
gnome...not because it is *awesome* but habits stick

stanca
February 13th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Update:Now I'm using/trying Openbox too,alongside Gnome,E17-Ecomorph and Fluxbox.;)

arele
February 21st, 2010, 06:32 PM
Fluxbox. Fast, simple and easy to use. Now I am going to try openbox and perhaps some tilling wm

Post Monkeh
February 21st, 2010, 06:57 PM
to any of you people who are used to trying different de/wm, please take a look at my thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1412420) about my difficulties in getting openbox to login for my normal username. i can, as mentioned, create a new user to log in to openbox with, but that isn't really what i was hoping for.

urukrama
February 24th, 2010, 01:44 AM
We need more Pekwm users... i'm sick of being lonely :-x!

I'm using Pekwm occasionally again.

Grifulkin
February 25th, 2010, 10:56 PM
to any of you people who are used to trying different de/wm, please take a look at my thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1412420) about my difficulties in getting openbox to login for my normal username. i can, as mentioned, create a new user to log in to openbox with, but that isn't really what i was hoping for.

I have no clue.

Post Monkeh
February 25th, 2010, 11:10 PM
I have no clue.

urukrama (the one who posted above) got himself onto my christmas card list by sorting the problem for me.

haven't used openbox a great deal yet though. it was very jumpy when minimising/restoring opera and firefox (took maybe a second to draw my opera window, piece by piece). i'm sure it's just another little tweak needed somewhere but i haven't had the time (read i'm too lazy) to look into it yet.

Mark76
February 25th, 2010, 11:52 PM
I use the ROX desktop environment with the OroboROX window manager.

n0dix
February 25th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Gnome > Xfce > Fluxbox > Openbox > Awesome WM > Dwm WM > Xmonad > Wmii > etc.
------------- Past ----------------------------------------------| -- Present - | -- Future -----------------

msrinath80
February 25th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Windowmaker always :)

Zoot7
February 26th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Debian and Xfce4 here.

SomeGuyDude
February 26th, 2010, 01:23 AM
I alternate between Openbox and Compiz.

Fred the Penguin
April 14th, 2010, 10:24 PM
E17. I did a minimalist Ubuntu install and then installed Enlightenment. I really like it, but I can't get ecomorph to work and I have a few things to work out (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1454425).

swoll1980
April 14th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Gnome/Compiz

WinterMadness
April 15th, 2010, 12:27 AM
I have KDE on my main computers.
On my netbook I have gnome, because it seems to be a little better for smaller screens

Khakilang
April 15th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Gnome on my main computer and LXDE on my old computer.

purgatori
April 15th, 2010, 08:53 AM
I have been using Scrotwm for some time now. It's extremely simple and elegant to configure through the human-readable config file, and the default settings are so sane (especially for vi users), that it needs very little customization in order to be usable. Another thing I appreciate is its dedication to maximizing screen real-estate, and minimizing resizing/repositioning of clients (esp. with a mouse).