PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Omg here I go again.... I need help.

Justin2240
November 16th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Ok here's the deal. I have Linux Ubuntu 8.10 Server 64x and I'm having an issue. Whenever I install all the updates for the operating system and tell Linux to activate the driver for my 2 ATI 4830 graphics cards and reboot for it to finish activation it boots up NOT into the DESKTOP but into a black screen that ask for my LOG IN and my PASSWORD. I type in my log in name and my password and it just gives me a SUDO command line and still doesn't bring me to my desktop. If anyone has any ideas on what I should do it would be most appreciated. Thank you for all your time on reading this and please do forgive me for the bold and underline words. I just don't want there to be any mix up on communication here.

earthpigg
November 16th, 2009, 07:20 AM
what happens if you type

xinit
or

startx
?

Justin2240
November 16th, 2009, 07:22 AM
I don't know lol. Let me find out real quick and then give you a good detail on what it does.

Justin2240
November 16th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Ok here we go..... It tells me the build date and operating system. Then it gives me a log file: "/ete/x11/Xorg.conf". Then it gives me this

(WW) fglrx: No matching device section for instance (BusID PCI: 0@1:0:0)
(WW) fglrx: No matching device section for instance (BusID PCI: 0@1:0:1)
(WW) fglrx: No matching device section for instance (BusID PCI: 0@2:0:0)
(WW) fglrx: No matching device section for instance (BusID PCI: 0@2:0:1)

(EE) No devices detected.
Fatal Server Error:
No screens found
giving up
xinit connection refused (error 111): unable to connect to X server
xinit no su process (errno3): server error

And that's all she wrote man..... So what do you think?

Justin2240
November 16th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Hey guys I haven't really got a reply back about my recent post can anyone plz help me here?? I would really appreciate it. I really want to find out what is causing my installation of Ubuntu to be acting weird like this.

earthpigg
November 17th, 2009, 02:02 AM
have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling X?

Justin2240
November 17th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I don't know what "X" is the only thing I know about linux is the synaptic package manager installing linux and some of the updates. Sorry I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to Linux. If you mean the entire operating system then yes I have. It only seems to do this whenever I tell it to do all the updates and then tell it to install the driver for my GPU's.

ElSlunko
November 17th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Have you tried booting in recovery mode? Perhaps reinstalling ubuntu-desktop might get your gui back.

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Justin2240
November 17th, 2009, 11:30 PM
No I haven't tried booting in recovery mode.... but then again I don't know how. Do I have to have the disc in the cd-rom drive to do that?? Also I will try the command that you gave me I hope it will work.

Justin2240
November 17th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Ok this is what happens when I type in "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop."

Reading package list... done
Building Dependency tree
Reading state information... done
Ubuntu-descktop is already the newest version
0 upgrade, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded

Justin2240
November 18th, 2009, 11:49 PM
So anymore suggestions before I just give up on this thing?? I really want to see if I can get it working.

earthpigg
November 19th, 2009, 04:59 AM
honestly? i've never had X break on me, so never been forced to learn to fix it...

Robertjm
November 20th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Try:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop

Ok this is what happens when I type in "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop."

Reading package list... done
Building Dependency tree
Reading state information... done
Ubuntu-descktop is already the newest version
0 upgrade, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded

gamerteck
December 9th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I don't think re-installing Ubuntu will do anything, from the logs posted it's an "X"org thing.

Try reconfiguring X

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
Then reboot.
If you still only get into the terminal then delete the xorg.conf file.

sudo rm -i /etc/X11/xorg.conf
reboot.