PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu ready laptops?

tittiger
November 16th, 2009, 06:09 AM
I installed Unbuntu on 2 laptops and a net book and was disappointed in that not one had a WiFi connection.

My question is: Are there any inexpensive laptops/net books that have Ubuntu compatable WiFi chipsets?

As I want to buy them with Windows 7 installed and then install Ubuntu.

OR

Is there a USB WiFi card that just "works" that I can add to my current laptop?

Thanks,
Joe

Locke_99GS
November 16th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Ubuntu 9.10 works without issue on my Toshiba S305

ArinSky
November 16th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I installed Unbuntu on 2 laptops and a net book and was disappointed in that not one had a WiFi connection.

My question is: Are there any inexpensive laptops/net books that have Ubuntu compatable WiFi chipsets?

As I want to buy them with Windows 7 installed and then install Ubuntu.

OR

Is there a USB WiFi card that just "works" that I can add to my current laptop?

Thanks,
Joe
if you installed it on 2 separate computers and neither worked, thats kinda long odds that its a compatibility issue, unless you have two cloned computers.
Sometimes ubuntu can be a little wonky with drivers tho, might look into that.

DGortze380
November 16th, 2009, 06:23 AM
http://www.system76.com/
http://www.dell.com/

steveneddy
November 16th, 2009, 06:34 AM
http://www.system76.com/
http://www.dell.com/

+1 on the system76

The Verizon Mifi Wireless device (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=products_mifi) is the coolest wireless internet device out there right now.

tittiger
November 16th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the quick replies guys but I want an INEXPENSIVE windows 7 laptop that will handle Ubuntu WiFi drivers.

OR

a USB WiFi card that I can drop into any laptop and have Ubuntu recognize it.

Support for this OS is really lacking. I have been here for weeks trying to get answers to a simple question.

What can be changed so that Ubuntu support does not model MS support?

Thanks guys....

DGortze380
November 16th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the quick replies guys but I want an INEXPENSIVE windows 7 laptop that will handle Ubuntu WiFi drivers.

OR

Support for this OS is really lacking. I have been here for weeks trying to get answers to a simple question.

Thanks guys....

Thats not what you asked in your original post.

Criticizing the FREE, VOLUNTEER help you're receiving isn't the best way to find a solution to your problem.

This would be a good place to start.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo

Locke_99GS
November 16th, 2009, 07:14 AM
http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/

Not complete, but can be very helpful.

DynastyX
November 16th, 2009, 07:25 AM

OR

Thanks guys....

Why can't you just buy a laptop from System76, you know it will work with Ubuntu, and you can put Windows 7 on it afterwards... No need to ask questions if you just buy the laptop that comes with drivers to work with Linux.

tittiger
November 16th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Thats not what you asked in your original post.

Criticizing the FREE, VOLUNTEER help you're receiving isn't the best way to find a solution to your problem.

This would be a good place to start.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo

Sorry but that is exactly what I asked for.

FYI I am beyond criticizing. I am ready to go back to the MS camp for a few more years until the Linix camp gets it's ducks in a row.

tittiger
November 16th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Why can't you just buy a laptop from System76, you know it will work with Ubuntu, and you can put Windows 7 on it afterwards... No need to ask questions if you just buy the laptop that comes with drivers to work with Linux.

A good idea if money were not an object. The system 76 systems are pricey IMHO and then add the cost of system 7 not to mention taking the chance of how windows 7 will treat the ubuntu boot sector. I already know that unbuntu behaves itself and does not stomp the windows 7 boot sector.

What about getting a Dell (I know) with ubuntu 10v and add windows 7 later?

thanks... I will chew on your idea.

Joe

itsbrad212
November 16th, 2009, 08:12 AM
your best bet would be:

1. Buying an ubuntu ready laptop from dell (to have the drivers)
2. Dual boot with windows 7 (if u really need to)
3. Reinstall GRUB (windows is mean and deletes it)

:D

itsbrad212
November 16th, 2009, 08:13 AM
oh, and about a wireless usb card. most isps only make 'em compatible with windows :(

tittiger
November 16th, 2009, 08:17 AM
your best bet would be:

1. Buying an ubuntu ready laptop from dell (to have the drivers)
2. Dual boot with windows 7 (if u really need to)
3. Reinstall GRUB (windows is mean and deletes it)

I think you are probably one the right track though I hate to buy a copy of windows perhaps I can at least get an OEM copy.

BTW what is GRUB?

The assininess of windows is part of the reason I want windows on first but I think you are right about the Ubuntu drivers and getting it on first.

itsbrad212
November 16th, 2009, 08:27 AM
GRUB is basically the bootloader that linux uses. (also uses LILO on other distros). it basically lets you choose what os you want to boot into. when u install linux fist and windows second, windows deletes grub so you must boot into the live cd to fix it

steveneddy
November 16th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I am a System76 customer and I buy and use their laptops.

I use Windows (Vista and 7) in a Virtual machine (VirtualBox)

You will have a better experience if you buy hardware that is known to work will Linux.

The extra money you feel you are spending needlessly will be well worth it when you can just use your laptop.

Do you wanna get work done or play with your hardware all the time?

I choose to get work done. I use System76.

tittiger
November 16th, 2009, 08:45 AM
GRUB is basically the bootloader that linux uses. (also uses LILO on other distros). it basically lets you choose what os you want to boot into. when u install linux fist and windows second, windows deletes grub so you must boot into the live cd to fix it

To me it looks like you are damned if you put linux on first and you are damned if you put windows on first.

My thoughts so far are if you want to dual boot machine for monetary reasons you are best to get a Windows 7 laptop. Also for hassle reasons since I do NOT want to get into boot loaders or fixing any other problems that MicroShit causes.

The Linux camp has almost gotten there with the install that installs within windows and handles the boot loader flawlessly.

Where they are dropping the ball is with the WiFi drivers. Today they are as important as the video drivers. The simple solution to me and a way for them to make money would be to buy a bunch of USB WiFi devices from Geeks.com for $6 each and sell them so that no matter what you can get a copy of Ubuntu on the net and try to install native WiFi chip drivers later.

What gets me is how people smart enough to write OS code etc. can miss the blatantly obvious.

If they just gave it a little more effort they could blow Gay Boy Gates doors off.

Think about it geek boys at Ubuntu.

Thanks,
Joe

itsbrad212
November 16th, 2009, 08:46 AM

You will have a better experience if you buy hardware that is known to work will Linux.

The extra money you feel you are spending needlessly will be well worth it when you can just use your laptop.

no offence but sounds like an ad...

itsbrad212
November 16th, 2009, 08:51 AM
To me it looks like you are damned if you put linux on first and you are damned if you put windows on first.

My thoughts so far are if you want to dual boot machine for monetary reasons you are best to get a Windows 7 laptop. Also for hassle reasons since I do NOT want to get into boot loaders or fixing any other problems that MicroShit causes.

The Linux camp has almost gotten there with the install that installs within windows and handles the boot loader flawlessly.

Where they are dropping the ball is with the WiFi drivers. Today they are as important as the video drivers. The simple solution to me and a way for them to make money would be to buy a bunch of USB WiFi devices from Geeks.com for $6 each and sell them so that no matter what you can get a copy of Ubuntu on the net and try to install native WiFi chip drivers later.

What gets me is how people smart enough to write OS code etc. can miss the blatantly obvious.

If they just gave it a little more effort they could blow Gay Boy Gates doors off.

Think about it geek boys at Ubuntu.

Thanks,
Joe

lol im actually coding my own os :D anyway...

and about getting a win7 laptop to dualboot... i wouldn't do that, because your back where you are right now. if you get an ubuntu laptop, it has all of the drivers already working

tittiger
November 16th, 2009, 08:56 AM

Thanks
You make a lot of good points. There are a lot of conflicting parameters in making the decision such as how much money you have. If your skill set is in windows or linux.

i.e. I am dumb as a rock when it comes to Linux so of course I want to install MicroShite first.

Which OS you depend on the most. Then to add even more confusion Dell pricks you by offering bigger HD sizes on the exact HW when you buy Linux at least on the 10V netbook.

I appreciate all of your input. Unfortunately this is still a PITA. The UBUNTU team IMHO is 90% there. The last 10% is making the WiFi driver bullet proff.

Best,
Joe

azebuski
November 16th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I bought a few Asus 900 netbooks from Wal-Mart and Target and all work very well with Ubuntu. I installed Karmic Koala on all of them from a USB stick and WiFi works perfectly with the Atheros WiFi chipset. My only complaint is getting the volume levels to work with the built-in microphone. The webcam works great but I have to SCREAM for people to hear me on the mike.

Ms_Angel_D
November 16th, 2009, 09:00 AM
If your looking for laptop that will run windows too I suggest you buy a laptop which comes with linux on it and buy a copy of Win7, if Linux works on it then you should have no problems getting windows to work on it. Just talk to customer service and let them know you want to be able to download windows drivers for your hardware, I'm sure they will tell you how to get them.

waspbr
November 16th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I have had a good experience with hp laptops, though at earlier releases of ubuntu there were a few issues, a workaround was often available.

I can really say that every HP laptop will work with ubuntu well, but when I was shopping around for a laptop, I finally landed eyes on my trust tx1320us, then I googled around and found out that other people had been using ubuntu on it, which was a good sign. I then made sure that every thing was working or had a work-around. Once I had done my research I went ahead and bought the laptop.

In summary,find the laptop you want first, then do some research on whether everything works and how to get it working.

tittiger
November 16th, 2009, 09:06 AM
If your looking for laptop that will run windows too I suggest you buy a laptop which comes with linux on it and buy a copy of Win7, if Linux works on it then you should have no problems getting windows to work on it. Just talk to customer service and let them know you want to be able to download windows drivers for your hardware, I'm sure they will tell you how to get them.

Thanks Angel.
I am not getting the answers I hoped for but that is reality. :-)

My only cconcern now besides the $100 cost of MicroShite is fixing any stomping of the boot loader.

Thanks,
Joe

steveneddy
November 16th, 2009, 09:08 AM
no offence but sounds like an ad...

Well - I use what works.

System76 has been a great purchase for me. My youngest daughter in college has a new System76 lappie but also uses a dual boot MacBook Pro (OSX and Vista).

I live on the road and my hardware must work, 100% of the time.

Trust me, if you can afford it, System76 is really the way to go.

Everything works on my two and a half year old laptop, USB, Firewire, SD Card reader, touchpad, wireless, nvidia video card and webcam. Out of the box with no fiddling.

I guess I could buy a $300 laptop and screw around with it, but I just don't have the time.

Here (http://webapps.ubuntu.com/certification/list/?category=Laptop) is a small list of Ubuntu compatible laptops. Other lists can be found on the internet.

tony1212
November 16th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I've put 9.10 (desktop not NBR) on my Aspire One 110 net book and all is working just fine, WiFi included.

tittiger
November 16th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I've put 9.10 (desktop not NBR) on my Aspire One 110 net book and all is working just fine, WiFi included.

Thanks Tony

I have a full sized Acer Aspire (I dont know the chipset off hand)
but WiFi is not working.
This is the $350 special Acer at best buy this month.

Joe

atomizer
November 16th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Here is a "real" anwser:

Any laptop with an Atheros wifi will work.
The Atheros wifi chipset works out of the box.

The Atheros AR242 is a chipset that is used on a lot of laptops.

tittiger
November 16th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I have had a good experience with hp laptops, though at earlier releases of ubuntu there were a few issues, a workaround was often available.

I can really say that every HP laptop will work with ubuntu well, but when I was shopping around for a laptop, I finally landed eyes on my trust tx1320us, then I googled around and found out that other people had been using ubuntu on it, which was a good sign. I then made sure that every thing was working or had a work-around. Once I had done my research I went ahead and bought the laptop.

In summary,find the laptop you want first, then do some research on whether everything works and how to get it working.

I think there are lots of people like me that want a new but inexpensive laptop that dual boots. (read my earlier post for what I think the developers should do.)

Anyhew it would be nice to say the least if there were a central list of laptops that worked with Ubuntu versions if you happen to not buy them with Ubuntu on them.

steveneddy
November 16th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I think there are lots of people like me that want a new but inexpensive laptop that dual boots. (read my earlier post for what I think the developers should do.)

Anyhew it would be nice to say the least if there were a central list of laptops that worked with Ubuntu versions if you happen to not buy them with Ubuntu on them.

There is a link with that request on my post above.

EDIT:

Google.com is great search tool for all of your answers.

Look Here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=linux+compatible+laptops&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

and here:

http://www.linux-laptop.net/

tittiger
November 16th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Here is a "real" anwser:

Any laptop with an Atheros wifi will work.
The Atheros wifi chipset works out of the box.

The Atheros AR242 is a chipset that is used on a lot of laptops.

Grrrr My Acer has the Atheros AR5B93 chipset.

Joe

tittiger
November 16th, 2009, 10:09 AM
There is a link with that request on my post above.

EDIT:

Google.com is great search tool for all of your answers.

Look Here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=linux+compatible+laptops&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

and here:

http://www.linux-laptop.net/

Great search terms thanks.
Though I hate the way they obvuskate the model Acer that I have:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?id=pcat17080&type=page&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1~~q70726f63657373696e6774696d653a3e313930302d3031 2d3031~~cabcat0500000%23%230%23%2311a~~cabcat05020 00%23%230%23%23o~~f518||4c657373207468616e20243630 30~~nf510||41636572&list=y&nrp=15&sc=abComputerSP&ks=960&usc=abcat0500000&sp=%2Bcurrentprice+skuid&list=y&iht=n&st=processingtime%3A%3E1900-01-01

While I may not opt for a system 76 I can afford a Dell (I know :)

thanks again

Zoot7
November 16th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I've had no issues since Gutsy on my Dell XPS M1530.

steveneddy
November 19th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Great search terms thanks.
Though I hate the way they obvuskate the model Acer that I have:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?id=pcat17080&type=page&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1~~q70726f63657373696e6774696d653a3e313930302d3031 2d3031~~cabcat0500000%23%230%23%2311a~~cabcat05020 00%23%230%23%23o~~f518||4c657373207468616e20243630 30~~nf510||41636572&list=y&nrp=15&sc=abComputerSP&ks=960&usc=abcat0500000&sp=%2Bcurrentprice+skuid&list=y&iht=n&st=processingtime%3A%3E1900-01-01 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?id=pcat17080&type=page&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1%7E%7Eq70726f63657373696e6774696d653a3e313930302d 30312d3031%7E%7Ecabcat0500000%23%230%23%2311a%7E%7 Ecabcat0502000%23%230%23%23o%7E%7Ef518%7C%7C4c6573 73207468616e2024363030%7E%7Enf510%7C%7C41636572&list=y&nrp=15&sc=abComputerSP&ks=960&usc=abcat0500000&sp=%2Bcurrentprice+skuid&list=y&iht=n&st=processingtime%3A%3E1900-01-01)

While I may not opt for a system 76 I can afford a Dell (I know :)

thanks again

I hope it helped.

Muskegman
November 19th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I installed ubuntu jaunty a few days ago on a cheap Acer 4520 laptop AMD64 and it recognized all my wifi, webcam, wireless modem, sierra aircard and it works like a dream, never had any trouble with it yet.

Maybe your not quite ready for Linux yet. Good luck with your switch back to Window$ ;)

slip5789
November 19th, 2009, 07:21 PM
if you installed it on 2 separate computers and neither worked, thats kinda long odds that its a compatibility issue, unless you have two cloned computers.
Sometimes ubuntu can be a little wonky with drivers tho, might look into that.

Before buying a new laptop, check to see if the fwcutter tool is installed on the ones that don't work. If they have a broadcom wifi card (a lot of laptops do) then they wont work without it. Broadcom cards use proprietary drivers and wont work out-of-the-box with Ubuntu.

Georgia boy
November 19th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I was reading in other posts about Ubutnu laptops. One suggestion was ZAREASON. I went to that site. I may be wrong but from what I understand them to say is that they will put anything you want on it.
You might want to go to that site and check them out and see if they have anything to offer that you might be interested in. Go through the tabs in their site and read what they have. Hopefully you'll find something there.

Tom