PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] iTunes in Wine

asuastrophysics
November 16th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone out there has had any luck running itunes in wine.

Right now, I'm running itunes 8 and it works pretty well, but it isn't perfect.

what is the fastest and most stable version of itunes that runs in wine? is there a version / modification that will make itunes run at "Platinum Quality" (the winehq website rates applications on the order of garbage, bronz, silver, gold, and platinum, according to their usability)

also, are there any native DLL's i should load to help speed up the UI?

Thanks!! :)

coldReactive
November 16th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Most of the time, testers from winehq first install the program in windows then copy it over, which is just plain stupid if you ask me. They should focus on it being able to install rather than having people install the program first in windows then copy it over. *slaps whoever made a gold test on Flash CS3 this way, because until it installs, it's garbage.*

syntr
November 16th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Sorry, "Platinum Quality" can only be achieved in VirtualBox. (even that's not perfect, iPod touch firmwares don't update)...

ArinSky
November 16th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Most of the time, testers from winehq first install the program in windows then copy it over, which is just plain stupid if you ask me. They should focus on it being able to install rather than having people install the program first in windows then copy it over. *slaps whoever made a gold test on Flash CS3 this way, because until it installs, it's garbage.*

yeah, kinda annoying... part of the reason i dual boot win 7. Just use it to store files and to update programs wine has problems with like ddo/lotr.

asuastrophysics
November 16th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Sorry, "Platinum Quality" can only be achieved in VirtualBox. (even that's not perfect, iPod touch firmwares don't update)...

is there a "gold" quality?

I don't necessarily "need" platinum quality, I'm just wondering what version of itunes works best in wine 1.1.31. ;)

are there any custom "library" DLL's I can run in winecfg to make itunes run faster?

Meskarune
November 16th, 2009, 05:23 AM
You should just use songbird. It plays all the file formats other linux players cannot, and has a much faster and better interface than itunes. Plus its open source.

asuastrophysics
November 16th, 2009, 07:19 AM
You should just use songbird. It plays all the file formats other linux players cannot, and has a much faster and better interface than itunes. Plus its open source.

Songbird is a very nice app! ;) I was just wondering because I'm not sure at this point if songbird updates firmware / does restores.

Also, I kinda wanted to use iTunes because I needed to change some of my music formats around.

For daily music, I'm actually using songbird right now. On a few rare occasions though, I have had to use iTunes for restores / stuff like that.

itsbrad212
November 16th, 2009, 08:04 AM
use an app called banshee :D it will sync up to your ipod, and i think you can install an itunes theme on it if im not mistaken

k3lt01
November 16th, 2009, 10:22 AM
use an app called banshee :D it will sync up to your ipod, and i think you can install an itunes theme on it if im not mistakenBanshee is still a very hit-and-miss affair with some iPods, like my 120gb Classic for example. It will load music onto it but not where it needs to be, eg Podcasts don't go into Podcasts, and wont load other things like Audio Books as Apple intended either.

nitstorm
November 16th, 2009, 10:53 AM
What about rythmbox??? works well with shuffle for me...

syntr
November 16th, 2009, 11:08 PM
For daily music, I'm actually using songbird right now. On a few rare occasions though, I have had to use iTunes for restores / stuff like that.
those functions are currently impossible in Linux. :(

asuastrophysics
November 17th, 2009, 01:21 AM
those functions are currently impossible in Linux. :(

oh okay, that's what i was wondering. I was imagining a fully-working, albeit older version of itunes that i could run in wine.

i know there are other music players out there for linux, but it would be pretty cool of a version of itunes was working flawlessly :D