PDA

View Full Version : Do you rather emulate for working: Macintosh or Windows?

frenchn00b
November 16th, 2009, 12:31 AM
SOmetimes one need to get back to old macintosh or windows, under Linux.

Well I recommand :
http://www.peachpit.com/ShowCover.aspx?isbn=0201353512

Balistik or Wine or VMware or virtualbox can let us use again windows or macintosh.
Sometimes one need to emulate one of either mac or windows. Which one you favour?
Me, Macintosh, I find it cool, stable, nice, and better than windows. I use it time to time as my old mac, for ms word.

NoaHall
November 16th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I don't understand your question.

dragos240
November 16th, 2009, 12:33 AM
I don't understand your question.

+1.

I have no idea what he's asking.

frenchn00b
November 16th, 2009, 12:39 AM
+1.

I have no idea what he's asking.

Balistik or Wine or VMware or virtualbox can let us use again windows or macintosh.
Sometimes one need to emulate one of either mac or windows. Which one you favour?
Me, Macintosh, I find it cool, stable, nice, and better than windows. I use it time to time as my old mac, for ms word.

dragos240
November 16th, 2009, 12:51 AM

You need to work on your grammar.

the8thstar
November 16th, 2009, 12:59 AM
@dragos: Give the guy a break man. Speaking a foreign language doesn't come easy.

@frenchnoob: Je suis curieux de savoir comment tu fais pour faire tourne OSX dans une machine virtuelle?

Xbehave
November 16th, 2009, 01:00 AM
wine is not an emulator, so i prefer to use wine as it doesn't need me to have a copy of windows/mac about.

Also apple's EULA makes it illegal to run mac os X on non apple hardware, whereas emulating windows XP or 7 is fine.

@dragos: Give the guy a break man. Speaking a foreign language doesn't come easy.
+1

dragos240
November 16th, 2009, 01:01 AM

True. I come across rude sometimes. Even though I don't mean that. I'm trying to learn japanese so......

Chronon
November 16th, 2009, 01:23 AM
As was mentioned, you need to have Apple hardware to run Mac OS as a guest system. I run XP as guest since it has no such restriction.

koleoptero
November 16th, 2009, 01:32 AM
wine is not an emulator, so i prefer to use wine as it doesn't need me to have a copy of windows/mac about.

Also apple's EULA makes it illegal to run mac os X on non apple hardware, whereas emulating windows XP or 7 is fine.

+1
WinE = Windows Emulator

The rest are not emulators.

phrostbyte
November 16th, 2009, 01:33 AM
WinE = Windows Emulator

Wine Is Not an Emulator

Greg
November 16th, 2009, 01:33 AM
WinE = Windows Emulator

'1.1. Why do some people write WINE and not Wine?

They are using the acronym "Wine Is Not an Emulator", the original name for the project. While recursive acronyms are clever, there really is no point to the capital letters. They look ugly, so please use the simpler, current name of the project: Wine. It's what we use.'

From the Wine FAQ.

koleoptero
November 16th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Well pardon me for being wrong then. :)

dragos240
November 16th, 2009, 03:47 AM
wine = windows emulator

the rest are not emulators.

wine = wine is not an emulator.

keplerspeed
November 16th, 2009, 03:58 AM
The name 'Wine' derives from the recursive acronym Wine Is Not an Emulator. While the name sometimes appears in the forms "WINE" and "wine", the project developers have agreed to standardize on the form "Wine"

Rather than acting as a full emulator, Wine implements a compatibility layer

wine wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_%28software%29)

betrunkenaffe
November 16th, 2009, 04:26 AM
indeed, WinEmu was Windows Emulator

frenchn00b
November 16th, 2009, 06:56 PM
You need to work on your grammar.

I would be very happy and glad if you could correct the bad grammar, to learn and improve a bit. I wish I were better in english.

@frenchnoob: Je suis curieux de savoir comment tu fais pour faire tourne OSX dans une machine virtuelle?

OSX under Linux Ubuntu , WIKI:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1265153
pour le ubuntu monsieur de tourcoing
Your welcome

--
edit: tourner

spupy
November 16th, 2009, 08:14 PM
As was mentioned, you need to have Apple hardware to run Mac OS as a guest system. I run XP as guest since it has no such restriction.

Yeah, that certainly stopped me from running OSX in vmware. There is OSX86 which takes care of the technical part. The legal part is a whole another story...

Chronon
November 16th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I am aware of OSX86. I just don't have a really compelling reason to violate their EULA so that I can use their OS. They really don't want me to use their OS? Fine. I won't.

spupy
November 16th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Yeah, I am aware of OSX86. I just don't have a really compelling reason to violate their EULA so that I can use their OS. They really don't want me to use their OS? Fine. I won't.

Yeah. Even if it runs, it is pain in every body part to use. If you use OS X in a virtual machine, you need a very good computer, otherwise it will feel sluggish like a 10-month old malware-infested Windows XP installation. It takes away from the experience that is osx.

I emulated Windows XP once, to play diablo 2. It was running quite nicely. Then I found WINE. :)

frenchn00b
November 16th, 2009, 09:43 PM

this is the right decision. That's why we have to keep working on Linux and developping. I have too say that mac os x has better tools than linux for office work.

frenchn00b
November 16th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Yeah. Even if it runs, it is pain in every body part to use. If you use OS X in a virtual machine, you need a very good computer, otherwise it will feel sluggish like a 10-month old malware-infested Windows XP installation. It takes away from the experience that is osx.

I emulated Windows XP once, to play diablo 2. It was running quite nicely. Then I found WINE. :)

wine is slow
windows 98 and qemu is slow, whatever one use.
system 7 is not legal.

So solutions:
- use the old mac at home, with a net connection to the server
- install slackware instead of any windows

forget emulations: use samba and one xp for gaming.

that it. Wine is slow and buggy, but sometimes very useful time to time.

Linux is future ;) :)