PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen this?

NoaHall
November 15th, 2009, 11:38 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-859-1

Check it out. Shouldn't be too much of a problem to home users, but it will be to servers.

benj1
November 15th, 2009, 11:45 PM
whats the problem? the vulnerabilities have been identified and patched, and are already available in the repos.
the only way there would be a problem is if you didn't keep your system up to date.

NoaHall
November 15th, 2009, 11:46 PM
whats the problem? the vulnerabilities have been identified and patched, and are already available in the repos.
the only way there would be a problem is if you didn't keep your system up to date.

It might surprise you to know some people don't always update their systems.

benj1
November 15th, 2009, 11:49 PM
It might surprise you to know some people don't always update their systems.

it doesn't no, but thats the bigger security hole, it isn't as if its hard to update your system.

wilee-nilee
November 15th, 2009, 11:52 PM
You would also have to fall for a social engineered trick.

NoaHall
November 15th, 2009, 11:54 PM
it doesn't no, but thats the bigger security hole, it isn't as if its hard to update your system.

That's not the point.

Besides, I expect people are wary about updating Java, it tends to break sometimes(in my experience)

23dornot23d
November 15th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Its good info to point out though ....

for those that have not updated and installed

This risk ......... as said is already sorted .........

as some might not want to do the full upgrade but just add the 2 items mentioned .....

Flimm
November 16th, 2009, 12:00 AM
That's not the point.

Besides, I expect people are wary about updating Java, it tends to break sometimes(in my experience)
What is your point?
Mistakes are made by everybody. Here we've discovered a security vulnerability, so Ubuntu releases a security update for it. What more could be done? Obviously, developers should make software as secure as possible to start with, but like I said, mistakes happen, and you can't reasonably expect all software to be bug free on release. Most open source projects "release early and release often", so installing updates, (especially ones that are marked "important security updates) is a must if you want a secure system.

benj1
November 16th, 2009, 12:00 AM
That's not the point.

not to be rude, but it is the point, you can't expect linux to be bug free, it isn't now, and probably never will be, all we can hope is that bugs are patched in a timely fashion which it has been, it is then the responsibility of the user to make sure his/her system is up to date.

if you had a virus scanner that you didn't update, would you complain to the virus scanner company when you got infected with a virus?

NoaHall
November 16th, 2009, 12:01 AM
What is your point?
Mistakes are made by everybody. Here we've discovered a security vulnerability, so Ubuntu releases a security update for it. What more could be done? Obviously, developers should make software as secure as possible to start with, but like I said, mistakes happen, and you can't reasonably expect all software to be bug free on release. Most open source projects "release early and release often", so installing updates, (especially ones that are marked "important security updates) is a must if you want a secure system.

What are you talking about? I'm not making a point, I was just asking if anyone had seen it, and making sure those which hadn't have, so they know to make sure the update.

NoaHall
November 16th, 2009, 12:02 AM
not to be rude, but it is the point, you can't expect linux to be bug free, it isn't now, and probably never will be, all we can hope is that bugs are patched in a timely fashion which it has been, it is then the responsibility of the user to make sure his/her system is up to date.

if you had a virus scanner that you didn't update, would you complain to the virus scanner company when you got infected with a virus?

It's not the point! I'm not trying to make a point! I'm just reporting the details so everyone knows to update!

benj1
November 16th, 2009, 12:04 AM
as some might not want to do the full upgrade but just add the 2 items mentioned .....
its patched in 8.04, 9.04 and 9.10 so it should just appear as a normal update, no need for a full upgrade at all (assuming you aren't using 6.10 are something).

benj1
November 16th, 2009, 12:08 AM
It's not the point! I'm not trying to make a point! I'm just reporting the details so everyone knows to update!

well we will have to agree to disagree on what the point is.
can we agree though, that it is best practise to keep your system up to date ?

NoaHall
November 16th, 2009, 12:10 AM
can we agree though, that it is best practise to keep your system up to date ?

What is there for you to disagree with!
Some people don't always update their systems - fact.
People SHOULD update their systems - fact.
I was just reporting the bug on here so everyone knew - fact.

What is there, in those statements, that you disagree with?

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 16th, 2009, 12:11 AM

*facepalm*

benj1
November 16th, 2009, 12:24 AM

i said
"it doesn't no, but thats the bigger security hole, it isn't as if its hard to update your system."
you said
"thats not the point"
i said
"not to be rude, but it is the point"
you said
"It's not the point! I'm not trying to make a point!"

I think it is the point, you said its not the point, we disagree.
unless im misinterpreting "thats not the point"???

so i don't disagree with any of those statements because that is what ive been saying all along.
this would match up with the final sentence of my last post
"can we agree though, that it is best practise to keep your system up to date ?"

NoaHall
November 16th, 2009, 12:25 AM
it isn't as if its hard to update your system.
That isn't the point.
Get it?

benj1
November 16th, 2009, 12:37 AM
That isn't the point.
Get it?

i agree on that point, you could have made that clearer earlier tho :p

wilee-nilee
November 16th, 2009, 12:38 AM

Facts=fallacy sometimes, it is a point of context.

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 16th, 2009, 01:41 AM
i said
"it doesn't no, but thats the bigger security hole, it isn't as if its hard to update your system."
you said
"thats not the point"
i said
"not to be rude, but it is the point"
you said
"It's not the point! I'm not trying to make a point!"

I think it is the point, you said its not the point, we disagree.
unless im misinterpreting "thats not the point"???

so i don't disagree with any of those statements because that is what ive been saying all along.
this would match up with the final sentence of my last post
"can we agree though, that it is best practise to keep your system up to date ?"
*Abandons facepalming and full on slams head into desk several times and then runs off naked, screaming into the night*