PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about shell scripts.

Sin@Sin-Sacrifice
November 15th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I was reading an old post of mine from last December and noticed that someone helping me said that they didn't know much about the command used in the script. Well... after a long hiatus I decided to finally learn this crazy stuff. Can the command affect the way a script needs to be written? Thanks in advance.

0cton
November 15th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I would recommend you to rephrase your question.

Sin@Sin-Sacrifice
November 15th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Ok... If I were to write a shell script to mount several filesystems on boot as oppose to writing a script to unmount them, other than the obvious use of a different command, would I have to write the script differently? I noticed that when I was trying to write a script to make ffmpeg convert all my videos to mp4s I could use on my G1 one of the people helping me said he didn't know enough about ffmpeg. I would assume the command and its parameters would really have nothing to do with how the script is written unless the script does more than one thing with that command. It would seem like, from what he said, that that's not the case and in fact a command determines the way the script needs to be written so that it can work correctly.

Sorry if this sounds dumb but I just want to learn...

benj1
November 15th, 2009, 11:38 PM
in general no, the structure of the script would stay the same, but there are probably exceptions

Sin@Sin-Sacrifice
November 15th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Thanks... helps a lot.