PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] When GNOME 3 comes out, what should I switch to?

Dullstar
November 15th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I saw some screenshots of GNOME 3, and honestly, it seems like one of the worst DE's I've ever seen (but not THE worst). When this comes out and distros dump the current GNOME in favor of GNOME 3, what should I change to?

lovinglinux
November 15th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I have already changed to KDE because of Gnome Shell and I'm loving it.

alienclone
November 16th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I saw some screenshots of GNOME 3, and honestly, it seems like one of the worst DE's I've ever seen (but not THE worst). When this comes out and distros dump the current GNOME in favor of GNOME 3, what should I change to?

instead of trying to decide from just "some screenshots", why not wait till it comes out, play with it a bit, give it a chance, tweak it to your liking as much as possible, THEN, if you still dont like it, ask the question again.

Sayers
November 16th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Yeah kde 4 was not too good for such a long time. Where did you see gnome 3 screenshots?

sammcj
November 16th, 2009, 03:49 AM
I've found the latest Gnome too slow / laggy, changed to XFCE, Love it! - VERY fast

found KDE to be bloated and somewhat illogical when it came to work-flow.

http://www.xubuntu.org/

"Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment for various *NIX systems. Designed for productivity, it loads and executes applications fast, while conserving system resources."

Dullstar
November 16th, 2009, 03:52 AM
I tried KDE, but I can't seem to figure out how to get online, as I can't find a way to get connected to the Internet. Other than that, it's great.

Dullstar
November 16th, 2009, 03:54 AM
I have already changed to KDE because of Gnome Shell and I'm loving it.

You know, I think I'll just make the switch now...I mean, they've got to have ironed out some of the bugs [in 9.10, I mean] by now!

Maybe, anyways. But first I'm going to see if I can fix the problem...

HalfEmptyHero
November 17th, 2009, 05:34 AM
I felt the same way, until I tried gnome-shell. I actually like it quite a bit.

coldReactive
November 17th, 2009, 05:35 AM
instead of trying to decide from just "some screenshots", why not wait till it comes out, play with it a bit, give it a chance, tweak it to your liking as much as possible, THEN, if you still dont like it, ask the question again.

Here you go,

Currently, gnome shell lacks:

-- Indicator Applet for Empathy/Evolutin
-- Weather Applet for next to the time
-- global menu replacement (because global menu requires gnome panel)
-- alt+tab (See This Bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/483956))
-- default wrokspace value to start with that you can set via gconf/etc.
-- recordmydesktop causes the gnome-shell panel to be removed, causing you not to be able to stop recording (See This Bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/recordmydesktop/+bug/483325))

I've tested it myself, and ultimately went back to regular gnome.

gnome panel won't appear and cannot run when gnome-shell runs (nor can gnome-shell run when a panel can't be quit.)

Dullstar
November 17th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I kinda like KDE better than even the current GNOME, so I'll switch over to that.