PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Migrating old accounts from Gutsy to Karmic

DaddyHoggy
November 15th, 2009, 09:43 PM
(Apologies if this or similar has been asked before but my search only threw up one similar sounding thread and it was suggested on that thread that I started one of my own).

Although I've been using Ubuntu for a while (since Fiesty) I've never done much with it (other than just use it "out the box" as it were), so apologies if these appear to be Newbie questions.

Basics:

1x 80GB HD with 40GB Gutsy Gibbon partition with two user accounts (my own and my wife's) + 40GB XP partition

1x 'spare' 80GB HD

2x 'spare' 40GB HDs

Plan:

To upgrade from Gutsy Gibbon to Karmic Koala and give it an 80GB HD of its own (and to give my XP partition (a disk infact) 80GB of its own)

To do this I plan on using a copy of Acronis True image to back-up the two 40GB images of my current 80GB HD on to the 2 40GB HDs

Install Karmic on the 'spare' 80GB HD and then copy back what I want off the original 40GB Gutsy partition (now copied to a separate 40GB HD so I can expand my original XP into the full 80GB of original 80GB disk (the back up of XP on to other 40GB HD is just in case it all goes wrong!).

However, this is where I'm on dodgy ground and would like some help:

/home - if I simply copy the /home dir from the Gutsy disk to the new Karmic disk (by slaving it and booting up with both insitu (GRUB?) is that enough to restore all my local files and settings (it will be used in the same machine so settings should be OK (shouldn't they?!) i.e. all my docs, music, photos videos, emails (I use Evolution) and Firefox settings (and those of my wife).

If this is a 'yes' then that's good and half the battle! If 'no' or 'sort of' what do I need to do? The second part of my query is that I've installed quite a few apps (as has my wife) - games, OpenOffice, VLC, GIMP and loads of stuff I can't even recall at the moment! So my secondary question is: Where do they live - and can they be easily moved without being reinstalled? (I don't mind upgrading once they've moved - some stuff (such as VLC) doesn't seem to upgrade under Gutsy anymore (but that's a different noob question for another day).

In the end what I'm hoping to have is 1x80GB HD with Karmic on it, with all my old Gutsy files and settings and apps and 1x80GB HD with XP on it, using GRUB (??) to effectively select between two disks rather than the current state of affairs - two partitions of the same HD.

Then I can start 'playing' with Karmic and catch up on how much Ubuntu has moved on since 7.10!

Any help very much appreciated - because if I break this - my better half with throttle me! ;)

Sef
November 15th, 2009, 09:54 PM
To upgrade from Gutsy Gibbon to Karmic Koala

You need to do a clean install. Gutsy is no longer supported. A clean install will wipe out all the data on the partition that it is installed to. Back upall of your data first.

DaddyHoggy
November 16th, 2009, 11:55 PM
You need to do a clean install. Gutsy is no longer supported. A clean install will wipe out all the data on the partition that it is installed to. Back upall of your data first.

Hmmm, I'm not sure you fully read my request.

I specifically state that I'm going to do a clean install of Karmic onto another HD what I want to know if I can easily move all my settings and documents, etc (i.e. the /home accounts of me and my wife) to the Karmic install from my Gutsy install. (I also state that I'm going to back the 40GB partition to another 40GB disk just to be on the safe side)

The lack of support for Gutsy is the primary reason for the upgrade.

Any additional help, much appreciated.