PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrading to windows 7 while dual booting ubuntu 9.10

bsb25
November 15th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I recently partitioned my hard drive and installed ubuntu 9.10 on the second half. I'm also running windows vista. I want to upgrade vista to windows 7. I have all my important files on a separate hard drive, so I'm not overly concerned about losing any information. What is the easiest way for me to upgrade? Will I need to uninstall ubuntu and if so, how to I do that? I'm new to the linux world for the most part and I only have beginner's knowledge of the command line. Thanks for your help!

darkod
November 15th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Since you have the important data on external drive, the next question is whether you want to do upgrade (keep programs, etc), or clean install of 7 (you would have to install all programs back but you avoid any possibility of upgrade glitches).

Whatever you decide I think windows will write its own bootloader over grub2, so read around about reinstalling grub2 back after you are done with windows.

For example:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

Item number 13, Reinstalling Grub2 using LiveCD (in other words, Ubuntu CD, booting up and selecting Try Ubuntu option).

Trebaruna
November 15th, 2009, 09:33 PM
darkod is right. To make things a little more explicit (perhaps redundantly): Windows should not touch your other partition(s) at all. If it does it's a bug. So Ubuntu will be fine, and all it takes is, like darkod says, to restore the bootloader.

bsb25
November 16th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks guys. Everything is working perfectly now.

darkod
November 16th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Glad it worked. Please mark the thread as solved. Above the first post there is Thread Tools, you can do it there. Helps other people.