PDA

View Full Version : Check out this site mslinux.org and post your impressions!

linbetwin
November 5th, 2005, 03:05 PM
It's official, Microsoft releases Linux distro (http://www.mslinux.org/).

Sirin
November 5th, 2005, 03:15 PM
That is 100% a hoax. Microsoft would not and will NEVER contribute to the Open Source community. Not to mention the humorous background of the site, also.

"They want me to be a http://gta-sector.planet-multiplayer.de/cms/uploads/Newsbilder/ersb_ao.gif, and they want me to like it!" -- Linus Torvalds

blackant
November 5th, 2005, 03:16 PM
hahaha.. what a joke.
:razz:

DoeRayMe
November 5th, 2005, 03:28 PM
well i know for a fact Microsoft would not put this on a site

"This is horse****. Horse****, horse****, horse****. And for those of you who don't know what that means, it's the **** that comes from a horse!"
-- Greg, Columbia Internet

lmao

linbetwin
November 5th, 2005, 03:33 PM
That is 100% a hoax. Microsoft would not and will NEVER contribute to the Open Source community. Not to mention the humorous background of the site, also.

You can say what you want, but I can't wait to activate my distro and to install my Genuine Linux Activation addon in Internet Xplorer! And to fool mess up my registry!

Please post suggestions for new and exciting features!

Sirin
November 5th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Please post suggestions for new and exciting features!

So, you work for Microsoft, then? You Spy! :o

DoeRayMe
November 5th, 2005, 03:43 PM
couple of reasons this is fake

1. Half the links dont work, which microsoft would check and maintain
2. The design is very weak, microsoft would not produce something so eye hurting, they would want people to buy, not leave the site
3. There are swear-words on the site, that would get Microsoft in trouble, as it doesnt have a warning

4. "Microsoft Invades Cuba
Microsoft's plan to invade cuba and overthrow the government has succeeded. One Microsoft official said "It's a win-win situation. The US Government is happy and shuts up the DOJ while Microsoft institutes a monopoly within Cuba for everything from computer software to toilet paper. One more step closer to world domination. Heck, we could feed a whole development department for the cost of one developer's salary in the US. They may not know how to create an Operating System very well, but neither do our US developers.""

Very unlikely

Need anymore?

linbetwin
November 5th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Yes, you caught me! My job is to make GNOME look like Windwoes XP, so that Bill doesn't have to admit to people who see his Mac that he's running Linux.

DoeRayMe
November 5th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Is that your site? if so linking Microsoft like that could get you into some very deep hot water

Keep that in mind

nsa_767
November 5th, 2005, 03:49 PM
<SARCASTIC> LOL, this is an excellent hoax... It is a near perfect spoof of the M$ site.<SARCASTIC>

For a second, it almost had me believing the unbelievable.... Well, no! :razz:

linbetwin
November 5th, 2005, 03:50 PM
couple of reasons this is fake

1. Half the links dont work, which microsoft would check and maintain
2. The design is very weak, microsoft would not produce something so eye hurting, they would want people to buy, not leave the site
3. There are swear-words on the site, that would get Microsoft in trouble, as it doesnt have a warning

4. "Microsoft Invades Cuba
Microsoft's plan to invade cuba and overthrow the government has succeeded. One Microsoft official said "It's a win-win situation. The US Government is happy and shuts up the DOJ while Microsoft institutes a monopoly within Cuba for everything from computer software to toilet paper. One more step closer to world domination. Heck, we could feed a whole development department for the cost of one developer's salary in the US. They may not know how to create an Operating System very well, but neither do our US developers.""

Very unlikely

Need anymore?

Wow! you really shed some light! Just when I was about to order the Home version!

linbetwin
November 5th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Is that your site? if so linking Microsoft like that could get you into some very deep hot water

Keep that in mind

No, it's not my site, but I wish I had that idea.

linbetwin
November 5th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Come on, people! Did anybody think even for a second that the site was anything but a Hoas?!

linbetwin
November 5th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Come on, people! Did anybody think even for a second that the site was anything but a Hoas?!

I meant "hoax", sorry for the typo.

Sirin
November 5th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Come on, people! Did anybody think even for a second that the site was anything but a Hoax?!

http://pbskids.org/lions/printables/coloring/images/no.gif

jeremy
November 5th, 2005, 04:25 PM
This is the best bit in my opinion:

How do I get MS Linux?

We are now offering the MS Linux Introductory CD at a special introductory price of only $249.99 (plus shipping and handling), if you order before it ships.

dueyfinster
November 6th, 2005, 12:30 AM
It's well made and looks the part on first glance, but the link to slashdot is so unbelievable!

blastus
November 6th, 2005, 01:39 AM
Microsoft has announced that a team of monkeys will be shot into space in 2005 to establish the first Martian Colony. At a recent press conference, Bill Gates confirmed, "We are already training the monkeys to do simple tasks like reboot the space ship when it blue screens. The space vehicle will be running our newest product, SpacePod 2004. This product will instruct the monkeys how to colonize Mars and establish trade with the Martians. We intend to monopolize this market before Human travel to Mars is possible." :) :p :)

Kapre
November 6th, 2005, 01:58 AM
Made me smile. Made me look. LOL

K

racecat
November 6th, 2005, 02:52 AM
It's not even a new hoax. Last updated in 2000. I'm surprised this steamer hasn't floated before this (if the "page last updated" date is believable).

Bill

Malphas
November 6th, 2005, 02:59 AM
Yeah, it's pretty ancient.

gdadd
November 13th, 2005, 03:15 AM
When I saw this link I had to sheck it out. Is this the most arrogant thing you have ever seen? www.mslinux.org/-23k-nov-11-2005
GDADD tim

majikstreet
November 13th, 2005, 03:22 AM
Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster

Error 404

www.mslinux.org
Sat 12 Nov 2005 08:22:09 PM CST
Apache/2.0.40 (Red Hat Linux)

that's arrogant?

xequence
November 13th, 2005, 03:24 AM
that's arrogant?

Yes.

spizkapa
November 13th, 2005, 03:42 AM
When I saw this link I had to sheck it out. Is this the most arrogant thing you have ever seen? www.mslinux.org/-23k-nov-11-2005
GDADD tim

I thought it was hilarious and a spoof, clearly. Oh, and you got the link wrong, which is why you're getting strange replies. Just take the -23-nov-11-2005 from the end.

majikstreet
November 13th, 2005, 03:57 AM
If it's just mslinux.org, that's old news :P

linuxden
February 13th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Hey all,

I stumbled across this the other day and was kinda shocked, I always wanted to ask but never got round to it...

So has anyone got any info on http://www.mslinux.org/ LMAO!!!

enjoy!

nocturn
February 13th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Hey all,

I stumbled across this the other day and was kinda shocked, I always wanted to ask but never got round to it...

So has anyone got any info on http://www.mslinux.org/ LMAO!!!

enjoy!

It's a joke

FrankTM
February 13th, 2006, 04:42 PM
I guess this one is a hoax
there have been some attemps though, to make a distro that supports both linux and windows software

but all of those use wine to support windows software, just as every other distro :p

linuxden
February 13th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Nocturn that sure was a swift reply...!! lol

It cracked me up so bad i thought i should share it....

I wonder how they dont get shut down...??

wrtpeeps
February 13th, 2006, 05:07 PM
maybe microsoft aren't aware of it yet. They will probably get shut down soon for using the microsoft logo etc.

Sheinar
February 13th, 2006, 05:12 PM
It's been up for ages and I'm pretty sure it's not going to get shut down, unless the person takes it down themself.

terrifiedkiller
November 30th, 2007, 06:26 PM
http://www.mslinux.org/

atlfalcons866
November 30th, 2007, 06:37 PM
MS Linux is released under the provisions of the Gates Private License:lolflag:

jrharvey
November 30th, 2007, 06:41 PM
I CANNOT believe they are charging $250 for that. I would definately have to try it before i go buying a $250 Microsoft product. I wonder if it is even any better than any other FREE linux. I highly doubt it.

jrharvey
November 30th, 2007, 06:43 PM
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/05/28/100033867/

Another reason I WONT be using MS Linux

This could mean good things for driver support though. :)
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1768170,00.asp

blur xc
October 15th, 2009, 11:28 PM
http://www.mslinux.org/

BM

jrusso2
October 15th, 2009, 11:31 PM
A joke that has been on going for many years.

RiceMonster
October 15th, 2009, 11:31 PM
A joke.

dragos240
October 15th, 2009, 11:32 PM
MS Linux: Shipping in November 2003

It's a joke, and an OLD joke.

pat23_2007
October 16th, 2009, 12:18 AM
You really know its a joke when it says:

Microsoft Invades Cuba
Microsoft's plan to invade cuba and overthrow the government has succeeded. One Microsoft official said "It's a win-win situation. The US Government is happy and shuts up the DOJ while Microsoft institutes a monopoly within Cuba for everything from computer software to toilet paper. One more step closer to world domination. Heck, we could feed a whole development department for the cost of one developer's salary in the US. They may not know how to create an Operating System very well, but neither do our US developers."

in the News section...

Crunchy the Headcrab
October 16th, 2009, 01:03 AM
..."but neither do our US developers."

Mwahahaha. Epic.

blur xc
October 16th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Thanks, I'll have to go back and read some more... Obviously I didn't read enough to tell it was a joke.

BM

misfitpierce
October 16th, 2009, 04:22 AM
You can tell its a joke form the right column saying microsoft overthrows cubas government... ha!

Giant Speck
October 16th, 2009, 04:26 AM
I thought this was going to be some joke website about OpenSUSE.

kio_http
November 15th, 2009, 09:00 PM
this link (http://mslinux.org/)

dragos240
November 15th, 2009, 09:01 PM
this link (http://mslinux.org/)

That is really old. Everyone here knows about it.

kio_http
November 15th, 2009, 09:05 PM
So did I for years. Thought it isn't updated anymore for a very long time.:mad:

dragos240
November 15th, 2009, 09:07 PM
So did I for years. Thought it isn't updated anymore for a very long time.:mad:

Yeah. 2000. 9 years ago.

RiceMonster
November 15th, 2009, 09:08 PM
My impressions:

It's a joke.

kio_http
November 15th, 2009, 09:10 PM
My impressions:

It's a joke.

Every one knows that! But how do you feel about the joke?

jrusso2
November 15th, 2009, 09:13 PM
People post this all the time thinking its serious.

XubuRoxMySox
November 15th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I love satire! And I think that's mostly what is found there. Satire is a lost art in these politically correct times, but it's nice to know it can still be found here and there - even if it's old.

-Robin

Linux_junkie
May 31st, 2010, 05:44 PM
Whilst searching for Linux distros I came across this distro, http://www.mslinux.org/ anyone tried it out?

Phrea
May 31st, 2010, 05:45 PM
Seems a bit old. ;)

Last updated:��Thursday, April 13, 2000

RiceMonster
May 31st, 2010, 05:47 PM
I use it as my main OS, though I often use Hannah Montannah Linux as well.

sydbat
May 31st, 2010, 05:47 PM
I bet it kicks Windows Me's a**...

howefield
May 31st, 2010, 05:48 PM
Whilst searching for Linux distros I came across this distro, http://www.mslinux.org/ anyone tried it out?

Has your sense of humour left you ? ;)

Kingsley
May 31st, 2010, 05:50 PM
It looks legit, guys...

http://imgur.com/vETdx.png

Linux_junkie
May 31st, 2010, 05:50 PM
Has your sense of humour left you ? ;)

What do you think? ;-)

howefield
May 31st, 2010, 05:53 PM
What do you think? ;-)

Not for a minute.

proggy
May 31st, 2010, 06:37 PM
What do you think? ;-)
Nope http://www.mslinux.org/support.html

Frogs Hair
May 31st, 2010, 06:50 PM
Only $249.99 plus renewal fees, but can be used for free .:P

prshah
May 31st, 2010, 06:58 PM
ms linux faces competition
microsoft has hired lawyers to attack it's own product line in an attempt to confuse the doj. This stunning new tactic shows great promise according to several harvard law professors, although many expressed confusion when questioned about the long term effects of this campaign.

lol!

Zerocool Djx
May 31st, 2010, 07:13 PM
F.. Bill Gates,...

Is he really thinking the Linux community is going to go for this??? It's just a lame attempt to control the market. Why the hell would we even want this with wine available?? Although ripping into the software to update wine could be nice, hehehe.. Even if wine isn't available,.. to be honest, programs, when programmed correctly for Linux, actually work better. I think the main problem is that people fear what they don't know and Linux, not being a new thing, is definitely a mystery to the majority of people. I am a Pro DJ, I just got my software running on Ubuntu, and I plan on using it for shows this summer. But, not only am I using it I am actually going to promote it for free and take a proactive approach showing people the power of it.

RiceMonster
May 31st, 2010, 07:16 PM
F.. Bill Gates,...

Is he really thinking the Linux community is going to go for this??? It's just a lame attempt to control the market. Why the hell would we even want this with wine available?? Although ripping into the software to update wine could be nice, hehehe.. Even if wine isn't available,.. to be honest, programs, when programmed correctly for Linux, actually work better. I think the main problem is that people fear what they don't know and Linux, not being a new thing, is definitely a mystery to the majority of people. I am a Pro DJ, I just got my software running on Ubuntu, and I plan on using it for shows this summer. But, not only am I using it I am actually going to promote it for free and take a proactive approach showing people the power of it.

You can do better. Try again.

Legendary_Bibo
May 31st, 2010, 07:38 PM
F.. Bill Gates,...

Um...please don't tell me you believed it. It's fake dude.

McRat
May 31st, 2010, 07:40 PM
Seriously, it's a great idea.

There is lots of other people's work to incorporate already, they don't have to wait for it.

But the pricing just is just plain WRONG.

Linux will support unlimited LAN size right out of the box, so they should price it at $1,895.

forrestcupp
May 31st, 2010, 08:17 PM
I love the Hot Topics section. "Microsoft Invades Cuba." "Microsoft Monkey Colony on Mars." :lol:

The "Gates Private License." :D

RiceMonster
May 31st, 2010, 08:19 PM
I love the Hot Topics section. "Microsoft Invades Cuba." "Microsoft Monkey Colony on Mars." :lol:

The "Gates Private License." :D

Yeah, I like those too, and this:
"Microsoft is working to incorporate the well known "Start" button from the Windows Platform into X Windows' Gnome interface. "We just can't figure out how the hell to get that darn foot out of there! The damn thing is like stuck." The team will have this feature ready by product launch."

Linux_junkie
June 1st, 2010, 09:47 AM
If Microsoft distributed Linux themselves would you use it? If not why not?

KiraLexi
June 1st, 2010, 09:49 AM
Why would they? They already have two mature developed operating systems with large installed bases (NT and CE.) They also have a UNIX subsystem, for customers that need POSIX compatibility.

julio_cortez
June 1st, 2010, 09:54 AM
If they released their own version of Linux, and it turned out to be better than the one I actually use, why shouldn't I use it?

bigsmitty64
June 1st, 2010, 10:00 AM
If they released their own version of Linux, and it turned out to be better than the one I actually use, why shouldn't I use it?

Thats right, after all, Its YOUR wallet. :) [ /sarcasm]

new_tolinux
June 1st, 2010, 10:06 AM
+1

However it does depend on what price they ask for it.

Edit:
I did not vote, because the poll doesn't have a "maybe" option in some form.

murderslastcrow
June 1st, 2010, 10:26 AM
It really depends. Is it open? Is it restrictive? How much does it cost? Does it have Win32/64 compatibility built-in?

The only thing Microsoft has to offer most consumers at the moment they can't get anywhere else is near-perfect Win32 compatibility. If they come up with something really cool, maybe. I mean, I still use Skype and a few programs in Wine out of convenience, so even someone who is fairly into open source might be willing to get it so long as it doesn't lock them in or prevent them from venturing out and finding alternatives later on.

julio_cortez
June 1st, 2010, 10:32 AM
Thats right, after all, Its YOUR wallet. :) [ /sarcasm]
Well, with "better" I meant that it had a better quality/price ratio, so be sure I wouldn't pay that much for it :P

The only thing Microsoft has to offer most consumers at the moment they can't get anywhere else is near-perfect Win32 compatibility.
+1, it would be another deciding factor to me ;)

viralmeme
June 1st, 2010, 10:37 AM
troll !!!

John Bean
June 1st, 2010, 10:41 AM
If Microsoft distributed Linux themselves would you use it? If not why not?

Firstly I think the question is a bit moot since it's very unlikely to happen. If it did happen, and was free (as if!), then I'd give it the same consideration as any other distribution; but if it cost money then I wouldn't even look at it unless it came ready installed on some hardware. Much like my attitude to Windows really.

Your poll is too simplistic, it needs more options.

new_tolinux
June 1st, 2010, 10:49 AM
Firstly I think the question is a bit moot since it's very unlikely to happen. If it did happen, and was free (as if!), then I'd give it the same consideration as any other distribution; but if it cost money then I wouldn't even look at it unless it came ready installed on some hardware. Much like my attitude to Windows really.

Your poll is too simplistic, it needs more options.
If any price is your problem, that would mean that certain RedHat/OpenSuse/etc. linux-distributions are also outside of your options.
Sure, that's a choice, but that does not say anything about it coming from Microsoft.

John Bean
June 1st, 2010, 11:01 AM
If any price is your problem, that would mean that certain RedHat/OpenSuse/etc. linux-distributions are also outside of your options.
Sure, that's a choice, but that does not say anything about it coming from Microsoft.

I answered the original question as best I could. It didn't ask what I thought of Microsoft, or whether I'd use any other paid-for Linux distribution. It just asked whether I'd use a Microsoft Linux distribution if it existed, and the answer is "it depends" - on whether it costs money and/or is any good in the first place.

Phrea
June 1st, 2010, 12:39 PM
"No"

standingwave
June 1st, 2010, 01:06 PM
I voted no but I wouldn't reject it out of hand. What brought me to Linux was not malware and viruses (I never really had a problem with those). It was just the general flakiness of the product (Win XP) and when a couple of routine updates crashed my system forcing complete reinstalls, I decided enough was enough. They will have to clean up their act if they want to win me back. Anything is possible I suppose.

RiceMonster
June 1st, 2010, 01:10 PM
I don't know. Depends on if it was good or not.

Shakz
June 1st, 2010, 01:12 PM
It really depends. Is it open? Is it restrictive? How much does it cost? Does it have Win32/64 compatibility built-in?

The only thing Microsoft has to offer most consumers at the moment they can't get anywhere else is near-perfect Win32 compatibility. If they come up with something really cool, maybe. I mean, I still use Skype and a few programs in Wine out of convenience, so even someone who is fairly into open source might be willing to get it so long as it doesn't lock them in or prevent them from venturing out and finding alternatives later on.

Skype is available native on linux. Dont need wine.

mickie.kext
June 1st, 2010, 01:31 PM
Hell no. I dumped SuSE in 2007, and I am not coming back.

murderslastcrow
June 1st, 2010, 01:32 PM
Ah, I failed to distinguish Skype from those Wine programs. I meant to say that Skype, which is not entirely open source, as well as a few other programs that are not open source which I use in Wine, are a few examples of my willingness to sacrifice a little freedom for a little usability. I use them out of convenience, and keep their alternatives on hand, just in case.

Just as many of my friends use Windows to varying degrees, but keep Linux for the sake of having a way out if something goes wrong. Certainly doesn't mean they aren't on their Linux partition most of the time, but familiarizing yourself with alternatives to closed-source programs, whether it's your primary program or just something you 'have to use sometimes', is always a good idea since closed-source code is like an endangered species.

One false move and it could be frozen forever, with only a carcass left behind to display in museums.

Open source code is the key to eternal life.

Dayofswords
June 1st, 2010, 01:37 PM
i want the "depends how good it is" option

and i'd be verrrrrrrrrryyyy weary of it....... >.>

Wobblybob
June 1st, 2010, 01:52 PM
why oh why oh why wolud I want to pay for something i can get free and configure myself. MS would just add their own buggy s/w to it and try and make us all MS clones.

papangul
June 1st, 2010, 01:55 PM
troll !!!
When microsoft felt threatened by JAVA, they released .NET, but it missed the key feature of JAVA - platform independence.

So I won't be surprised if, at some point in future, seeing linux grow to a level where they feel threatened, they release a linux product themselves, to steal the limelight away from linux! But it will definitely use a forked kernel with a proprietary GUI!:-&

mickie.kext
June 1st, 2010, 02:35 PM
^Don't forget that they first bundled Java with Windows, but modified it in a way that programs written for it work only on Windows. They called the modified language J++ or J#, I do not remember. Then Sun sued them for breach of contract because MS signed they would not do something like that before they got right to bundle Java with Windows. They practically hijacked Java and made it unportable. The court battle dragged out for years and postponed opensourcing of Java to 2006, which was way way later than Sun originally planed. So Microsoft made tremendous damage to Java. They have a tendency of destroying everything they touch. They would do same with Linux, either directly or by proxy. But they now prefer proxy, though.

betrunkenaffe
June 1st, 2010, 02:46 PM
Not unless I felt I could trust them. Currently, no.

Kai69
June 1st, 2010, 03:48 PM
Why not just ask microsoft to make one?
steveb@microsoft.com Steve Ballmer
billg@microsoft.com Bill Gates
:)

RiceMonster
June 1st, 2010, 03:50 PM
Why not just ask microsoft to make one?
steveb@microsoft.com Steve Ballmer
billg@microsoft.com Bill Gates
:)

I'd be impressed if you got a response from either of them.

Kai69
June 1st, 2010, 03:55 PM
If people got together and started emailing in droves I think they would have to take notice sometime and maybe then do something about it Linux is not going away its just getting bigger and micosoft knows this.

MrNatewood
June 1st, 2010, 03:55 PM
I wouldn't prejudge it because it's M$. If it would be better suited for me than ubuntu than I would switch to it, If not than not.

Linux_junkie
June 1st, 2010, 04:04 PM
Thank you all for your comments to my question and poll. The purpose of it was simply to find out if the majority of Linux users would simply dismiss a distribution of Linux from Microsoft simply because it was from Microsoft, regardless whether it was a good stable distribution.

Kai69
June 1st, 2010, 04:05 PM
Hi Ricemonster I will email both of them and see what comes back if this thread is still open I will post the email here.

Kai69
June 1st, 2010, 04:11 PM
Hi Linux-Junkie If microsoft were to make a distro the linux comunity would be wary of it but people who have used windows only would try it out.
I for one would proberbly try it just as I do with any distro.

xaegis
June 1st, 2010, 04:58 PM
troll !!!

+ 1

!= Feed

McRat
June 1st, 2010, 05:12 PM
Dunno. If I were running MS, I'd have a Linux version in development already.

Win for Devices has had very poor results, and embedded systems technology has already chosen Linux as #1.

MS has a number of experienced Unix and Linux people on staff. They used to run it on their own servers, and still run it in their labs.

sydbat
June 1st, 2010, 05:37 PM
Dunno. If I were running MS, I'd have a Linux version in development already.

Win for Devices has had very poor results, and embedded systems technology has already chosen Linux as #1.

MS has a number of experienced Unix and Linux people on staff. They used to run it on their own servers, and still run it in their labs.Wouldn't that be funny - "Windows is compiled on Linux".

Kai69
June 1st, 2010, 06:08 PM
My email to Steve Ballmer and Bill Gates (as sent)

Dear Sir
I'm just a normal computer user I started in 2000 with XP then Vista and now windows 7 since November 2009 I started to look at alternatives just for fun and found Linux but I am dismayed by the articles on websites from microsoft such as Linux is a cancer and microsoft patents against Linux or open source software.
As you are aware the world is rather large and a lot of third world markets are starting to open up and use computers but due to costs a Windows OS is not an option but Linux is, in the western markets people are switching to Linux because the cost of owning or upgrading a Windows OS is too great or has security issues or crashes.
What I would like to suggest is that Microsoft make a Linux OS whether free or for sale. Im sure the Linux community would help with testing and it would certainly help with the reputation Microsoft has with the Linux and open source software communities and also governments around the world that are starting to use more open source software.
As someone once said " Together we stand, divided we fall ". Microsoft is only a company, Linux is a world wide community and growing each day..

Yours

Kai Duncan

P.S
I am not in any way connected with any computer company or software company. I'm just an end user, my job - motor mechanic.

Kai69
June 1st, 2010, 06:21 PM
Steve Ballmer has just replied
Thanks for the feedback

RiceMonster
June 1st, 2010, 06:22 PM
Steve Ballmer has just replied
Thanks for the feedback

I wonder if he actually read it.

eakron
June 1st, 2010, 06:28 PM
http://xkcd.com/743/

Pretty much sums my opinion up.

Kai69
June 1st, 2010, 06:31 PM
I wonder if he actually read it.
Not sure bit of a quick reply proberbly shreaded it, but if more Linux users would email them I'm sure something would be done..

v1ad
June 1st, 2010, 06:44 PM
only if it was under the gnu license and was free.

Kai69
June 1st, 2010, 06:50 PM
only if it was under the gnu license and was free.
Not all linux distros are free Linpus Linux , Mandreva , Open Suse for the full versions anyway.

John Bean
June 1st, 2010, 07:07 PM
But it will definitely use a forked kernel with a proprietary GUI!:-&

Forked tongue definitely, forked Linux kernel very unlikely - the licence is unlikely to appeal to MS any more than it did to Apple when they were planning OSX. There may be a modern MS *nix some day but it won't be Linux. Some BSD-variant kernel with a very proprietary Microsoft GUI would be my guess if it ever happens.

aysiu
June 1st, 2010, 07:07 PM
Microsoft using Linux means very little in practical terms.

Just as Google uses Linux for Android and has the Android operating system so-called "open source" with all the main Google components still proprietary, Microsoft can easily use a Linux kernel and then build a graphical environment on top that is entirely proprietary and closed.

Mark Phelps
June 1st, 2010, 09:05 PM
Probably not ...

Why? Because, then it would just be another Distro -- and we already have plenty of those.

murderslastcrow
June 2nd, 2010, 03:26 AM
If they contributed to upstream projects and released it as open source, and the code was concise, lean, and fresh, I'd love to take advantage of their hospitality. But there's no saying you couldn't just get their features in Ubuntu rather than switch your distribution.

And, if Microsoft ever does do this, people will be a lot more interested in Linux, and ask themselves why Microsoft would switch to using a Linux kernel in the first place.

I think it'd be interesting if they built a new, concise Aero that could compete with the memory use/processing needs of Compiz, with a toolbar included.

That would be something interesting, and makes sense, since OS X did pretty much the same thing. If they ruined the permissions and made it like Windows' current security model, I'd probably burn them alive for mocking it.

Seriously, I hope this never happens. They can prove their merits as a software company with their own crappy MinWin platform. It will be difficult to find a way around the mess they got into, but if they don't, they're just hurting their customers again and again. Exploit your customers, that's fine, just make it easier on them to be exploited.

Khakilang
June 2nd, 2010, 10:22 AM
No. Because of Microsoft EULA license agreement. Secondly they will make it propreitery and lastly nothing is free in Microsoft.

Nick_Jinn
June 2nd, 2010, 11:23 AM
Not unless I felt I could trust them. Currently, no.

I feel the same way.

There is a very good reason for Microshit to release their own version of Linux.....Many people dont realize this, but Windows is feeling very threatened by google and the rise of cloud based computing. The reasons for this are complex, but they have good reason to be worried. A lot of their key advantages may be lost. They will not be able to corner the market in the same ways that they used to be able to.

I dont trust microsoft. I dont like how they designed their media player to turn people in for playing downloaded music....they are siding with corporations and governments against the people, and have used spyware to data mine. I dont like what they stand for.

Windows would have a lot to gain by making their own distro of linux though....They would still be able to market their software but they woudl be able to expand their market and get involved in the cutting edge of technology that is going to be based on linux thanks to google and other innovators like Ubuntu. Smartphones and Cloud technology, and now netbooks is where this techology is really going to make an entry. The best features that everyone cannot live without may no longer be microsoft (or Mac) exclusives. Pretty soon with these cloud based networks, people may actually start to prefer Android and Linux over Windows for its functionality and compatibility....I already do, but I dont think that is mainstream opinion quite yet.

Microsoft might have a whole lot to gain by making their own version of Linux as a parallel system.....it could be proprietary enough so that they could still sell their software in markets where they are not selling their OS anyway.....and it might actually be good for us if this means better hardware and software support for linux....people could still pay money for Photoshop and Paint if they dont like the open source alternatives.....or if they found a way to charge for their OS, they already have the name recognition to sell it, but could take advantage of all the free software that the linux community makes (fooling consumers into thinking they are responsible for its existence) and make money off selling an OS that bridges the compatibility gap......It might actually be a HUGE hit for them if they could do linux in a way that bridges the hardware support gaps and also allows windows ports for all of their proprietary software that they could sell people, while still offering them all the free software that we write in this community.

I think that if Microsoft made a version of linux that they could sell, one that could run all of Microsofts Windows software while also giving access to all of Linux's software....I bet they would sell a million copies the first month or the first few months. It would be the first real alternative they put out.

They might have to do something bold like that to stay relevant if Google pulls the rug out from under them.

Also, Ubuntu and Mint are growing significantly. The biggest problem with these markets is that unless you are buying bare bones or Ubuntu/Mint preinstalled, that isnt really slowing down windows.....You are still supporting windows even if you "make the switch" and dont use it. You still bought it. The software and hardware developers still consider that a microsoft sale and not an Ubuntu sale. It doesnt really count unless you buy Ubuntu out of the box without windows included at all (support system 76).

Anyway, Ubuntu and Mint have small but now significant portion of the market, and a very rapidly growing market outside the US....as windows gerts harder to pirate, Ubuntu based distros are getting more popular.

On one hand Microsft would be helping their competition, but on the other hand they would be creating a new product with gigantic amounts of buzz.....People would buy this as an additional product, even after they paid for Windows 7 or Vista on their computers. Even a free version would allow them to sell their software or make money by marketing other peoples software.

It could be an interesting move and wouldnt necessarily be unprofitable for them.

Kai69
June 2nd, 2010, 01:29 PM
I think it would be good for microsoft to go down the Linux road the main gripes about Linux are games not working in Linux well microsoft wrote a lot of the code to get games running in windows and they proberbly have the code written to port it to Linux already.
I think it just needs 1 person in Microsoft to say why dont we try to make a Linux version they know they are loseing out on a huge market share Linux is gaining more ground every day.
All Microsoft is doing at the moment is hurting their own reputation this is why governments are going over to open source software and Linux and if the government do the people usually follow.
As I said in the email Microsoft is a company, Linux is a world wide community.

dragos240
June 2nd, 2010, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't use it. But if they did, more linux applications would be made. Even if it's a proprietary format, we could convert the binaries.

But of course, it couldn't be proprietary. The kernel is under the GPL v3v2. Meaning it can't have any closed source software on it.

RiceMonster
June 2nd, 2010, 01:33 PM
The kernel is under the GPL v3

It's under v2.

dragos240
June 2nd, 2010, 01:35 PM
It's under v2.

It is? Last time I checked it was under v3.

dragos240
June 2nd, 2010, 01:39 PM
Ah nevermind.

moody_mark
June 2nd, 2010, 02:38 PM
No. Because it would be like McDonalds making Pizza, it would look like pizza, smell like pizza but it just wouldnt taste right, and probably have a brand logo embossed on the crust somewhere.

sydbat
June 2nd, 2010, 02:46 PM
No. Because it would be like McDonalds making Pizza, it would look like pizza, smell like pizza but it just wouldnt taste right, and probably have a brand logo embossed on the crust somewhere.I miss McDonald's pizza...mmmmmm...salty...=P~

Groucho Marxist
June 2nd, 2010, 04:01 PM
Purchasing a Microsoft Linux distribution would be like purchasing fat-free lard; it should not exist, and if it did, it would leave the end user more confused than before they made the purchase.

Shining Arcanine
June 2nd, 2010, 05:40 PM
There is nothing Microsoft could bring to Linux that would make me use "Windows Linux" over Gentoo Linux.

damdim
June 2nd, 2010, 06:16 PM
It exists since 2003

http://www.mslinux.org/ :p

Simian Man
June 2nd, 2010, 06:20 PM
No. Because it would be like McDonalds making Pizza, it would look like pizza, smell like pizza but it just wouldnt taste right, and probably have a brand logo embossed on the crust somewhere.

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/mortgagemescott/mcpizza.jpg

Nick_Jinn
June 2nd, 2010, 06:23 PM
It exists since 2003

http://www.mslinux.org/ :p

They sure didnt advertise it very well. :/

I would like to try it, assuming I didnt have to pay for it. I dont suppose there are any torrents up and running....I dont plan on actually using it, I just want to try it to have an opinion about what they did wrong.

RiceMonster
June 2nd, 2010, 06:29 PM
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/mortgagemescott/mcpizza.jpg

I can feel my arteries clogging just looking at that picture.

Kai69
June 2nd, 2010, 08:09 PM
Hi Ricemonster just had a reply from Bill Gates

Hello Kai,

I was asked by Bill's team to reply to your proposal. Bill stepped down from his day-to-day duties at Microsoft in 2008 to focus on philanthropy (http://www.gatesfoundation.org/). Thank you for your interest in Microsoft.

I am a Business Development Manager with Microsoft’s Opportunity Management Center (OMC), which reviews unsolicited proposals and recommends specific resources and programs that may help you meet your business objectives.
:P

Kai69
June 2nd, 2010, 08:14 PM
http://www.bbspot.com/News/2001/06/gates.html See Bill Gates uses it so maybe he has thought about making his own distro LOL

maybeway36
June 2nd, 2010, 08:31 PM
If was from Microsoft, it would probably 1. run Windows applications and 2. cost money. But I use Linux Mint for things that don't need Windows, and Windows + Cygwin works great for things that do.

moody_mark
June 3rd, 2010, 07:50 AM
Purchasing a Microsoft Linux distribution would be like purchasing fat-free lard; it should not exist, and if it did, it would leave the end user more confused than before they made the purchase.

:lolflag:

armageddon08
September 27th, 2010, 04:53 AM
http://www.mslinux.org/ :popcorn:

Legendary_Bibo
September 27th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Old, but still somewhat funny I suppose.

ubunterooster
September 27th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Sure I would try it! Of course only if it was free of cost