PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Turning off ACPI in 9.10

itsmoonsoo
November 15th, 2009, 07:52 PM
How do I edit the new Grub2 kernel to turn ACPI off. I know how to do it with the old grub by editing menu.lst, but with the new install of koala, menu.lst no longer exists. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!

ajgreeny
November 15th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I'm sure there must be a way to do it with the new and various configuration files in /etc/grub.d. In fact looking at the files and reading the wiki and other forum threads about grub2, I think you need to edit the file 40_custom and add an entry to it in this form with whatever you added to the kernel line put there. I have shown acpi=off as an example. Don't just copy the entry I show as that relates to my system and UUIDs etc will all be for my system only.

menuentry "Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-15-generic"{
set root=(hd0,2)
linux/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-15-generic root=UUID=10ec6342-7b3f-425c-8655-c637bb65ae72 ro quiet splash acpi=off
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-15-generic
}and then rename the file with another number (06_custom, I think) and make it executable. Now it will run after the 05_debian_theme file and put the first entry at the top of the menu displayed. Other linux OS entries can be added to the file as well, I believe, as long as you keep the format of each OS entry the same as that shown.