PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Keyboard Shortcut To Empty Trash

Cygnia
November 15th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Greetings, I'm trying to create a keyboard shortcut to empty the trash in Gnome on Karmic. I know that I can use the terminal to execute the following command successfully:

rm -rf /home/username/.local/share/Trash/*

Oddly though, the same command will not work when entered into the Keyboard Shortcuts preference pane. As part of my troubleshooting I tried to enter the above command into the Alt-F2 command dialogue, but it won't work there either. Is this a bug in Gnome? I know it's kind of a silly niggle for a Sunday, but I'm just curious why it won't work. Thanks for reading.

aysiu
November 16th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Not sure why that's not working.

Do you get the same result if you run it as a bash script?

Step 1
Open a new text file for the script by pasting this command in the terminal:
gksudo gedit /usr/local/bin/emptytrash

Step 2
In the new text editor window, paste in
#!/bin/bash
rm -rf /home/username/.local/share/Trash/* then save and exit

Step 3
Make the script executable by pasting this command in the terminal
sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/emptytrash

Step 4
Try running the command
emptytrash to see if it works.

Step 5
Try using the command
emptytrash as a keyboard shortcut.

cipricus
March 17th, 2012, 10:36 AM
maybe when that not working is because the path to folder to be emptied is different - see here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=812712)

WonderWoofy
April 14th, 2012, 11:27 PM
I know this post is a bit old, but the information contained is still valid. So, just a thought, but would it not be better to use this command:

rm -rf /home/$USER/.local/share/Trash/*

That way the script can then be used to create a script for an logged on user, yeah?

markbl
April 14th, 2012, 11:47 PM
I know this post is a bit old, but the information contained is still valid. So, just a thought, but would it not be better to use this command:

rm -rf /home/$USER/.local/share/Trash/*

That way the script can then be used to create a script for an logged on user, yeah?
Yes. rm -rf $HOME/.local/share/Trash/* is better still. But these commands so far don't delete dotfiles in Trash (files or dirs starting with a dot). So the following command is better:

find $HOME/.local/share/Trash -mindepth 1 -delete