PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] No root file system....Yikes

robertcoulson
November 15th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Hello...
I tried to install Ubuntu 9.10 on my 80gig hard drive (XP on "C" drive 40gig and "D" drive is blank)....Got to partitioning and a error ""No root file system"" came up...I am really lost now...Want to keep XP for my son and install Ubuntu on the partition...HELP
Bob

robertcoulson
November 15th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Just thinking..if I make my XP take up the whole 80gigs and then let Ubuntu make it's own partition, then maybe that would work...???
Did not see the words "install next to XP" anywhere in the installation process.
Bob

phillw
November 15th, 2009, 07:00 PM
These folks have put together a good set of instructions, with screen-shots. Should get you up & running

http://apcmag.com/the_definitive_dualbooting_guide_linux_vista_and_x p_stepbystep.htm

Regards,

Phill.

howefield
November 15th, 2009, 07:04 PM
There is also a 10 minute video at screencasts.ubuntu.com on "Ubuntu Dual Boot Install"

About the 5th video down the page.

robertcoulson
November 15th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks very, very much for the information guys...will take a look at it.
Thanks again...Bob

robertcoulson
November 16th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Well gentlemen...I looked at both web sites and watched the videos, and did not come out any further ahead...Still get ""No root file system"" every time....Guess I am stuck with XP, like a million other people..
Thanks for your help guys, it was worth a try......Bob

phillw
November 16th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Well gentlemen...I looked at both web sites and watched the videos, and did not come out any further ahead...Still get ""No root file system"" every time....Guess I am stuck with XP, like a million other people..
Thanks for your help guys, it was worth a try......Bob

I'm curious to know at what point the apc instructions failed. Do you still have a 100% installed XP System, or had you tried previously to re-slice your hard-drive ?

If you let us know what you have done so far, it'd sure make life a bit easier for us to help you !!

Ubuntu DOES sit happily with XP / Vista / Win7 / Other flavours of Linux, etc. As many thousands of people have found.

Regards,

Phill.

robertcoulson
November 16th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Hi Phill
Ran Ubuntu 9.10 live CD and looked into my already partitioned "D" drive and saw some files in there that I could not see in windows....Ubuntu deleted them...Ran install and got to the point where it says "install side by side with XP"..Got excited and allocated 33.3 gig for Ubuntu...Half way trough the install it said I had a CD error...???.....Would not go any further....I give up.

Thanks for everyone trying to help me...Can't get Ubuntu to work, so I won't waste anyone's time any longer posting....Really wish I could have got Ubuntu to work...Guess I will just be happy to use the Live CD once in a while
Thanks again Bob