PDA

View Full Version : Text editor with FTP built in.

tosbourn
November 15th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Hey there,

I have browsed these forums and figure this is the best place for this question...

I have recently moved from Windows to Ubuntu (as in about 5 hours ago!) and am trying to set up a good streamlined development environment. So far I have found a couple of excellent looking text editors and grabbed Filezilla as an FTP client. This is pretty much the setup I had under windows and am happy to use this, however recently in work I have been using a Mac for the most of my development which has a wonderful text editor called Coda, this has a great build in FTP client and a tonne of other nice features that just make the whole web development process a bit quicker.

Could anyone recommend me a similar tool that will run under Ubuntu, sort of a one stop shop for downloading/updating files?

Cheers in advance for any help.

spupy
November 15th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Welcome to Linux!

Last time I used Nautilus - Ubuntu's file manager, it had the ability to mount ftp sites as normal folders. Then you can edit the files on the ftp server with any editor you desire.
Unfortunately, I don't use Nautilus (or Gnome for that matter), so I can't tell you where exactly you can find this feature. But I'm sure some of the other helpful forum users with explain it in detail.