PDA

View Full Version : What does "bump" mean?

arnab_das
November 15th, 2009, 02:20 PM
sorry if i'm embarrassing myself with this question, but i find many users using "bump" in a thread. what does it mean?

pwnst*r
November 15th, 2009, 02:21 PM
posting something to a thread to bring it back to the first page in the forum to keep visibility on it.

also, the mods look down on that, fyi.

Ms_Angel_D
November 15th, 2009, 02:23 PM
posting something to a thread to bring it back to the first page in the forum to keep visibility on it.

also, the mods look down on that, fyi.

I believe bumping is considered ok if you wait say a day or so before doing so.

sisco311
November 15th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I believe bumping is considered ok if you wait say a day or so before doing so.

yep, the recommended time between "bumps" is 24-48 hours. unless of course you're talking about the bump thread...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_(Internet) (See external links ;))

pwnst*r
November 15th, 2009, 02:39 PM
that may be "recommended" by wikipedia, but unless you're looking for support, bumping is not necessary. if the topic is in this subforum and you bump it, well, it's probably not that interesting to begin with.

sisco311
November 15th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Indeed, 24-48 hours is the "tolerated" minimum time between two bumps.

There is an Unanswered Post Team, they are looking for, uh...well... unanswered post. If you bump your thread they will not find it.

ceramicm
November 15th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I have found that adding more detailed information about your problem (eg. possible reasons for the bug, what you have tried to fix it) is a better way to bump a support thread than simply typing "bump."

coldReactive
November 15th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I have found that adding more detailed information about your problem (eg. possible reasons for the bug, what you have tried to fix it) is a better way to bump a support thread than simply typing "bump."

And if you can't possibly give more information, and your thread has died for a few weeks even though you bumped it each day after you gave more info?

dragos240
November 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Yeah. Bumping is fine. It's just not to be done more than twice a day in a single thread. And bumping a topic that's more than a year old is called necromancy.

coldReactive
November 15th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Yeah. Bumping is fine. It's just not to be done more than twice a day in a single thread. And bumping a topic that's more than a year old is called necromancy.

Even if it's your own support thread that hasn't been solved?

dragos240
November 15th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Even if it's your own support thread that hasn't been solved?

I'm not entirely sure. Usually it's called necromancy for community forum topics. I'm not sure if it's the same with support topics. However. If I had a question that wasn't answered, I wouldn't leave it be for a year.

wulfgang
November 15th, 2009, 09:08 PM
The only time I "bump" my thread is when it is an emergency problem in ubuntu. But even then, it is at most an hour or so before I do it.

Tipped OuT
November 15th, 2009, 09:11 PM
lol I don't know how one simple question can stir up so many posts. There's just one answer. No debate.

Only on the Ubuntu Forums.

wulfgang
November 15th, 2009, 09:16 PM
lol I don't know how one simple question can stir up so many posts. There's just one answer. No debate.
Only on the Ubuntu Forums.
That is what is great about these forums. :)

RiceMonster
November 15th, 2009, 09:17 PM
That is what is great about these forums. :)

Really?

CRUDE
November 15th, 2009, 10:04 PM
A bump is a small amount of cocaine, typically the size of a pencil cap.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocaine#Insufflation

coldReactive
November 15th, 2009, 10:31 PM
A bump is a small amount of cocaine, typically the size of a pencil cap.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocaine#Insufflation

Party Pooper.

Erik Trybom
November 15th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Just be sure to check the forum rules first. I frequent forums where bumps are strictly forbidden, for any reason.