PDA

View Full Version : The inspirational Quote and Thoughts Thread

Ms_Angel_D
November 15th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Share some of your favorite inspirational quotes or thoughts.

Releasing stress is good, it's how you do it that can sometimes be the problem.....

compromising who your are just for sake of someone else's happiness, will normally not make you a happy person.

it's ok to aggree to disagree, variety is after all the spice of life.....

If we had all the answers then what would we learn?

nmccrina
November 15th, 2009, 02:56 PM
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx219/nmccrina/motivational-poster03.jpg

sisco311
November 15th, 2009, 03:05 PM
The last line in my signature.

jomiolto
November 15th, 2009, 03:59 PM
"Emotions determine all that is lost and won here"

One of my recent favourites :)

coldReactive
November 15th, 2009, 04:02 PM
From various linux commercials by IBM:

"A player that makes a team great, is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group; now that's teamwork."

And

"We've always watched the stars; if you'd look up at the sky, you could see the beginning of time."

And

"Shake things up, shake up the world."

jomiolto
November 15th, 2009, 04:15 PM
"We've always watched the stars; if you'd look up at the sky, you could see the beginning of time."

Is that from Carl Sagan? Sounds like him.

This one's from him: "The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."

NoaHall
November 15th, 2009, 04:16 PM
It's not what you do, it's who you do it with.

The lottery is a tax on idiots who can't do math.

Zoot7
November 15th, 2009, 04:21 PM
One of my favourites:

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.

Ruiizu1990
November 15th, 2009, 04:27 PM
You don't have to be great to try, but you do have to try to be great
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime
No-one can do everything, but everyone can do somethingAn old classic...
If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again
If it wasn't for the bad times, there wouldn't be good times
A mistake is only mistake if you don't learn from itAnd my favourite...

Those who do not learn the mistakes of the past shall be doomed to repeat them
Beauty fades...stupidity lasts forever not really inspiration, but kinda funny...

coldReactive
November 15th, 2009, 04:29 PM
"I wish I had done that."

-- taco-Man from Newgrounds : You have to watch this to understand why...

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/510863

And understand me as a flash artist (not a very good one actually.)

mehaga
November 15th, 2009, 04:30 PM
The true voyage of discovery consists not of seeking new landscapes, but having new eyes

Zoot7
November 15th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Another one of my favourites:

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

~Jimi Hendrix

Greg
November 15th, 2009, 04:51 PM
'Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.'

-Douglas Adams

'Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad.'

-Thomas Paine

coldReactive
November 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM
My own,

"Losing yourself in a story for the fun, is a good way to read. But, losing yourself in the sheer momentum and volume of ideas for your own story that you, yourself can make for others to enjoy, now that is something special."

On my thinking of story ideas. I have a real hard time thinking of straight plots, because I have so many freakin' ideas!

Sealbhach
November 15th, 2009, 05:15 PM
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." - Abraham Lincoln.

Firestem4
November 15th, 2009, 05:21 PM
This is my favorite quote, I even used it as my Senior quote for High School.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Ghandi

I always think of this quote when I aspire to accomplish greater things, or even ring up my local congressman to tell him what I think about his most recent bill.

Sealbhach
November 15th, 2009, 05:31 PM
This is my favorite quote, I even used it as my Senior quote for High School.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Ghandi

I always think of this quote when I aspire to accomplish greater things, or even ring up my local congressman to tell him what I think about his most recent bill.

That one is good. If you want to change the world, it has to start with you. I think another angle on that is: "the things we hate in other people are the same things we hate in ourselves".

cmay
November 15th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I like movie quotes, as example "you cant handle the truth " or my favorite. " I hate ,I hate ,I hate peter pan"
from which movie they come from is a exercise left for the readers :)

kholdstare
November 15th, 2009, 05:44 PM
"water is so lucky, it has two hydrogens for every oxygen"brak

kholdstare
November 15th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Another one of my favourites:

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

~Jimi Hendrix
i used that in a peace paper.

papangul
November 15th, 2009, 05:53 PM
"Ecstasy is our very nature; not to be ecstatic is simply unnecessary. To be ecstatic is natural, spontaneous. It needs no effort to be ecstatic, it needs great effort to be miserable. That's why you look too tired, because misery is really hard work; to maintain it is really difficult, because you are doing something against nature."

~OSHO

mobilediesel
November 15th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Here's a few good ones.

Enthusiasm is contagious. You can start an epidemic.

The future is completely open, and we are writing it moment to moment.

In separateness lies the world’s great misery, in compassion lies the world’s true strength.

Because of your smile, you make life more beautiful.

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love.

and, of course, the one in my sig.

Mancman
November 15th, 2009, 06:04 PM
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool..... than to open it and remove all doubt.

-Mark Twain.

Naiki Muliaina
November 15th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Dont worry about what people think, they dont do it often

Source - Clairede Dirval - The best live singer in Second Life!

Lightmaster
November 15th, 2009, 06:37 PM
The thing about trains... it doesn't matter where they're going. What matters is deciding to get

Polar Express movie.

Zoot7
November 15th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Me -

Everything we know and believe as a race is a creation of ourselves.

It's one of the many points that I use to argue when it comes to philosophical debates.

Ms_Angel_D
November 15th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Great Stuff Guys....

If you insist on carrying your past with you, don't get upset when the weight gets you stuck in the mud

I would rather be hated for being who I am, then loved for being what others want me to be.

JillSwift
November 15th, 2009, 07:19 PM
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." --Carl Sagan

mobilediesel
November 15th, 2009, 07:20 PM
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." --Carl Sagan

I think that's my favorite one so far!

Zoot7
November 15th, 2009, 07:29 PM
“Man is the only animal for whom his own existence is a problem which he has to solve”

Man's biological weakness is the condition of human culture.

There is no meaning to life except the meaning man gives his life by the unfolding of his powers.

I could list quotes I like all day. :)
And one I really like:

Why should society feel responsible only for the education of children, and not for the education of all adults of every age?

Tipped OuT
November 15th, 2009, 07:53 PM
"If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all!"

KiwiNZ
November 15th, 2009, 08:11 PM
My signature

KiwiNZ
November 15th, 2009, 08:21 PM
My strongest inspiration is my wheelchair that I will one day leave behind.

NoaHall
November 15th, 2009, 08:46 PM

Good for you.

Tipped OuT
November 15th, 2009, 08:51 PM

I'm happy I do not need a wheel chair and I can walk. We should all be happy for something. Even KiwiNZ.

lisati
November 15th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I'm happy I do not need a wheel chair and I can walk. We should all be happy for something. Even KiwiNZ.

Sometimes even being able to get out and about enjoying life, wheelchair or not, is something to be thankful for.

"Nothing changes if nothing changes"
Sir Howard Morrison

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again, in the vain expectation of different results.

Tipped OuT
November 15th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Sometimes even being able to get out and about enjoying life, wheelchair or not, is something to be thankful for.

My point exactly. :)

Irihapeti
November 15th, 2009, 09:48 PM
When you've faced the possibility of two years to live, and much of that painful, you realise what really matters in life and how much of what we worry about is unimportant.

Let us be grateful for what we have that's worth having, while we have it.

sisco311
November 16th, 2009, 03:03 AM
A man that when alone, finds himself in good company; it's because he so is. - Pumalite (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=263028)

jrothwell97
November 16th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Is that from Carl Sagan? Sounds like him.

This one's from him: "The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."

"A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy-rise: a morning filled with four hundred billion suns; the rising of the Milky Way."

I'm pretty certain this must have been posted before, but it's obligatory given the context. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc&feature=player_embedded#t=65)

Ms_Angel_D
November 16th, 2009, 07:30 AM
I like these..

It requires less character to discover the faults of others than is does to tolerate them.

With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts

Each Day is like a fresh piece of paper, with no mistakes in it yet.

steveneddy
November 16th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Live like no one else today, so later you can live like no one else.

-Dave Ramsey (http://www.daveramsey.com/)

hobo14
November 16th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Ask for strength, and you will be sent difficulties to make you stronger.

John Redcorn

chucky chuckaluck
November 16th, 2009, 03:01 PM
"live everyday as if it were your last for, one day, you're sure to be right."

hobo14
November 16th, 2009, 03:03 PM
'Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad.'

-Thomas Paine
I like!

Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
-Buddha

JillSwift
November 16th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Permanence is an illusion. Everything passes, eventually. You shall lose every possession, every loved one, every pet, every friend, and in the end you too shall be no more. Because of this truth, the surest way to be miserable is to grasp the ephemeral as if it were eternal. Spend more time appreciating what you do have than is spent in keeping it. Spend more time enjoying the moment than in looking to the future. Spend more time making other's lives better than you do causing displeasure. Mark the passing of the good as reason to celebrate its ever having existed.

--Yueh Daoren

wojox
November 16th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

~ George Carlin

Kingsley
November 16th, 2009, 03:37 PM
All I want out of life is to be a monkey of moderate intelligence who wears a suit. That's why I've decided to transfer to business school!
- Gunther, Futurama

My theory is that if you look confident you can pull off anything - even if you have no clue what you're doing.
- Jessica Alba

praveesh
November 16th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Nothing is impossible for a willing mind.

stuart.reinke
November 16th, 2009, 06:04 PM
We plan ahead, that way we don't have to do anything right now. -- the movie Tremors

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -- E. Roosevelt

cmay
November 16th, 2009, 06:25 PM
did you all see the size of that chicken ???
from young guns .

satan gave me a taco and it made me really sick. the chicken was all raw and the grease was mighty thick.
a song by beck.

urgghh arrghh
heard in most action or horror movies. I always wondered what it means............

Ruiizu1990
November 19th, 2009, 04:09 PM
With Windows, failure isn't an option- it comes bundled with the software

Hahaha, but seriously, I don't really hate Windows. Just the greedy developers....

ExSuSEusr
November 19th, 2009, 04:12 PM
"All your redheads are belong to me."

Don't know who said it, but pure genius.

fatcrab
November 19th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Cheat me onice shame on you,Cheat me twice shame on me

Irihapeti
November 19th, 2009, 10:18 PM
It takes only a second of my time to say "thank you". That second may make the day for someone else.

plamen_todoroff
November 20th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I spent my money on whiskey and women, and the rest of my money I wasted.

Said by a captain of some crab-fishing ship in "Deadliest Catch" on Discovery Channel :)

emigrant
November 20th, 2009, 04:12 PM
It takes only a second of my time to say "thank you". That second may make the day for someone else.

Thank you for this. Very impressive.

openuniverse
November 20th, 2009, 04:44 PM

Bezmotivnik
November 21st, 2009, 01:57 AM
"We shall do best to think of life as a desengaño, as a process of disillusionment: Since this is, clearly enough, what everything that happens to us is calculated to produce."

-- Schopenhauer

madhi19
November 21st, 2009, 05:21 AM
If somebody tell you you spend too much time in your basement working on your "command center" tell them this.
"Social interaction is overrated after all you can't catch H1N1 if you never get out of the house!" ;) lollll

Ms_Angel_D
November 21st, 2009, 01:11 PM
and another one...

If you try to change the people that you say you love, then maybe you should ask yourself why you say you love them

Ms_Angel_D
December 21st, 2009, 01:55 AM
I like this one..

It is better to remain quiet and be thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt

JDShu
December 21st, 2009, 02:16 AM
One from the elusive Anon:

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. But Today is a gift. That is why they called it the Present"

alakazam
December 21st, 2009, 03:31 AM
I'll be back :cool:

alexfish
December 21st, 2009, 03:36 AM
i like this one..

" ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????"

"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Zacinfinite
August 23rd, 2010, 06:50 AM
"better listen to ur own heart than to endup dying an old man working 'only' for money."

"Dont follow gratification and wealth, 'Do what you like', let wealth and gratification follow you"

“Heroes are only general people with nongeneral mindset. Others 'talk', they 'DO'”

“I had one life,
Now Im dead,
I was strong,
with all in my hands.

I chose to go,
but only with the Flow,
was happy to be
the servant of the show.

Later I saw,
the world is changed,
but my life never had
a part in this game.

All this happened
by a bunch of amature kids
who refused to givein.
Who are called “THE LINUX FREAKS!”

kevin11951
August 23rd, 2010, 08:07 AM
I may be going to far, but this is definitely my favorite quote in the world. In fact I had it printed as a poster for my wall (background is some galaxy).

I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking.

~ Carl Sagan

julio_cortez
August 23rd, 2010, 09:23 AM
One of my favourites, that I found is also true:

"The greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure"

S.G. Eriksson

beercz
August 24th, 2010, 12:02 AM
There are quite a few here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=132952).

XubuRoxMySox
August 24th, 2010, 02:12 AM
"Y'know a bulldog can whip a skunk, son. But.... it ain't worth it." --my daddy

"We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do." --Daddy again

"You're never too old for cosplay!" --my mom, wishing she could go as Catwoman when my friend and I went to a comic cosplay thing (I was the boy wonder - got a pic of it in an album on my profile page!)

"Dance is friendship set to music!" -- a dance teacher at my school

-Robin
(the boy wonder!)

Artemis Fowl
August 24th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Not technically a quote sense it popped into my head and I made it up, but:

"If knowledge is power, and power leads to corruption, is knowledge ultimately corruption?"

kevin11951
August 24th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Not technically a quote sense it popped into my head and I made it up, but:

"If knowledge is power, and power leads to corruption, is knowledge ultimately corruption?"

Well, if ignorance is bliss, then that would make the opposite of bliss, corruption?

Austin25
August 24th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Maybe Andrew Jackson was right: How can we banks with bailouts if they can't trust us with pens?

Zacinfinite
August 31st, 2010, 11:58 AM
Anything that can have a certain impact on the world is nothing other than present. something that might have a probabilistic impact on world is Future. Reactions is human mind is designed to be determined by what is happening and not by what will happen. Yet we in the modern world are taught to die in stress by what might happen in the future till the future approaches and we see that nothing much happens! HA HA HA HA
:popcorn:

Zacinfinite
August 31st, 2010, 12:03 PM
Collaboration is the aim of the game of Life. Play it with pleasure. But please Dont cheat by envy, competition and superiority or you will be kicked out of the game to be alone.

isoscelesrectangle
August 31st, 2010, 03:03 PM
Look at my location and you'll see where I got this one from... ;)

"Through tears, you will buy the sympathy of others, but through your own sweat and toil, you will bring success."

pricetech
August 31st, 2010, 04:49 PM
lyf sux.

drawkcab
September 1st, 2010, 01:06 AM
There is something that all your failed relationships have in common.

You.

Austin25
September 1st, 2010, 01:47 AM
Look at my location and you'll see where I got this one from... ;)

"Through tears, you will buy the sympathy of others, but through your own sweat and toil, you will bring success."
Ouch.

SoFl W
September 1st, 2010, 01:49 AM
Failure to plan on YOUR part does not constitute and emergency on MY part.
-From a user on here, wish I wrote the person's username now

If you don't read a newspaper you are uninformed.
If you do read a newspaper you are misinformed.
-attributed to Mark Twain.

KiwiNZ
September 1st, 2010, 02:06 AM
Love life and it will love you back

KiwiNZ October 2004

Rasa1111
September 1st, 2010, 02:18 AM

"Kindness*fosters kindness.Cruelty begets cruelty.One must be*able and willing to use force, tempered with intelligence, to prevent harm to the innocent. However,extraordinary understanding, self-discipline and courage are required to effectively prevent brutality, without being overwhelmed by the malice that motivated the brutality." ~ Airl

shmsndr8
March 11th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Here are some good motivational quotes I know of

The longer we dwell on our misfortunes, the greater is their power to harm us.
~ Voltaire.

You have to have a darkness...for the dawn to come.
~ Harrison Ford.

Got these inspiring quotes at http://allfamousquotes.weebly.com/inspirational-twitter-quotes.html...All u guys can get short inspirational twitter quotes there.