PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Please help me

Jeyaganeshdj
November 15th, 2009, 10:29 AM
hi,

I have installed 9.10. The problem is most of the application is not opening. Movie Player, Rhythmbox music player and Ubuntu software center. I have already posted threads for this probs but not received any response. Please help me

rukiaEnix
November 15th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Can you see the menus at the menus bar?

lisati
November 15th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Please be patient: people have seen your other questions. Having more than one discussion active on the same problem can get confusing.

Jeyaganeshdj
November 15th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I can see all the menu. Openoffice firefox are working when i click the apps from the menu

neonexus
November 15th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I have the exact same problem with Ubuntu software center. I upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10, and now I have to use Synaptic to install/remove/upgrade software. I can't use the normal "Add / Remove" software option....

Every time I try to open the Ubuntu software center, it gives me the usual button on the 'task bar' that it's starting, but nothing ever loads. The button disappears after about 2 minutes, and I'm left being confused.

I've ripped the internet apart looking for the answer to fix this problem. However, after everything I've tried reinstalling 'python', fully removing the 'software-center' and reinstalling... Everything... I'm going crazy here, someone please help me... Why is it that a new piece of software won't work for me? What do you need to figure this out?!

sandy8925
November 15th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Did you check if the CD had any errors before instaling ? Also, when you try to launch something does the hard disk light shine ?

Jeyaganeshdj
November 15th, 2009, 11:10 AM
yeah i had checked the cd before installation and it was fine... the hard disk light glow when it was trying to start software center.

Jeyaganeshdj
November 15th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Hi,

Is there no solution to my problem.. should i revert back to windows for accessing this application???

phillw
November 15th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Hi,

Is there no solution to my problem.. should i revert back to windows for accessing this application???

Try booting from the LiveCD, as LiveCD mode - it'll run slowly, but, what I want to see is if you can launch those applications from the CD

Phill.

phillw
November 15th, 2009, 06:26 PM
You need to confirm the following ...

1) You checked the ISO file with md5 --> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
2) You burned the CD at 4X speed, or slower
3) You checked the CD with md5, as in step 1

You may also consider cleaning your cd-drive with one of the cd/dvd drivecleaners. It really does sound like a file corruption somewhere to me.

Phill.

Jeyaganeshdj
November 16th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Thanks Phill, I have checked the dowloaded iso files hash value and it is exactly the same as in the ubuntu hashes page. I have burned the cd at 4x speed but i have erased the cd after installation. so i am not in a position to check the hash value in the cd. what should i do next? once again thanks a lot...

Jeyaganeshdj
November 17th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Hi,

Please let me know if there is some kind of solution to my problem or only a re-installation is a solution. thanks a lot

Jeyaganeshdj
November 17th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Please find the errors when i tried to run RhythmBox and Ubuntu Software center from terminal

RhythmBox

** (rhythmbox:2035): CRITICAL **: atk_object_set_name: assertion `name != NULL' failed

** (rhythmbox:2035): CRITICAL **: atk_object_set_name: assertion `name != NULL' failed

(rhythmbox:2035): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Could not import pygtk
ImportError: No module named pygtk
Segmentation fault

Ubuntu Software center

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/software-center", line 25, in <module>
import pygtk
ImportError: No module named pygtk