PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 freezing

ameermawia
November 15th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Hi! Everybody
I have installed ubuntu 9.10 on dell inspiron 6000.Ever since i have installed it is freezing/hanging relentlessly.I have to shut it down most of the time by using power button.and the number of time i hv to shut it down this way is much more than number of time i had the opportunity to properly shut it down.
Befor this version i was using ubuntu 8.10 on my compaq presario r3000,and i never felt any such problem.I hv used many earlier distribution on presario r3000 and also used 7.04 ubuntu on dell inpiron 6000 and never really felt any such kind of problem,it was a very smooth ride with those combination!!!

I am not able to make what exactly is the reason this time?
wether this is with ubuntu 9.10 and or dell inspiron 6000 or their combination.
Can you ppl plz give any kind of suggestion regarding this.
Any help in this regard will highly be appriaciated.
Thanks
Mawia

PorkyPie
November 15th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Maybe you have a corrupted disk, try burning it again. If that doesn't work, re-download it and burn it again.

fox123
November 15th, 2009, 04:37 PM
My computer is doing the same thing. I have a Compaq Evo N610c Laptop with a 2.0Ghz P4, 512mb ram and a Ati 7500 video card. I installed Karmic and as soon as I clicked on anything the computer would freeze up. I thought I had a bad disk. So I downloaded it again and did a md5 check. I installed it on my desktop no problem, but on the Compaq as soon as I click on anything (the firefox icon for example) the computer freezes up. I've been running Ibex on this computer for the last year without any problems and I just installed Jaunty and It's running fine. I can't even open a terminal because the update manager starts up and the computer freezes up.

zamrg
November 15th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I have the same problem - computer runs fine for hours or even a day or 2 and then out nowhere, it locks up. I can't move the mouse and no keyboard combination works - I have to switch off and restart by holding the power button.

rasa23
November 18th, 2009, 05:23 PM
This worked for me:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReinhardTartler/X/RevertingIntelDriverTo2.4

I also disabled Compiz entirely: sudo chmod a-x /usr/bin/compiz but went back in after doing the above and reenabled it, and with the 2.4 driver I'm freeze-free.

zamrg
November 19th, 2009, 12:15 PM
This worked for me:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReinhardTartler/X/RevertingIntelDriverTo2.4

I also disabled Compiz entirely: sudo chmod a-x /usr/bin/compiz but went back in after doing the above and reenabled it, and with the 2.4 driver I'm freeze-free.

Did you upgrade by adding the jaunty repo as specified in the instructions or did you try karmic? I added karmic, installed the gpg key, updated but the package could not be found - guessing it's cause I selected karmic.

zamrg
November 21st, 2009, 09:51 AM
thanks rasa23 - I downgraded to the jaunty driver version and haven't had a freeze in 2 days now.

cabinetman
December 10th, 2009, 03:51 PM
My computer is doing the same thing. I have a Compaq Evo N610c Laptop with a 2.0Ghz P4, 512mb ram and a Ati 7500 video card. I installed Karmic and as soon as I clicked on anything the computer would freeze up. I thought I had a bad disk. So I downloaded it again and did a md5 check. I installed it on my desktop no problem, but on the Compaq as soon as I click on anything (the firefox icon for example) the computer freezes up. I've been running Ibex on this computer for the last year without any problems and I just installed Jaunty and It's running fine. I can't even open a terminal because the update manager starts up and the computer freezes up.

Go to System-Preferences-Appearance-Visual Effects and click on none. In 9.04 this was the default. In 9.10 they changed the default to normal.