PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrading jaunty -> karmic and dual-boot with XP

rpaskudniak
November 15th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Greetings, family.

I have been geting by OK with Jaunty (9.04) but having seen some features of 9.10 on my son's computer, I would like to take the plunge as well. This, despite some complaints I have seen about slowdowns after the upgrade. BTW, my son's machine really drags now on downloads from hulu and ninjavideo.net. Not a big concern on my dinosaur, since it has not been able to play high quality downloaded videos even on Windows.

To my main question, however: Is there a history of the 9.04 -> 9.10 upgrade messing up the dual-boot arrangement? The threads I have viewed so far do not seem to cover this issue.

I have taken the precaution of saving a copy of menu.lst on my flash-memory and removing it.

As I am typing this, the upgrade has downloaded 1708 of 1730 files. I planned to click on [Cancel] before the "Installing" step but the option isn't offered there so it is installing.

I really don't think my NTFS partition will be affected but I am concerned about the boot process.

Advice, please? Besides "you should have asked before proceeding".

Also, is there a log of all operations taking place?? I see the steps zooming pazt a small "terminal" screen but where can I revisit this information?

Thanks much.

rpaskudniak
November 18th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Well, since I had to reboot for reasons other than the question, I found out just fine - my dual boot is working just fine. Problem solved. Actually, problem discovered to be a non-problem.