PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to Firefox 3.5 with Synaptic Package Manager

JimTheSailor
November 15th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I have downloaded firefox-3.5.5.tar.bz2 to my /home/jim/Downloads directory and I can find firefox-3.0.15 in Synaptic but I cannot figure out how to connect the two. I am running firefox 3.0.15 but Synaptic does not allow me to flag it for upgrade. I suspect that I just need a little push in the right direction although I have spent hours searching for it by myself. Thank you so much for any help you can give me.
Jim

garvinrick4
November 15th, 2009, 08:31 AM
What are you running if it is 9.04 it is called Shirekto or something close to that. It is still firefox 3.5 I actually forget
why you had to load the Shirekto package before 9.10 but it does
not matter. There is no firefox 3.5 in Synaptic.

I do know that Shirekto was in KDE I ran at one time.

Anyway they are one and the same.

JimTheSailor
November 15th, 2009, 09:18 PM
What are you running if it is 9.04 it is called Shirekto or something close to that. It is still firefox 3.5 I actually forget
why you had to load the Shirekto package before 9.10 but it does
not matter. There is no firefox 3.5 in Synaptic.

I do know that Shirekto was in KDE I ran at one time.

Anyway they are one and the same.
Thanks for your reply garvinrick4, I am running GNOME version 2.22.3 & synaptic 1.61ubuntu9. I assume that you are referring to KDE version 9.04. (I must admit that I had never heard of it until your message. I am rather a beginner at Linux. My background is in Geac's ZOPL, Tandem's early systems, and Digital's DCL). Synaptic does not seem to have Shirekto. It sounds as though I will have to wait for firefox 3.5.
Thanks again,
Jim

garvinrick4
November 16th, 2009, 03:01 AM
If you are running 9.10 there is a firefox 3.5.5 out now, at least that is what I am running.
Gotta be hanging around somewhere in your machine. Hunt it down and install it or upgrade it, make it a mission do not sleep until you solve it. It is in my "Main."

garvinrick4
November 16th, 2009, 07:53 AM
It will be in add and remove programs hiding under firefox web browser 3.0

This is a transitional package so firefox-3.0 users get firefox-3.5 on upgrades.

Hopefully that works for you.

Administration to Add-Remove programs.

JimTheSailor
January 28th, 2010, 06:46 PM
A little late but thanks for you help. I finally found it and forgot to check for more information.
Jim