PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error while trying to install proprietary ATI drivers for old graphics card

josephpford
November 15th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I went to the ATI download site and downloaded the proprietary driver for my ATI Mobility FireGL T2 graphics card in my IBM R50P laptop.

After downloading, I moved it to a new directory and set it to executable and then executed it. Here is the output:

==================================================
ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager
==================================================

Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
default:v2:i686:lib::none:2.6.31-14-generic; make sure that the version is being
correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.FEruLw

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I then tried executing the command with the flag '--iscurrentdistro' and '-iscurrentdistro' but only got the standard "help" message:

jford@jford-laptop:~/ati$ ./ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run -iscurrentdistro
Unrecognized flag : -iscurrentdistro
Makeself version 2.1.3
1) Getting help or info about ./ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run :
./ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run -h|--help Print this message
./ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run -i|--info Print embedded info : title, default target directory, embedded script
./ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run -l|--list Print the list of files in the archive
./ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run -c|--check Checks integrity of the archive
./ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run --extract NewDirectory Extract this package to NewDirectory only

2) Running ./ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run :
./ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run [options] [additional arguments to embedded script] with following options (in that order)
--keep Do not erase target directory after running the embedded script
Following arguments will be passed to the embedded script:
--install Install the driver(default)
--listpkg List all the generatable packages
--buildpkg package Build "package" if generatable ("package" as returned by --listpkg)
--buildandinstallpkg package Build and Install "package" as returned by --listpkg

jford@jford-laptop:~/ati$

Anybody have any ideas on how I can get this to install? The graphics in Windows are great (can watch Hulu.com, play a decent amount of video games, etc), but in Linux, it's horrible. I can barely play video on hulu.com, can barely play any video games, etc.

josephpford
November 15th, 2009, 07:13 AM
I found this site and will give it a try:

http://tan-com.com/posts/technology/fix-ubuntu-904-ati-driver-issue

josephpford
November 15th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Warning!

Do not use the above website to install ati drivers!!! It hosed my system!

Mark Phelps
November 15th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Unless your ATI card is one of the latest HD 3x/4x/5x or Mobility Radeon cards, there are NO ATI drives you can install that will work with your card and Ubuntu newer than 8.10.

Trying to force driver installation will only, as you have discovered, hose up your system big time.

The link below has instructions for removing the ATI drivers and replacing them with the open source drivers:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver