PDA

View Full Version : Boredom creates my new project, woot!

nw2001
November 15th, 2009, 06:53 AM
(Not sure entirely where to post this so bare with me here, If its in the wrong place let me know, also long post incoming, read the TLDR to see if you are interested down at the bottom!)

Over the past few years I've done my fair share of mmorpg hopping and playing various games inbetween mmos, Growing tired of my old habbit world of warcraft, I'm back to an idea I've looked and thought about before, Good old Pen and Paper role playing games, I've always thought about how fun they could be, but I've never really had the chance to give them a spin.

Which brings me to my new project, I'd like to start up Project to do two things, Create a rule system to RP with, I could always just play D&D or one of the various other ones, but whats the fun in that? The next part is just as important, I want to make a whole setting, for use with the RPG system made, and for whatever else it can be adapted to, Essentially I want to make a PNP RPG game, That requires building a system to play with, And a setting to use as a backdrop for said rpg, And It'd be interesting to see some form of open source PNP Game.:popcorn:

Anyone interested in starting such a project? It's kind of daunting to think about doing all on my own.

TLDR Version:Anyone interested in making an open source Pen and paper RPG game plus a setting to go with it?

Bungo Pony
November 15th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Isn't that why FE (Falcon's Eye) is in the repos?

Странник
November 15th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Wow, I'm not able to help full time, because of my studies, however I will subscribe and watch your progress

nw2001
November 16th, 2009, 02:54 AM
I suppose this could be seen as some form of bump(BUUUUUUUUUUUUMP!), Anyways going to post some of my concepts for the RPG system.

First off a short concept for the combat system

Combat
There will be turns but not like most games where during your turn your opponent has limited actions.

For example, lets say theres a fight going on between two fighters and fighter1 runs low on action points(Which allow him to attack or move for instance) so he ends his turn, and the enemy starts, at the beginning of the fighter2's turn fighter2 regens all of his action points, and attacks, Fighter1 has several choices, he can dodge or parry the attack using his spare action points or perhaps just attack back.

This introduces a few new concepts, The idea of trying to keep it your turn as long as possible to keep the enemy from regenerating action points, the moment you run out of things to do on your turn it ends, It also introduces the idea that not just the player whos turn it is can do stuff, Just because its player 1's turn doesnt mean player 2 cant attack. This will introduce things like playing defensively by keeping action points for the enemies turn so you can defend, or as previously mentioned trying to keep the enemy from regaining Action points so you can take a lead, and should also make things MUCH more fast paced.

My apologies for the horrible structure but I don't have time to rewrite it, Anyways it tries to solve one major problem most of my friends tend to have with PNP RPGS, how slow paced they can be, It also makes it some what tactical imo. Hope you enjoyed the read.

Please reply with ideas and such.