PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] netbook has screwed up activity bar, newspaper gone

pwrcul
November 15th, 2009, 05:06 AM
I screwed it up while trying to figure out stuff with little success. In my trial and error I took the option to remove stuff, but I see no way to get them back.

So I no longer have the number applications running, newspaper button, applications button, and the binoculars are over on the left.

I am still clueless on where this stuff is documented. All I could find are videos/demos, reviews, overviews, of the desktop and the documentation for regular KDE.

Thanks in advance.

More: background, more rant:

Let me mention I am only now seriously striving to switch to Kubuntu on my desktop machine and on my netbook. So I don't know that much yet.

I wonder if I have to reinstall the whole Kubuntu netbook package?
I wonder if I can somehow repair or replace just the damaged activity bar?

Has anyone worked up any documentation for the netbook version?

I was having trouble with the newspaper, now I seem to have lost it. Any clues on it?

pwrcul
November 15th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I found a partial fix with a downside,

I have a new default activity bar, but no applications and still no newspaper.

Clicking on the buttons for Applications and Newspaper on the new activity bar shows a successful press but no result.

Good Part:
From this link I learned how to get the applications bar in post 7.
http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3107347.0

The relevant passage was this:
"if you want to get back to the default, you can delete .kde/share/config/plasma-netbook-appletsrc in your home directory and restart KDE."

I chose to mv the screwed up one to the same name plus .old

But then I got a totally white desktop with only my activity bar as the exception.

pwrcul
November 17th, 2009, 03:24 PM
An update:
I tried in konsole
kquittapp plasma
but was told no plasma app was running.

so in .kde/share/config/ I used mv to change the names of all that start with plasma to .old and restarted.
I got back most of what I had destroyed. The newspaper came back without its containment though.

Right now I am still considering a reinstall of the regular Kubuntu or perhaps the remix.

Zorael
November 17th, 2009, 07:50 PM
The processes' names are plasma-desktop and plasma-netbook, I believe.

And yes, removing/renaming everything rhyming with plasma in ~/.kde/share/config/ should make it fall back to using the default settings.

pwrcul
November 18th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Zorael, thanks for the comment.

I still did not get back either the applications menu thing nor the newspaper so I decided to do a fresh install of the regular Kubuntu 9.10 desktop version and await the next release--or perhaps something interim that is further along.

Right now, the Kubentu netbook 9.10 technology preview is a little too cutting edge for me. It is very interesting, and I learned some of the "plumbing" involved, but my main goals are pragmatic.

irelandmc
December 13th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Just had to do this same thing with my Kubuntu 9.10 install.
~/.kde/share/config/ mkdir old
~/.kde/share/config/ mv plas* old
restart
Everything was back where I started.
Thanks for the help.