PDA

View Full Version : I think my graphics card just died.

AllRadioisDead
November 15th, 2009, 04:11 AM
I was inside my system removing a second hard drive I had in there, I closed it up, tried to boot up and noticed that my monitor isn't getting a signal, and the fan on my HD 4850 stops right after the computer starts. Is there any hope for it? It's a fairly new card, just under a year old. On top of this, my laptop refuses to charge. It's not my day. :(

Mike'sHardLinux
November 15th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Aside from the fan not spinning on the card, is the system trying to boot up?... getting the beep codes for no video card? I would also suspect the power supply.

The Funkbomb
November 15th, 2009, 04:14 AM
You may have just knocked it loose. Make sure it's still seated in the slot and the power cable is still attached.

AllRadioisDead
November 15th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Aside from the fan not spinning on the card, is the system trying to boot up?... getting the beep codes for no video card? I would also suspect the power supply.
It's not beeping, it does beep. I turned it off pretty quickly though because the card started getting warm.

You may have just knocked it loose. Make sure it's still seated in the slot and the power cable is still attached.
I don't think that's the case, the fan starts up but dies after a few seconds.

Mike'sHardLinux
November 15th, 2009, 04:26 AM
The most obvious step at this point would be to remove your 4850 and try the on-board video (if your board has it), or pop in a different card. I get the feeling you have neither.... :-(

AllRadioisDead
November 15th, 2009, 04:31 AM
The most obvious step at this point would be to remove your 4850 and try the on-board video (if your board has it), or pop in a different card. I get the feeling you have neither.... :-(
Unfortunately your assumption was correct :(

BuffaloX
November 15th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Don't you have some onboard graphics or an old graphics card you could try.
If you computer works with another graphics card, try to insert your 4850 again, if you don't have onboard or another card, try your 4850 in another computer.

Fan spinning down is a bad sign, but you can't be sure what's wrong until it's been at least double checked.

AllRadioisDead
November 15th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Don't you have some onboard graphics or an old graphics card you could try.
If you computer works with another graphics card, try to insert your 4850 again, if you don't have onboard or another card, try your 4850 in another computer.

Fan spinning down is a bad sign, but you can't be sure what's wrong until it's been at least double checked.
My only other computer is about 10 years old.
The card is still under warranty though, so I might bring it in if it comes down to that.