PDA

View Full Version : Break Up letter to Microsoft

Jad
January 30th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Dear Microsoft :

It's over. Our relationship just hasn't been working for a while, and now, this is it. I'm leaving you for another Operating system.

I know this isn't a good time--you're down with yet another virus. I do hope you feel better soon--really, I do--but I, too, have to move on with my life. Fact is, in the entire time I've known you, you seem to always have a virus or an occasional worm. You should really see a doctor.

That said, I just can't continue with this relationship any longer. I know you say you'll fix things, that next time it'll go better--but that's what you said the last time--and the time before that. Each time I believed you.

Well, not any longer.

You cheater!

The truth is there's nothing more you can say to make things better. I know about your secret marriage to patent. You say you two are not seeing each other anymore, but I just don't believe it. You say you can live without patent, and I've heard that patent can live without you, but I know that's simply not true.

What about HTML e-mail in Outlook? Every time there's a new letter in the Inbox, you rush over to help Windows render it. And what about HTML within Word? There you go again. And don't get me started with those late nights you've spent rendering thumbnail images in Windows Explorer. You're all over Windows and, what, you just expect me to turn a blind eye?

You're no longer fit

For another thing, you've gone and gotten all lazy and out of shape on me. When was the last time you picked up a new feature? Two years ago? Three? While you rest on your laurels, while you spend your days slapping patches on the various flaws that seem to pour out as though your source code were a colander, the Internet has changed. A lot.

Last Christmas, I gave you a free RSS reader, Pluck, and you seemed to like it, with new feeds popping up from time to time keeping you fun and relevant. It gave me reason to think maybe you and I could work things out. But, in the end, it just wasn't a true fit; it wasn't really a part of you.

When I mentioned wanting to view more than one Web page at a time, you just laughed, said it couldn't be done. Well, I knew that wasn't true. Opera, Netscape, and now Firefox, they can all do it. You simply don't want to discuss change.

And when you do, it's only because of someone else. A certain someone else: Windows. Don't deny it. You didn't think twice when Windows XP SP2 offered you its shiny new pop-up blocker. Or gave you new firewall protection. I know Windows has promised to block buffer overflows, too--but I'll believe it when I see it.

Yet what have you done for me lately? I don't want to keep upgrading my operating system just to keep you around. Talk about baggage.

This is it

I know, I've tried breaking up before, and I've always come back, but that's because I couldn't find the right operating system to move on with. I want an independent one, one that stands on its own without a codependent company. What I want is an OS that's strong and secure, one that handles the latest content and won't crash. I want transparency. I want code that actually means something.

I have found just that.

With Ubuntu Linux, at least I know where I stand. The code is open source, built from the ground up, clean--not recycled. No more hidden agendas. At least when there's a flaw in Ubuntu, apt alerts me. It doesn't try to hide its mistakes, waiting until the second Tuesday of the month to offer me a patch for some flaw that's been out there for six months already.

And you always seem to walk out of the room whenever Linux stops by. Why? What are you afraid of? Honestly, a grown company like you afraid of a little operating system? I think this snobby behaviour speaks volumes about what's wrong with this relationship.

So this is it: Good-bye. I know you'll do fine without me; you always have. I'm sure there'll be someone who'll find you to be cute and interesting. It just won't be me.

and its Just to tease you, I'm making love on terminal

unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; unmount; sleep

rudi
January 30th, 2005, 06:07 PM
LOL http://www.ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/eusa_clap.gif well said! (I don't think it will hurt windows, because, fairly to say, i don't think Windows had a monogamous relationship with you ;))

Jad
January 30th, 2005, 08:04 PM
My new wife Ubuntu is much pretty lady :-)

clparker
January 30th, 2005, 08:11 PM
I posted that on my door to my dorm.

Jad
January 30th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Take a picture and attach it here please.

BWF89
January 30th, 2005, 10:44 PM
You should send that to Microsoft.

Jad
January 30th, 2005, 10:48 PM
I would like to, do you know any of their Quality assurance emails?
Do you think they would reply to his kind of emails?

rudi
January 30th, 2005, 10:59 PM
My new wife Ubuntu is much pretty lady :-)
if a woman is named ubuntu i think of a "big moma" http://www.ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

Jad
January 31st, 2005, 12:28 AM
Well, Ubuntu is the family but her name is Warty :-)

jdodson
January 31st, 2005, 01:12 AM
sweet. i read something similar where the person was talkig about win95, etc. was linked of slashdot. this is good too :)

Lovechild
January 31st, 2005, 08:17 AM
Dear Jad

Prepare to get sued for emotional damage, I want half of what you own.

- Microsoft

Jad
January 31st, 2005, 09:30 AM
Well, Emotional damage is much easier than system damage, I believe I can handle emotional one.

Adrenal
January 31st, 2005, 09:41 AM
You borrowed most of that from the 'goodbye internet explorer' letter from a while back.
Still funny though

Jad
January 31st, 2005, 09:59 AM
Actually I hate the word "stole"
first it was based on "Dear IE, I'm leaving you for good" if you check my blog I have included the source.
http://www.easyhttp.com/jad/2004/11/microsoft-break-up-letter-to-ie.html

I would like to see your post edited removing stolen word. keep it respectable mate :-)
cheers

oddabe19
January 31st, 2005, 04:37 PM
/me applauds... quite well done... even if you did steal it.

I've made my Real life girlfriend jealous. I told her i would leave her for the ubuntu symbol anyday.

she didn't believe me. I showed her.

disclaimer: since the ubuntu symbol isn't a real object... i can't leave my girlfriend for it... however... if it were... GOOODBYE Tiffany, HEEEELLLLLOOOOO ubuntu symbol....

don't listen to me... i'm so out of it after spending 2 hrs in my solfege class... ugh....

Jad
January 31st, 2005, 05:49 PM
stole is damn bad word, at least for me.

Well, I was thinking to start a companion here in this forum for the best Break-up letter, but that guy just broke up my day

jan
January 31st, 2005, 05:50 PM
Cool story. We should spread it around in a great way... :)

Jan

Jad
January 31st, 2005, 05:52 PM
Ahh
Jan! my soul mate, Hi, I'm Jad :-)
by the way, in my country Jan is a female given name, what about Czech?

as you can see I've just broke it up with my cyber GF. are you READY? -:)

poofyhairguy
January 31st, 2005, 06:21 PM
Well, I was thinking to start a companion here in this forum for the best Break-up letter, but that guy just broke up my day

How bout a short but sweet one:

"Dear Microsoft:

I cannot take it anymore, your XP operating system looks like a children's toy. As an adult, I need an adult OS. That why I picked Ubuntu for my computer.

Don't worry, I'll be you customer again when you buy Nintendo after you realize that the Xbox 2 (or three by then) needs more than your crappy PC games to be successful. When you swallow my favorite company to fix this problem, I will be forced to support you again. ](*,)

Till then, kiss my ass.

Poofyhairguy"

Jad
January 31st, 2005, 06:35 PM
Nice one!!

Anyone can write a better break up letter?

jeremy
February 1st, 2005, 07:05 AM
Dear Windows,
I cannot live with your quirks and jealous behaviour any more.
I have filed for divorce. Keep the kids (little virus and little worm, they always took after you anyway).
Up yours.

Jad
February 1st, 2005, 11:35 AM
Good one Guru!