PDA

View Full Version : Is Ubuntu the only OS you have installed on your Computer?

Eagles18
November 15th, 2009, 12:51 AM
I also have Vista installed on my computer,but I never use it,so I'm considering deleting the partition and adding the space to my Ubuntu partition.

Neezer
November 15th, 2009, 12:54 AM
I also have Vista installed on my computer,but I never use it,so I'm considering deleting the partition and adding the space to my Ubuntu partition.

I just did that this past week. I am liking it so far....I had a 300GB vista partition and only a 60GB Ubuntu partition. so I made the old vista partition my home, and now I have room for all my music and stuff....If I muck up the OS install too bad, I can always reload software, but I'll still have my home folder.

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 15th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Currently. If StarCraft 2 would've come out this year, then I'd still have Windows on here :)

ddarsow
November 15th, 2009, 12:55 AM
??? there are other options?:D

ZankerH
November 15th, 2009, 12:59 AM
3 - "Ubuntu is not an OS."

To answer in a non-pedantic manner, Ubuntu is the only software distribution of GNU/Linux I currently have installed on this PC, and GNU/Linux is the only OS I currently have installed on this PC.

Istonian
November 15th, 2009, 01:01 AM

To answer in a non-pedantic manner, Ubuntu is the only software distribution of GNU/Linux I currently have installed on this PC, and GNU/Linux is the only OS I currently have installed on this PC.

._.

Naiki Muliaina
November 15th, 2009, 01:01 AM
No, but Linux is.

Fedora 11
Ubuntu 9.10
Mandriva 2010 (rawks!)

Tipped OuT
November 15th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I have installed:

Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Black Edition
Windows Vista Ultimate
Windows Vista Home Basic
Windows Vista Home Premium
Windows Tiny Vista
Windows 7 BETA (Build 7000)
Windows 7 RC (Build 7100)
Windows 7 Ultimate
Ubuntu 8.10
Ubuntu 9.04
Kubuntu 8.10
Kubuntu 9.04
Xubuntu 9.04
OpenSUSE 11.1

Beat that.

Naiki Muliaina
November 15th, 2009, 01:10 AM
I have installed:

Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Black Edition
Windows Vista Ultimate
Windows Vista Home Basic
Windows Tiny Vista
Windows 7 Ultimate
Ubuntu 8.10
Ubuntu 9.04
Kubuntu 8.10
Kubuntu 9.04
Xubuntu 9.04
OpenSUSE 11.1

Beat that.

All at the same time? O.o

NoaHall
November 15th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Windows 7
Windows Vista
Fedora 11
Fedora 12
Ubuntu 8.04
Ubuntu 9.04
Debian Lenny
Arch Linux
Dream Linux
DSL
Puppy Linux

All 64 bit, except DSL, Puppy, Dream.

I don't like using Virtual box to see how distros run.

gavshouse
November 15th, 2009, 01:24 AM
I have installed:

Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Black Edition
Windows Vista Ultimate
Windows Vista Home Basic
Windows Tiny Vista
Windows 7 Ultimate
Ubuntu 8.10
Ubuntu 9.04
Kubuntu 8.10
Kubuntu 9.04
Xubuntu 9.04
OpenSUSE 11.1

Beat that.

GOD ! keeping them all patched and updated must take forever and tan ur bandwidth

hoppipolla
November 15th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Nah 7 as well. Sometimes I wish I had left XP though as there's a chance it would have played my games faster... I don't know.

Tipped OuT
November 15th, 2009, 01:28 AM
GOD ! keeping them all patched and updated must take forever and tan ur bandwidth

My bandwidth is almost infinite. I have the best Wireless Internet I could possibly get with AT&T.

Eagles18
November 15th, 2009, 01:29 AM

Care to explain that quote?

Tipped OuT
November 15th, 2009, 01:32 AM

He's one of those Free software enthusiasts. Very technical guy. He even got offended when someone called him a Linux user, instead of a GNU/Linux user. Something like that.

Zoot7
November 15th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I've Karmic and openSUSE 11.2 dual booted on my laptop.
On my desktop I've Karmic, openSUSE 11.2, Windows XP and Windows 7 installed.

Ubuntu is the one I use the most though, followed by openSUSE.

hoppipolla
November 15th, 2009, 01:37 AM

Rofl! Wicked quote :)

Zoot7
November 15th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I have installed:

Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Black Edition
Windows Vista Ultimate
Windows Vista Home Basic
Windows Tiny Vista
Windows 7 Ultimate
Ubuntu 8.10
Ubuntu 9.04
Kubuntu 8.10
Kubuntu 9.04
Xubuntu 9.04
OpenSUSE 11.1
Haha, loving those two. Not going to ask where you got them. :tongue:

ZankerH
November 15th, 2009, 01:53 AM

Ubuntu is a software distribution of the GNU/Linux operating system. Software distributions do not constitute separate operating systems. For example, Ubuntu, Debian and Arch are software distributions of the same operating system - GNU/Linux.

Bunnybugs
November 15th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Windows 7
Windows Vista
Fedora 11
Fedora 12
Ubuntu 8.04
Ubuntu 9.04
Debian Lenny
Arch Linux
Dream Linux
DSL
Puppy Linux

All 64 bit, except DSL, Puppy, Dream.

I don't like using Virtual box to see how distros run.

Damn 0.o

Some people really have to much time on their hands, every time rebooting for another OS 0.o

I have Ubuntu as home-distro, and I use a couple of OS' with virtualization...

Got: XP (Home, Pro and Gamers Edition), Vista (Home, Home Premium, Ultimate), Windows 7 (Home), Debian Lenny, Arch, and Ubuntu 9.10 NBR.

All these are for work purpose, and the gamers edition is for my room-mates, so they can run their game updates through my Internet connection...

But, the best of all is Ubuntu (the home-os:D)

EDIT: I just realised that I'm pretty screwed when it all crashes, but forgot my Flashdrives with all the live versions: Ubuntu NBR 9.10, Ubuntu 9.04, 9.10, arch, Debian Lenny, Windows-on-a-stick, Mac-on-a-stick, Puppy!

Poor boss, cause I'll take all his flashdrives to my next job, won't return my prescious work!:D

Bunnybugs
November 15th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Ubuntu is a software distribution of the GNU/Linux operating system. Software distributions do not constitute separate operating systems. For example, Ubuntu, Debian and Arch are software distributions of the same operating system - GNU/Linux.

I don't agree with that... What does Operating System mean?

It tells me that it's the system that let's your computer do his job;)

The kernel may be GNU/Linux, but it's a complete picture that operates it, not just the GNU/Linux part;)

hoppipolla
November 15th, 2009, 02:02 AM

lol rubbiiiiish! Ubuntu is an OS! Linux isn't an OS, but Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, openSUSE, Mint and all that junk are operating systems, all the pedanticism in the world can't save you from that! :)

The kernel may be GNU/Linux, but it's a complete picture that operates it, not just the GNU/Linux part;)

Actually I don't think the KERNEL is GNU/Linux, the kernal is just "Linux" :)

NoaHall
November 15th, 2009, 02:06 AM
l
Actually I don't think the KERNEL is GNU/Linux, the kernal is just "Linux" :)

Yep, Linux is the kernel, and the GNU is there because they helped develop a few things.

ZankerH
November 15th, 2009, 02:09 AM
I don't agree with that... What does Operating System mean?

It tells me that it's the system that let's your computer do his job;)

Linux is the kernel, GNU is, as you put it, "the complete picture that operates it". Of course, over the years, more software has been added into that mix, but overall, GNU started the Free Software Movement, and Linux made GNU a viable complete OS, so the naming is pretty obvious.

Linux isn't an OS

Of course not, nobody is claiming it is, and it would be a pretty absurd claim to call the kernel an OS. GNU/Linux, however, is an operating system, and all of it's software distributions are (obviously) based directly off it.

NoaHall
November 15th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Damn 0.o

Some people really have to much time on their hands, every time rebooting for another OS 0.o

I have Ubuntu as home-distro, and I use a couple of OS' with virtualization...

Got: XP (Home, Pro and Gamers Edition), Vista (Home, Home Premium, Ultimate), Windows 7 (Home), Debian Lenny, Arch, and Ubuntu 9.10 NBR.

All these are for work purpose, and the gamers edition is for my room-mates, so they can run their game updates through my Internet connection...

But, the best of all is Ubuntu (the home-os:D)

EDIT: I just realised that I'm pretty screwed when it all crashes, but forgot my Flashdrives with all the live versions: Ubuntu NBR 9.10, Ubuntu 9.04, 9.10, arch, Debian Lenny, Windows-on-a-stick, Mac-on-a-stick, Puppy!

Poor boss, cause I'll take all his flashdrives to my next job, won't return my prescious work!:D

Not when you have a boot time of 18 to 25 seconds per OS ;)

hoppipolla
November 15th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Of course not, nobody is claiming it is, and it would be a pretty absurd claim to call the kernel an OS. GNU/Linux, however, is an operating system, and all of it's software distributions are (obviously) based directly off it.

Whatever man, Ubuntu is an operating system... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(operating_system) :)

ZankerH
November 15th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Whatever man, Ubuntu is an operating system... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(operating_system) :)

You lose the argument due to quoting wikipedia and/or a self-referencing article.

To answer you with a question: If GNU/Linux software distributions are separate operating systems, what does that make GNU/Linux? Because I see a clear hierarchical progression in software distribution->family of software distributions (ie debian, redhat, suse, arch)->operating system. Doesn't it seem kind of pointless to equate the two elements on the different ends of the chain? Just creates needless confusion and, in fact, misstates facts.

hoppipolla
November 15th, 2009, 02:26 AM
You lose the argument due to quoting wikipedia and/or a self-referencing article.

To answer you with a question: If GNU/Linux software distributions are separate operating systems, what does that make GNU/Linux? Because I see a clear hierarchical progression in software distribution->family of software distributions (ie debian, redhat, suse, arch)->operating system. Doesn't it seem kind of pointless to equate the two elements on the different ends of the chain? Just creates needless confusion and, in fact, misstates facts.

GNU/Linux isn't an OS o.O

It's the basis for an OS...

and there's nothing wrong with quoting Wikipedia :)

Tipped OuT
November 15th, 2009, 02:29 AM

Dude, Ubuntu, Arch, OpenSUSE... they're all considered operating systems, whether you like it or not.

Wake up, and join the real world.

toupeiro
November 15th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Dude, Ubuntu, Arch, OpenSUSE... they're all considered operating systems, whether you like it or not.

+1

I've been running the Ubuntu OPERATING SYSTEM solely on my computer for almost three years without a dual boot. Any VM's I have are for feature experimentation and leisure, they are not requirements to do something specific that I cannot do in linux.

Joe Ker1086
November 15th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Sorry...i love linux but too many of my classes in school require me to use ms office (like an access 2007 class) wine works but can be glitchy at times....i do run fedora and will be running arch linux too soon tho :)

Bölvağur
November 15th, 2009, 02:41 AM
GNU/Linux isn't an OS o.O

It's the basis for an OS...

and there's nothing wrong with quoting Wikipedia :)

yeah there is nothing wrong with quoting wikipedia, but it is true, GNU/Linux is an operating system and Ubuntu is just based on it.

There are few definitions of what an OS is. But basically it's just the software that talks to your hardware + tools to help your programs run. That is, Linux + GNU.
There really isn't much difference between the other software, like Compiz vs Pidgin... or Warsow vs apt-get

You cannot use your computer without an OS, but you can without programs.

btw there is no option for people like me that run multiple computers. Should I take an average or..?

J-Buntu
November 15th, 2009, 02:50 AM
100% pure Ubuntu - whatever it is . .

Eagles18
November 15th, 2009, 03:05 AM

I'm with you.

jomiolto
November 15th, 2009, 03:27 AM
What does Operating System mean?

That's an interesting question, especially in regards to Linux distributions.

For example: I've got an installation of Arch and a minimal installation of Karmic with almost exactly the same packages installed. From the functional point of view those are nearly identical systems; one uses Pacman and the other dpkg, but otherwise they look and feel exactly the same (both use the same configuration files for Openbox and for most other programs).

Now, a lot of people would consider those two different operating systems (Arch and Ubuntu); but what about my other, regular installation of Karmic, that is very much different in function to those two other systems? Technically both my Karmic installations are the same operating system (Ubuntu) and even the same version, but the (functional) differences between them are much bigger than between my Arch installation and the minimal Karmic installation. (If I used Debian instead of Arch, the differences would be even smaller).

It seems to me like it's a line drawn in the water and personally I wouldn't consider different Linux distributions to be different operating systems. They're merely variations on the same core GNU/Linux system from different packagers. To me it's the software that makes the operating system, not who packaged it.

Your mileage may vary, though.

Sand & Mercury
November 15th, 2009, 04:05 AM
EDIT: Ah, bugger, posted in the wrong thread. Carry on folks, carry on!

Tipped OuT
November 15th, 2009, 04:06 AM
EDIT: Ah, bugger, posted in the wrong thread. Carry on folks, carry on!

lol Trying to compete with my Windows 7 screen shots eh? Well I'll give you a run for your money Mr.

BuffaloX
November 15th, 2009, 04:12 AM
I dual boot Ubuntu and Windows XP/NT. XP is just for gaming, I'm playing Dragon Age at the moment, just became lvl. 14 mage and got the ashes to save the earl. :D

Rant:
Windows 7 isn't an operating system, since the kernel is called NT, the correct term is Windows 7/NT.
Please refrain from calling Windows an operating system, since windows is just one layer on top of the NT kernel.

I suppose you could call the Linux kernel GNU/Linux kernel, since it's using the GPL license, but why would you?

Calling Linux an OS is not entirely correct.
GNU/Linux is an OS which hundreds of distros are based on.
Saying Ubuntu isn't an OS is silly, GNU/Linux make up the actual basic OS functionality, but if Ubuntu changed to BSD kernel, it would still be Ubuntu and not BSD/Ubuntu, unless Ubuntu choose it to be so.

GNU deserves respect, but should find better way to get it.

timsdeepsky
November 15th, 2009, 04:16 AM
I have XP on another hard drive in my stack....only for gaming from the old days....

Bölvağur
November 15th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Saying Ubuntu isn't an OS is silly, GNU/Linux make up the actual basic OS functionality, but if Ubuntu changed to BSD kernel, it would still be Ubuntu and not BSD/Ubuntu

The actual question would be: is it the SAME operating system?

You just have to think about how much do you have to change to make it stop being the same operating system and be something else. Then start to think about the difference between distros.

Operating System only has one job. To run and assist programs running.

We all have different opinion on what is an operating system when we dont have formal education in it.
Like my sister's fiancé which saw me draw icons on a paper and asked if I was planning to make an OS. For him an OSes look different and therefore the look is the OS. For other's it is the applications which you get by default and how the feel of it is.. .like desktop environments and such.

It may be hard to understand, as from what I understand, I am a very poor teacher and is bad at explaining.... but think about what the guy above me said if you just take 2 minimal installations of 2 distros..

BuffaloX
November 15th, 2009, 04:45 AM
The actual question would be: is it the SAME operating system?

No they are not the same, but neither is Windows 7 and 98, but they are both Windows.
Ubuntu 5.04 is not the same as 9.10 either, but they are both Ubuntu.

Grifulkin
November 15th, 2009, 04:55 AM
No unfortantely :(

NightHawk877
November 15th, 2009, 05:02 AM
I just have Ubuntu installed on my laptop. I still have Windows 7 on my desktop because that's my gaming rig. Ubuntu is also on there.

jomiolto
November 15th, 2009, 05:05 AM
We all have different opinion on what is an operating system when we dont have formal education in it.

And even with formal education we'll still have different opinions. The definition of what constitutes an operating system depends on who you ask.

dragos240
November 15th, 2009, 05:10 AM

Actually. Ubuntu IS an OS. Linux is a kernel. Ubuntu is the whole thing. Which makes it an operating system. Also to answer the question. I voted iie. I have archlinux, ubuntu, and gentoo.

adeypoop
November 15th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Yes Ubuntu is the only OS on my computer, I'm not counting the fact I have XP inside a VM or that my wife uses windows on her laptop.

Its an interesting debate about what is an OS.. personally I think Ubuntu is an operating system but that is to do with branding as much as anything, really all these distros are just variations of Linux.

23dornot23d
November 15th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Five main ones ,,,, Ubuntu is my main one ,,,,,

(but there are somethings that will work on other versions that I cannot run on UBUNTU)

__________________________________________________ ___

First and foremost UBUNTU 8.10 rarely any problems with it ......

Recent upgrade to UBUNTU 9.10 from 9.04 ..... which I am now starting to enjoy .....

ELIVE - E17 - Enlightenment ,,, call it what you will ...... fastest OS .... I have used

MANDRIVA SPRING EDITION 2009 ....... very stable ......

WINDOWS VISTA - I rarely use ...there are a couple of programs that will still only run on it that I need .....

These are installed ..... but at the moment not running .......
( The question was what do you have installed - so added them here )

Not that I need these anymore ..... more nostalgia than anything ..... ;)

KANOTIX - used to work on the USB hard drive - still there just cannot figure out why its not booting up ......
This without a doubt was the first real LINUX to get the masses interested ...........

KNOPPIX - used to work on the USB hard drive - still there just cannot figure out why they stopped booting up ......
very similar to above but came on a DVD with more packages pre installed than KANOTIX .........

sudoer541
November 15th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I voted no. I cant live without my windows xp and maybe soon windows 7?

misfitpierce
November 15th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Yes, only other OS I would have is a different linux distro. Never back to windows and never buying a mac again(had intel macbook but mac sucked). So I would only have another linux distro but 9.10 is a good release, sure it had a few bugs for a lot and a bunch of quirks but those had to be pushed out and fixed before the next LTS. Overall Ubuntu is doing awesomely with development of integrating all the new technologies so just Ubuntu for me!

starcannon
November 15th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I have XP on a Virtual Machine as well.

Dark Aspect
November 15th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Depends - Do virtual machines count as more than one OS?

On the hardware level I only have Ubuntu 9.10, however with virtualbox I probably have 10-15 installed. Plus I have about 4 flash drives laying around and all of them can boot into something.

wilee-nilee
November 15th, 2009, 10:56 PM

You lost The argument if there was actually one by arguing over semantics. The world does not revolve around you.

Guitar John
November 24th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Ubuntu is the only OS actually installed. However, I have Puppy Lunux on a bootable 4 GB USB thumb-drive and I have the boot order in the BIOS set with USB device as the first option, HDD as the second.

I was going to set it up as a dual-boot, but this works just as well.

Psumi
November 25th, 2009, 12:35 AM
For now, yes.

Atzu
November 25th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I vote No... but then my stupid windows died... and now it's the only OS in here :p

Using VirtualBox count as another OS?

Psumi
November 25th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Using VirtualBox count as another OS?

It should.

sisco311
November 25th, 2009, 01:20 AM

It's not a separate OS, but it's a an OS.

Whenever I try to compile the Linux kernel and on top of it some GNU tools, I end up with an OS or with some error messages.

http://www.upload3r.com/serve/241109/1259108342.png

blueshiftoverwatch
November 25th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Shouldn't this be moved to recurring discussions?

lisati
November 25th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Currently dual boot on my laptop, with Vista taking the largest slice, along with Ubuntu and the recovery partition(s).

mamamia88
November 25th, 2009, 05:03 AM
windows 7 is also on my computer

ciborium
November 25th, 2009, 05:22 AM
I voted no because I DO have WinXP installed in a VM.

However, I installed WinXP in the VM last week for the expressed purpose of testing five presentation programs that my church is considering for use during our worship services.

Had I seen this thread two or more weeks ago, I'd have voted yes.

t0p
November 25th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Hmm... Yes and no, I guess.

Yes: Ubuntu is the only OS installed on this computer... and yes, Ubuntu is the only OS installed on my other computer... but on that other computer I also have XP in VirtualBox. Does that count as an installed OS?

ugm6hr
November 25th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Dell Mini - Ubuntu 9.04 (+ xfce4) only
Acer 5051 laptop - Ubuntu 9.04 (+ xfce4), but has XP in a VM - removed the XP dual-boot after not booting it for 12 months and installed in a VM - will prob remove it completely when I haven't used the VM for 12 months.

I think removing a dual-boot is sensible if you don't use it. I removed mine when I was running out of HD space and had to reinstall for 9.04 anyway. Kept a VM as a security blanket... Perhaps when I reinstall for 10.04 I won't bother with XP at all, but a VM doesn't really take much space or intrude, so I think it's pretty harmless. I use the opensource VBox and don't connect it to the internet; no updates etc, but it is isolated from the rest of the world's viruses...

VirtualBox is easier to use than people expect - it's in the repo and recognises everything out of the box, except USB support.

JDShu
November 25th, 2009, 08:17 AM
same, after dual booting for a half a year, I realized that I never booted into windows anyway. It broke my miserly heart to throw my Vista license away like that, but the rational part of me realized that the hard disk space was probably worth more to me. Been using Ubuntu only for two months and my life is not much different.

amitabhishek
November 25th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Since Hardy days it has been my only OS (Now on Jaunty).

openuniverse
November 25th, 2009, 08:36 AM

Flag
November 25th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Arch - Ubuntu - XP as VM ( CS4, photoprinter, slide scanner )

jwbrase
November 25th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Define "my".

If you mean a computer that I actually own and is on this side of the Atlantic, then yes. This is a System76 machine. (Does DOSBox count as an OS, though?)

If you mean a computer that my family owns, but I am the primary user for when I'm at home, then no. That computer has XP on it in addition to Ubuntu, and I've been defaulting to XP on that machine since the ATI driver broke on upgrade to Jaunty.

Eagles18
November 26th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I will have to keep Vista on my computer until I can find a reliable Word processor and a reliable power point application that won't mess up the formatting after saving it as a common format such as .rtf.

Alex Libman
November 26th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Right now I also have partitions with Gentoo, OpenBSD, and Windows 7.

PacSci
November 26th, 2009, 05:17 PM
It is on two of my computers. (The other one runs Arch.) Both of the two that now run Ubuntu used to dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows, but I ended up wiping out Windows on both of them because I never used it. My dad's laptop still dual-boots Xubuntu and Windows, but I don't think I have seen him use Windows in months. Between my entire immediate family, there's only one computer that exclusively runs Windows, and even that might get Ubuntu'd shortly.

tuebinger
November 26th, 2009, 05:18 PM
It's the only OS installed, but I have several others that I run in Virtual Box.

Uncle Spellbinder
November 26th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Karmic, Linux Mint 8 and Win 7. The only reason I keep Win 7 is for a proper media center and the ability to tweak my router.

There is nothing better than Windows Media Center to get TV. Perhaps the only thing Microsoft has done extremely well. As for
the router, I can access it in Windows without issue to tweak settings, port forward and such. I enter the router address in
the url bar in Ubuntu/Mint, I get...

192.xxx.x.x. could not be found. Please check the name and try again.

speedwell68
November 26th, 2009, 07:25 PM
No, but Linux is.

Fedora 11
Ubuntu 9.10
Mandriva 2010 (rawks!)

No it isn't Linux is a kernel. GNU/Linux is the OS.

Anyway, I have Ubuntu 9.10 and Windows 7 in VirtualBox.

peter d
November 28th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I built my PC two years ago and it has only ever had Ubuntu installed on it.

My laptop has only Debian on it. I replaced Windows as soon as I got it.

alexfish
November 28th, 2009, 12:37 AM
from msdos to where it is now

never had faith from start , future the same feelings

can't wait for Linux to become main stream

that will be the day I don't have to call out

a software expert to sort my system out and more

not forgetting the fun you can have with Linux

SmittyJensen
November 28th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Windows 7 x86 is my main OS now (and x64 when I get another GB of ram to be 4GB). I'm about to do Wubi and play with it some.

I'm a gamer so I can't really abandon Windows yet, plus windows isn't all that bad.

LinuxFanBoi
November 28th, 2009, 02:11 AM
If only the folks at wine HQ could fins a way for me to play CoD4 on PB enabled servers through wine, I would dump windows entirely. It's the only thing I do on windows anymore.

LinuxFanBoi
November 28th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I enter the router address in
the url bar in Ubuntu/Mint, I get...

192.xxx.x.x. could not be found. Please check the name and try again.

Did you try perhaps entering it follwing "https://" rather that just "http://" ?

witeshark17
November 28th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Ubuntu is the only OS on my laptop. :KS My only other OS is a desktop Mac. :popcorn:

Uncle Spellbinder
November 28th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Did you try perhaps entering it follwing "https://" rather that just "http://" ?

Yep. Sure did. Still get the page load error message.

wulfgang
November 28th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Not anymore, I dropped ubuntu for Linux Mint, but Mint basicly is ubuntu though.

MoebusNet
November 28th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Ubuntu Hardy installed as host.

VirtualBox installed guests:

Haiku
Kubuntu 9.04
Open Solaris
PC BSD
Ubuntu 9.04
Ubuntu 9.10
Ubuntu 8.04 SE
Windows XP