PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where do you save files to?

JREAM
November 15th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I am wondering the best way to do this please.
Linux has home/user
Is that equivalent to c:/documents and settings/user

So I am wondering, should I save all my files in the home/user area?
If I have a bunch of project files I should organize it all in there?

My only reason for asking this is because if you do view hidden files in the home/user you get a lot of folders. So I would like to know the most common place people save things.

Also, is there a way to change the location where things are automatically downloaded to?
And, is there a way to make a hotkey, like Super(WinKey) + E open the Natulus File Browser?

SuperSonic4
November 15th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I save mine on the desktop.

It's wise to save it anywhere in /home/user really as that's all your user owns on the system

JREAM
November 15th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I save mine on the desktop.

It's wise to save it anywhere in /home/user really as that's all your user owns on the system

Thank you this is what I was curious about, that was a fast reply by the way lol

bacardiandwatermelon
November 15th, 2009, 12:13 AM
To show hidden files it is "ctrl + h". Under System->Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts->Desktop->Home folder can be set to "windows + e".

marcopolo1981
November 15th, 2009, 12:23 AM
For the record, if you un-hide all files in a windows install, the users home directory has about the same number of files and folders as the Ubuntu home/user directory. Windows is just a bit more secretive and hides them better.:p
Just a useless bit of trivia

coffeecat
November 15th, 2009, 12:24 AM
So I am wondering, should I save all my files in the home/user area?
If I have a bunch of project files I should organize it all in there?

Yes, yes and yes. /home/user is for your personal files. You'll run into permissions problems elsewhere anyway.

Just set up folders (Videos, Music, Documents, whatever you want) in there the way you want. If you go to Places > Home Folder, you'll see that your desktop is the first folder there. It may have a special icon, but it's just another folder. (Just like in Windows; just like in MacOS.)

SuperSonic4
November 15th, 2009, 05:35 PM
You can put them on a separate partition and then add an entry in fstab so thye mount on boot but it is trickier in comparison

mr clark25
November 15th, 2009, 06:23 PM
i don't know about everone else, but i told my computer to put all downloads in a folder titled "downloads" in my documents folder. that seems to be best...

J-Buntu
November 15th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Currently my Home folder contains - Accounts, Messenger Received, Crash Logs, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Karmic Sources, Music, Notes, P2P, Pictures, Themes, Torrents, Videos.

halitech
November 15th, 2009, 06:37 PM
i don't know about everone else, but i told my computer to put all downloads in a folder titled "downloads" in my documents folder. that seems to be best...

+1 but I created the downloads folder in ~/ instead.

Paqman
November 15th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Your home folder is intended to be the place for any files you want to dump. Personally I put all my important stuff on a network share that has some redundancy. I only use home for unimportant things like wallpapers or temporary storage.

Anything I need access to when away from home goes into UbuntuOne. I also have a daily anacron job that backs UbuntuOne up onto the same redundant storage mentioned above.

kgroll
November 15th, 2009, 06:49 PM
In my opinion, the /home/<user> most closely resembles the Windows C:/Documents and Settings/<user>/My Documents directory. I prefer to save all of my work in this area, or an appropriately labeled subdirectory, principally because this is the starting point for terminal navigation. You might consider creating a directory /home/<user>/workspace for your projects.

Regarding download location -
I assume you are talking about files downloaded from within your browser. If you're using firefox, you can change this location in Edit>Preferences>Save Files to: (Browse...).

I'm sure there's an answer to your hotkey assignment question, unfortunately I don't have it. But in the meantime, you could use the 'Run Application' shortcut: Alt+F2. Then just start typing Nautilus and it should autocomplete (maybe not the first time?). Not very elegant, but at least you can keep your hands on the keyboard.