PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't find Wifi device

jimtyler
November 14th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Hi, I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 off a CD, and trying to get it to recognize my Wifi card. I read the help section on the subject, and it tells me to click on the "Network Manager Icon" in the "System Notification Area". I searched all the menus, and everywhere else I could think of for the System Notification area, but couldn't find it. Could somebody please tell me where this is located? Thank you much.

jim

coldReactive
November 14th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Give us the output of lspci from terminal.

steveneddy
November 14th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Here - look at pic

donroher
November 14th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Hi, I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 off a CD, and trying to get it to recognize my Wifi card. I read the help section on the subject, and it tells me to click on the "Network Manager Icon" in the "System Notification Area". I searched all the menus, and everywhere else I could think of for the System Notification area, but couldn't find it. Could somebody please tell me where this is located? Thank you much.

jim

I am having the same problem with a seria 881 usb date card...

sandyd
November 14th, 2009, 10:19 PM

jim

its located on the top right corner of your screen(on the panel)

cariboo
November 14th, 2009, 10:21 PM
As much as there have been a lot of threads about doing things with a gui instead of the terminal, it is one of the best troubleshooting tools available. To both posters, go to Applications-->Accessories-->Terminal and type:

sudo lshw -C network

You will be asked for your password, enter the password you created when you installed Ubuntu, it will not echo back to you.

The above command will print out a listing of all your network devices, and whether they have been detected and the driver loaded. Paste the output in your next post.

To copy and paste from a terminal, just highlight the text, next click where you want to paste the tesxt and press the wheel on your wheel mouse, if you don't have a wheel mouse press both buttons at once.

jimtyler
November 14th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Cariboo907 says to type in my password that I created when I installed Ubuntu. I haven't installed it yet. I'm just booting off the CD. Do I need to install it for it to recognize my Wifi device? If I install it, how much disk space will it take? I've already got a 512MB partition for Puppy, which I'm not using anymore. Will it automatically use that partition? It will probably need to be made bigger, I would think. I don't want my Windows partition disturbed. Thanks ---- jim

jimtyler
November 14th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Does anybody know if I can use the Internet when booted on a CD?

JREAM
November 15th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Does anybody know if I can use the Internet when booted on a CD?

Yes you should be able to.

jimtyler
November 15th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Now when I try to boot Ubuntu off of the CD I get several pages of errors, including many saying "Can't open page", or words to that effect. Does anybody have any ideas on why it will no longer boot on the CD? Thanks.

jimtyler
November 16th, 2009, 10:18 PM
OK. I burned another CD, which seems to working OK so far. But, I'm still having problems getting Ubuntu to recognize my wifi card. I went to termilal and typed in: sudo lshw -c network, and got this result:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo lshw -c network
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: RT2760 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R Cardbus
vendor: RaLink
physical id: 1
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: ra0
version: 00
serial: 00:1c:df:8e:1e:9e
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rt2860 latency=64 maxlatency=4 mingnt=2 multicast=yes wireless=RT2860 Wireless
resources: irq:11 memory:24000000-2400ffff

Can anybody tell me what to do next? Thank you much.