PDA

View Full Version : We may catch fire.

dragos240
November 14th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Has anyone seen some flames towards ubuntu lately? In many videos of ubuntu, and in other comment sections, there have been some flaming towards ubuntu, saying it makes people who know nothing about Linux think they are geniuses. I've seen this all over the place. What do you think.

kio_http
November 14th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Think its just an excuse for their incapability

Mike'sHardLinux
November 14th, 2009, 09:38 PM
meh. It's just an operating system.

Regenweald
November 14th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I really think I'm deeply hurt. I don't think I'll sleep well till they stop ;)

Tipped OuT
November 14th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Has anyone seen some flames towards ubuntu lately? In many videos of ubuntu, and in other comment sections, there have been some flaming towards ubuntu, saying it makes people who know nothing about Linux think they are geniuses. I've seen this all over the place. What do you think.

Meh, those are just the "hardcore" geeks that perter the command line to a GUI.

ZankerH
November 14th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I cry myself to sleep every day, weeping for the days back when ubuntu worked even for people with incompatible hardware who can't be bothered to paste the commands they're told to.

oh wait...

CharmyBee
November 14th, 2009, 09:46 PM
+1
It's not a way of life. If someone doesn't like Ubuntu, then who cares really? The world continues to turn and time moves forward.

p.s. I don't like Ubuntu either, so get your pitchforks ready.

Tipped OuT
November 14th, 2009, 09:49 PM

+1
It's not a way of life. If someone doesn't like Ubuntu, then who cares really? The world continues to turn and time moves forward.

You're missing the point of the thread. He's just asking how you feel about it because it seems like Ubuntu has been getting bashed a lot lately.

No reason we can't have a discussion about it.

ZankerH
November 14th, 2009, 09:51 PM
+1

p.s. I don't like Ubuntu either, so get your pitchforks ready.

Ubuntu may not be a way of life, but Free Software is. And, like it or not, due to it's popularity, Ubuntu is seen as the prime example of Free Software by the outside world - which is kind of ironic by itself, given all the non-Free software included in ubuntu, but there you have it. This is why I always inform people of Ubuntu's (lack of) relationship with the Free Software Movement when they complain about its shortcomings.

oldsoundguy
November 14th, 2009, 09:52 PM
What a lot of the geeks with the "we don't want THOSE people playing in our sandbox" attitude just can't stand is that THOSE people are standing around their sandbox.
Ubuntu has that nice layer over the system (including some programs that run off of GUI) that are not liked by Geekdom!
What the clowns do not realize is it is JUST A LAYER. You STILL can use terminal and you still can tweak the system and still experiment to your heart's content.
AND IN SOME CASES, if you want some functionality that is of limited interest to the average person that has migrated from Windows, you STILL have to use terminal (thus, have to eventually learn how ... first by cut/paste.)
(why terminal scares is beyond me .. since Windows has the CMD window.. which has the same basic function!)

Remember, one sits up, then crawls, then stands, then walks and THEN runs.
Getting people INTO computers is the "sit up portion" of development. Into "changing things" is the "crawl". Moving to open source is the "standing". REALLY delving into and tweaking that open source is the "walking". And the "running"? Yep, programming.

I say, the more, the merrier as it will only IMPROVE on the system eventually!

Chronon
November 14th, 2009, 09:58 PM
So you're saying it's pure elitism.

tjwoosta
November 14th, 2009, 10:01 PM

well..

Being a long time linux user of various distros, I'm inclined to agree.

Its extremely easy to use ubuntu compared to many other distros. I can think of a bunch of people who think they are linux experts because they use ubuntu, but if you were stick them with a distro such as slackware or gentoo they would be completely lost. I cant say the same is true for a gentoo or slackware user who comes to ubuntu.

Im not saying anything bad about ubuntu, or its users, only that using ubuntu in no way makes someone a linux genius, far from it.

Mornedhel
November 14th, 2009, 10:29 PM
well..

Its extremely easy to use ubuntu compared to many other distros. I can think of a bunch of people who think they are linux experts because they use ubuntu, but if you were stick them with a distro such as slackware or gentoo they would be completely lost. I cant say the same is true for a gentoo or slackware user who comes to ubuntu.

Im not saying anything bad about ubuntu, or its users, only that using ubuntu in no way makes someone a linux genius, far from it.

Yep, this.

Ubuntu is like the Eternal September of the Linux world.

The Funkbomb
November 14th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I was a genius long before I found Ubuntu so it doesn't matter to me.

hoppipolla
November 14th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I think it was largely inevitable. Inevitable and, IMO, ignorant..

pwnst*r
November 14th, 2009, 10:59 PM
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/c.slocombe/house_01.png

phrostbyte
November 14th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Just ignore the trolls and maybe they will go away. [-o<

misfitpierce
November 14th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I think I don't care if thats what they think... Use what you like and I want it to get simple so more people will use it and support opensource software and free OS's instead of crappy windows and mac. It is good and I hope more will use it seeing that its easy and so on. Forget what they say! Use what you like and what works best and easiest for you!

Naiki Muliaina
November 14th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I cant say the same is true for a gentoo or slackware user who comes to ubuntu.

See, i found Gentoo just taught me to repeatedly paste the same lines into terminal.... Gentoo taught me very little compared to what Ubuntu/Mandriva did.

*shrugs*

I guess i just feel Gentoo dont deserve the 'elite' status it has....

dragos240
November 14th, 2009, 11:23 PM
well..

Well. I have to say a few things too.

I do agree. But using ubuntu for about a year really helped me get into using terminal commands. Now I'm using gentoo and arch. If I started on gentoo, I would be completely lost. Ubuntu IMHO is a great tool on the path towards linux mastery!

dragos240
November 14th, 2009, 11:23 PM

lulz

koenn
November 14th, 2009, 11:46 PM
well..

I'm inclined to agree with this - I've probably seen one to many post by some nitwit who's only chance at running linux is have everything work out of the box, and the first thing he does with his newly installed system is come here to call people "sheep" for using Windows, or something along those lines.

On the other hand, one shouldn't judge all ubuntu users by the behaviour of some, and one can hardly blame Ubuntu itself for the behaviour of some of its users.

Nixie Pixel
November 15th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I don't see the point of bashing a user of any distribution for any reason. If people want to claim that they are superior because they know more, whether that be because of the distro they run or any other reason, it only harms the community, not helps it.

No one is "better" or "elite" because they run Linux rather than Windows, or one distro rather than another. These are terms that distance the community when people should be welcoming new users with open arms.

hoppipolla
November 15th, 2009, 01:28 AM

lol that may be the best picture of him I have ever seen! :)

Exodist
November 15th, 2009, 01:43 AM

I didnt need to see any videos to figure out Ubuntu makes idiots "think" they are smart!.. LMAO.. :D

EDIT:

I better clarify the above statement before I upset some of very smart people around here that I like to call friends.
Most people here are very educated and clearly smart enough or they wouldnt be trying Linux out period.. But we always got that 1 guy running around like ever forum and distro has. /rolleyes

CharlesA
November 15th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Doesn't Gentoo require you to compile everything from source? Not my thing. I'll stick with Ubuntu for the time being, since it fits my needs. :-)

Frak
November 15th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Doesn't Gentoo require you to compile everything from source? Not my thing. I'll stick with Ubuntu for the time being, since it fits my needs. :-)
Not everything, just most things. Big applications are available as prebuilt binaries.

Naiki Muliaina
November 15th, 2009, 02:46 AM

Gentoo requires you to use the same handfull of lines in terminal over and over and over. Its a good distro, and is the daddy for optimizing your Linux (along with Arc of course but Gentoo was there first ^^). Compiling everything from source though.. It really is simple.

Think of it like this, you know a handful of apt-get commands right? Apt-get install, apt-get remove, apt-get purge. Whenever you use them lines they are always the same. Apt-get purge isnt going to change useage overnight, and once you have used them a couple of times you know them off by heart.

In Gentoo its a similar thing. Just different commands. I also found using Gentoo taught me the Gentoo way of doing things. I haven't really used Gentoo knowledge elsewhere in the Linux world. Ubuntu, Mint, SuSe, Mandriva, how often do you need to go into terminal now when you just use your PC as a PC? *shrugs* I barely touch terminal anymore...

Muah... Rantyness... Pardon me... Just get miffed when Gentoos given a elite technical status when its really simple...

Frak
November 15th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Muah... Rantyness... Pardon me... Just get miffed when Gentoos given a elite technical status when its really simple...

There are users to start using Ubuntu that have no idea what x86, amd64, IA64, and PowerPC mean.

Muppeteer
November 15th, 2009, 03:23 AM
I started on Ubuntu 3 years ago and used it off and on. Ditched it about a year and a half ago and installed Arch. I gotta admit, the jump from Windows > Ubuntu was easier than the jump from Ubuntu > Arch. I agree with the general opinion that Ubuntu is a good base distro for anybody wanting to learn more about linux. But i also think you'll only learn so much from using Ubuntu.

And the same can be said for Arch, hence why i'm going to dabble in Gentoo next. Not for any egotistical reasons, but only so i can hopefully expand my knowledge and use it in working life. It's kinda pointless bashing other distro's, since we all want the same thing. And fighting amongst ourselves isn't going to help achieving the goal of mainstream linux.

Though it is common knowledge that distro's such as Ubuntu/Mint/Suse etc are much easier for non-experienced linux users. People who take pride in using Gentoo or whatever, clearly have issues they need to work on. Same can be said for the people who become 'linux pro's' after 2 weeks of using Ubuntu. :D

sudoer541
November 15th, 2009, 11:20 PM
how I feel? I rarly boot into ubuntu now. even open source software work better under windows and they always suck on ubuntu. the only disappointing thing on windows I have to use common sense to prevent my pc getting inflected with viruses. For those who are wondering what software I am talking about well here is the list:

Firefox: slow/lags on youtube almost unusable! and cant select text when double clicking it (Shame!!!)
gimp: slow and crashes
audacity: very slow and crashes almost unusable!
open office: slow and dictionary does not work for Canadian English
VLC: Minor annoyances

ohh and the other complaint is the screen resolutiuon I cant go higher than ~1152X 756~

sorry I had to vent!

tjwoosta
November 15th, 2009, 11:51 PM
how I feel? I rarly boot into ubuntu now. even open source software work better under windows and they always suck on ubuntu. the only disappointing thing on windows I have to use common sense to prevent my pc getting inflected with viruses. For those who are wondering what software I am talking about well here is the list:

Firefox: slow/lags on youtube almost unusable! and cant select text when double clicking it (Shame!!!)

ohh and the other complaint is the screen resolutiuon I cant go higher than ~1152X 756~

sorry I had to vent!

I can understand your discontent and decision to use windows instead, but these sort of problems really are very rare. Its just my guess, but your problems are probably mostly graphics hardware related. With linux we often rely on the work of volunteers to get drivers working properly, whereas windows has drivers supplied by the hardware manufacturers. The only way to get hardware manufacturers to supply linux drivers, would be to increase demand.

MisfitI38
November 17th, 2009, 04:22 PM

sorry I had to vent!

You needn't apologize for venting. Just use what works.
Each of us must adapt our computing habits to the OS we are using..whether we choose to realize or admit it or not.
With Windows, as you mentioned, we must be on guard a bit more. With GNU and Linux, we must be willing to accept the fact that Flash and other Windows-no-brainers like suspend and hibernate will not always work how we would like them, especially 'ootb'.
I have a machine on which neither Ubuntu nor PCLinuxOS will even boot, yet another distro works fine. The Linux kernel is certainly a work in progress, sometimes giving it that 'beta software' feel on certain machines and hardware.

starcannon
November 17th, 2009, 04:27 PM
It's as perennial as the spring. The anti-revolutionaries, the 1337, its the goth kids from southpark. What will they do now that Linux has become somewhat mainstream, no longer an exclusive club; so they group up, start sites like linsux, and post videos at YouTube.

Best thing to do is ignore them, that hits them where they live.

Grenage
November 17th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I'll never understand why someone could dislike Ubuntu; it has a wonderfully large user base, a GUI that allows a newcomer to pick up and go (whist still being concise enough for familiar tasks) AND you can do as much 'under the hood' work as you like.

Sure there may well be other distros that you prefer, but anyone who spouts tosh like "linux for noobs" is either child, or a very sad individual. Linux uptake is so reliant on projects like Ubuntu.

Frak
November 17th, 2009, 04:41 PM
What will they do now that Linux has become somewhat mainstream

http://grab.by/CyI
http://i36.tinypic.com/cubnm.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/mu741u.jpg

That is all.

RiceMonster
November 17th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I probably won't be using Ubuntu again in the foreseeable future (I personally don't like it), but it was a good place for me to get comfortable with Linux (I used 7.10, then 8.04), mainly because it had everything already installed and it was easy to find help.

But regardless, I'm losing interest in the DIY distros. I use Arch on my main box, but it's only because of split KDE packages, and rolling release. Pacman/abs/aur are nice, but I'd be fine with yum. I'd probably have switched to OpenSuSE or Fedora on that computer if it was not for those things. I've used slackware too, which was cool. I've never used Gentoo, because I don't have the patience to do that much compiling.

Honestly, I feel like it's cool to go down that route and you can certainly learn a number of things, but once you've done it, you know how to do it and don't care anymore. From this point of view, I can see why Ubuntu is appealing to more than just beginners. Maybe I'll gain the interest of a DIY distro again in the future, though.

starcannon
November 17th, 2009, 04:49 PM
http://grab.by/CyI
http://i36.tinypic.com/cubnm.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/mu741u.jpg

That is all.

No, that is not all.
I do not believe that statistical data is the definition of "somewhat mainstream"; I believe that non-geeks being able to install, run, and be productive is what makes it "somewhat mainstream"(indeed this is what the 1337 kids are so pissy about). Further I don't buy into statistics, my grandmother taught me that there are "liars, damn liars, and statistics"; I think she is right.

Frak
November 17th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I probably won't be using Ubuntu again in the foreseeable future (I personally don't like it), but it was a good place for me to get comfortable with Linux (I used 7.10, then 8.04), mainly because it had everything already installed and it was easy to find help.

But regardless, I'm losing interest in the DIY distros. I use Arch on my main box, but it's only because of split KDE packages, and rolling release. Pacman/abs/aur are nice, but I'd be fine with yum. I'd probably have switched to OpenSuSE or Fedora on that computer if it was not for those things. I've used slackware too, which was cool. I've never used Gentoo, because I don't have the patience to do that much compiling.

Honestly, I feel like it's cool to go down that route and you can certainly learn a number of things, but once you've done it, you know how to do it and don't care anymore. From this point of view, I can see why Ubuntu is appealing to more than just beginners. Maybe I'll gain the interest of a DIY distro again in the future, though.
You mean, you don't want to stick with the mainstream? What a pariah... :rolleyes:

Mornedhel
November 17th, 2009, 04:52 PM
No, that is not all.
I do not believe that statistical data is the definition of "somewhat mainstream"; I believe that non-geeks being able to install, run, and be productive is what makes it "somewhat mainstream". Further I don't buy into statistics, my grandmother taught me that there are "liars, damn liars, and statistics"; I think she is right.

I believe that non-geeks labeling you (correctly or not) a geek as soon as you say you use Linux is what makes it "somewhat not mainstream".

I've had people call me a "geek who loves command-line" just by identifying my operating system as Linux, never mind that there was no terminal open at the time.

(I am a geek who loves the terminal, but that's besides the point.)

starcannon
November 17th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I believe that non-geeks labeling you (correctly or not) a geek as soon as you say you use Linux is what makes it "somewhat not mainstream".
I believe that there are a lot of people looking for pointless arguments over semantics, instead of following the benefit of doubt rule; I believe I have expressed myself in an understandable manner, if you really need it spelled out pm me, otherwise I'll just assume that further explanation of my views would be thrown on blind eyes.

Frak
November 17th, 2009, 04:59 PM
At first I serious'd

Then I lol'd

RiceMonster
November 17th, 2009, 05:01 PM
You mean, you don't want to stick with the mainstream? What a pariah... :rolleyes:

I'm not going anywhere near those conformists

http://www.blingdomofgod.com/entryimages/southpark_805_bling2.jpg