PDA

View Full Version : [kde] Desktop Sphere/Cylinder effect in KDE4

Melcar
November 14th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't get either the desktop sphere or the cylinder to work in KDE4. Only the cube works. I already set costume keybindings to the effects but nothing happens. Tried both disabling the keybindings for the regular cube as well as leaving them on along with the new key strokes for the other effects. Still nothing. Do they even work? An issue with the ATI drivers perhaps.
I have yet to get a clear answer on this. Last thing I read was because of a missing OpenGL extension in some drivers, but that was referring to the open source drivers (openGL1.3-1.5). Fglrx is OpenGL2.1 (the version I have is actually OpenGL3.1) but it still doesn't work. Does anyone have those particular effects working?

tenmilez
November 16th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I am using gnome and am unable to get it to work as well.

Melcar
November 16th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Maybe I should specify that this is with Kwin effect and not Compiz. With Compiz simply install the compiz settings manager to be able to easily change plugin settings. I can get the sphere/cylinder effect working on Compiz by the way, so either the effect is broken in KDE4 or it requires some additional functionality than the Compiz effect.