PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] LAN port speed?

Tsquad
November 14th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Hello, i just got done making my old gateway a home server with 9.10. This gateway is an old pentium 4, so i doubt it has a very fast lan port. But the rest of the computers on my network have GB lan ports. This is a file server at the moment at home but i plan to make it an ftp server in the future. Will i see faster upload and download speeds if i put a gb lan port in it? Does anyone know? Thanks.

driftertx
November 14th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Many factors affect your transfer speeds, harddrive speed, bus speed, nic speed, and your router. Just because a router says you get connected at 1Gbit does not mean you'll get 1Gbit worth of throughput. With that said, you'll find that because Ubuntu doesn't have the overhead of an operating system like Windows that and old server works just fine as a server. You may see faster speeds and for 10-15bux it's worth trying.

Tsquad
November 14th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Many factors affect your transfer speeds, harddrive speed, bus speed, nic speed, and your router. Just because a router says you get connected at 1Gbit does not mean you'll get 1Gbit worth of throughput. With that said, you'll find that because Ubuntu doesn't have the overhead of an operating system like Windows that and old server works just fine as a server. You may see faster speeds and for 10-15bux it's worth trying.

So what are you saying is worth trying? buying an old server? and i doubt i could get one for 10-15 bucks if so. Please clarify.

driftertx
November 14th, 2009, 10:22 PM
i said it's worth trying to get a gigabit NIC and you might get faster throughput speeds but dont count on it. You can pick up a generic one for 10-15$

Tsquad
November 14th, 2009, 10:47 PM
i said it's worth trying to get a gigabit NIC and you might get faster throughput speeds but dont count on it. You can pick up a generic one for 10-15$

O ok, ill probably try that, i have one around my house somewere. Thanks.