PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How reliable is a Live CD/USB test compared to a real install?

Pott
November 14th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Well of course after reading about the sound issues on Karmic, I'm a bit weary about installing it without running some tests first.

If everything works out ok on the live CD, how much of a guarantee is it that it'd work just the same when installed for real?

It may seem like a stupid question... but I had this experience running eeeBuntu on my Acer A1. Live, everything worked just fine but I had a few issues when installed. I went back to Linpus and now, Kuki on it.

And yes I posted this thread in TWO wrong forums before... not my day.

dhavalbbhatt
November 14th, 2009, 08:46 PM
A LiveCD is really close to what you will get after a true install, in terms of how the OS will work with your hardware. If you are worried about sound, then a LiveCD will be a good test of whether your sound card is supported by Ubuntu.

darkod
November 14th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I'm newbie too but I would say it's an exact copy. :)
The live CD was rebooting my PC just before the login screen shows, and after install the installation was doing the same. :) It was up to the video driver which I sorted out and it's working OK now.

ajgreeny
November 14th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Very, very occasionally there have been threads in the forum about a machine which works well with the live CD, but which then has a problem of some sort with a hard disk install, but they are not normal, and usually can be sorted quite easily with some minor configuration change. I don't reacall seeing one for the last couple of years either, so perhaps live CDs are even more reliable now than they were previously as a test for an install.

If the live CD works well, go for it and install!