PDA

View Full Version : Why did everyone diss Ekiga?

blueturtl
November 14th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Many of the reviews I read about Ubuntu including some user posts here on the forums always dissed Ubuntu for including Ekiga in it's default lineup.
"The soft phone that nobody uses" I think it was called.

Now my parents bought a web cam (in hopes of getting to see their grand daughter more often) and I had to start looking at a good cross-platform video phone software options.

One that immediately came to mind was Skype, but it has only had video support for a while now. I was also interested in using an open standard instead of another closed solution, so I started looking at what open-source alternatives were available.

Ekiga and SIP popped up among the first searches, so I started looking at them a little closer. So far it seems like a really nice and mature solution (there is even a Windows version!). I've registered a SIP account and called the test number and everything seems to work peachy, including my web cam.

Why is Ekiga so unpopular?

Is it just because most people use stuff like Windows Live/Yahoo/Skype?

juancarlospaco
November 14th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Because i migrated to Empathy that have built-in SIP support with SofiaSIP.
...and Shared Desktop ...and Videoconference ...and Geolocation ...and multiprotocol ...and such
:)

blueturtl
November 14th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Because i migrated to Empathy that have built-in SIP support with SofiaSIP.
...and Shared Desktop ...and Videoconference ...and Geolocation ...and multiprotocol ...and such
:)

Does Empathy do video?

juancarlospaco
November 14th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Yes master...
and Desktop sharing just in case

blueturtl
November 14th, 2009, 09:25 PM
So Empathy is essentially a multipurpose client, whereas Ekiga is just a dedicated sip VOIP client?

joey-elijah
November 14th, 2009, 10:00 PM
It wasn't Ekiga's fault it wasn't liked. It has an awful interface, no-one used it (which rendered it useless unless you knew someone, hell, anyone on window who used netmeeting or found one of the rare breed of humans who hadn't apt-get purge'd Ekiga from their systems day one.)

I think the reason for it's relative failure (and don't get me wrong it's a bloody good application for what it does) was the interface - it wasn't "grandparent" friendly enough. There was no "call" button, no easy way to add people or find people to chat to and, at the end of the day, it was a pointless addition when Empathy could do SIP and VOIP AND IM, MSN Cam, etc

Hell it wasn't even d0od friendly.

hoppipolla
November 14th, 2009, 10:56 PM
It's probably because most people do use Skype... myself included, as the phone I got comes with Skype built into it. Skype's just a more supported piece of software I think, but I doubt there's actually anything particularly WRONG with Ekiga...

svaens
November 15th, 2009, 06:40 AM
I use skype because (now) it is relatively stable (since the new 2.1 beta)
and its user interface is nice and simple (linux version better than current windows version in my opinion).

I would have been using Ekiga as well, for SIP call in.... as i've a couple registered sip accounts with sipgate. However, ever since the version included in jaunty, it doesnt' seem to be able to sign in these two accounts at the same time.
In Hardy it was no problem. And since I have a sipgate account with associated german number, and british number, at the time, people could call me on my computer by calling either of these numbers. Not being able to sign in both was a regression which made it not worth even starting up to me. That, and along with some very annoying bugs.... and a not so nice interface.....

I'm still on jaunty, and have not yet tried empathy. But i have heard empathy is not yet up to the task either. I hope we have a viable solution by 10.4

It would be nice to have a real alternative to skype

-grubby
November 15th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Because people actually use Skype.

blueturtl
November 15th, 2009, 01:52 PM
So it's essentially a case of "Ekiga doesn't look as nice as Skype which was there first".

We had our first video call last night. It worked fine once we got the connection established, but apparently my parents' firewall is causing some trouble on their end.

Does anyone know of a way to adjust the size (or resolution) of the video sent? Or is it dictated by SIP or other relevant standards?

I ask because while my web cam is crummy, my parents have a good quality cam that should be able to send video larger than a stamp.

hanzomon4
November 15th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Yes master...
and Desktop sharing just in case

I don't think so, It never has the option to video call my google talk contacts and I don't see anything about sip in my protocols list.

martijntje
November 17th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I don't like the Ekiga interface either, but at least it works. Empathy is rather useless when it comes to SIP. It registers, but it fails to make calls. If I make a call to it, it will tell me there is an incoming call, but when I accept it, it will hang at 'connecting'. If I dial out, it will also hang at connecting and the other side will not even notice any call coming in.

There are bugreports for this out there dating some time back, but no fix has been released as of yet.

koleoptero
November 17th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I always left it installed just in case. I didn't use any ligraries other programs didn't also require (at least not many) so there was no point in removing it. But I never got the chance to actually use it, so I've not installed it in karmic either.

But I absolutely purged empathy, I didn't like it.