PDA

View Full Version : Finally migrating completely to Linux

Kopachris
November 14th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I've decided that I'm finally going to migrate my PowerBook G4 and my desktop completely over to Linux. :) I'm planning on installing Arch on the PowerBook because it has better PPC documentation than Ubuntu Server, and because I really only need it to share its internet connection with my desktop.

As of right now, I've moved my music library over to the desktop (Ubuntu Karmic, btw) and am now converting it all to ogg. I'm also doing a full backup of the PowerBook in case things don't work out. By the way, I've gone into the OpenFirmware to make my external USB HD bootable on the PowerBook, too. :p

I'll keep regular updates on my progress here and on my blog (http://ultimateretaliation.blogspot.com) in case anyone's actually interested.

Naiki Muliaina
November 14th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Well done dude ^^

headbuster
November 14th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Nice! I will follow your blog :)

Tipped OuT
November 14th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Back ups. Very important. You may have a change of heart later and want to go back to Windows.

koleoptero
November 14th, 2009, 09:28 PM
The only bad idea is the ogg conversion. You'll only lose audio quality.

ZankerH
November 14th, 2009, 09:43 PM
The only bad idea is the ogg conversion. You'll only lose audio quality.

Which is entirely indiscernible unless you happen to be a bat listening to a €5000 speaker system in a studio room. Besides, if you wanted to maintain the theoretical quality, you could always just save it as flac. There is no excuse at all to keep restrictive and proprietary mp3 files on a Free OS that fully supports Free audio formats out of the box.

Tipped OuT
November 14th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Which is entirely indiscernible unless you happen to be a bat listening to a €5000 speaker system in a studio room..

Or some cheap 10$ ear buds.

Naiki Muliaina
November 14th, 2009, 10:21 PM
There is no excuse at all to keep restrictive and proprietary mp3 files on a Free OS that fully supports Free audio formats out of the box.

Yes there is ^^ I would like to be able to play my songs on anything. When i tried going flac / ogg i couldnt play my music on everything ^^ I will stick with mp3 thankyou! Hehe

ZankerH
November 14th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Yes there is ^^ I would like to be able to play my songs on anything. When i tried going flac / ogg i couldnt play my music on everything ^^ I will stick with mp3 thankyou! Hehe

This will obviously vary, but since I've been trying to switch as exclusively as possible to Free Software a few years ago, I've gotten a phone, a portable audio player and a car that all play flac and ogg out of the box, on the schedule I would regularly replace those items on. You may not be able to migrate to Free formats today, but over a period of time, it's not impossible, and in fact beneficial, as it allows you to keep up with the technological progress while maintaining your Software Freedom.

mivo
November 14th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Ah, come on, as a True Linux user, you should only buy music players (portable, car, stationary) that support OGG! It is perfectly fine to buy proprietary hardware, but don't succumb to the evil MP3 format that restricts your audiophile freedom. ;)

Tipped OuT
November 14th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Ah, come on, as a True Linux user, you should only buy music players (portable, car, stationary) that support OGG! It is perfectly fine to buy proprietary hardware, but don't succumb to the evil MP3 format that restricts your audiophile freedom. ;)

So what am I suppose to do with my iPod, PSP, iPhone, MP3 player and Chocolate cell phone?

Throw them away and spend more money buying new devices that support open source formats? Yeah, right.

ZankerH
November 14th, 2009, 10:30 PM

It's a matter of available alternatives. Is there a Free alternative to the restrictive proprietary mp3 format that I can use with minimal effort? Yes. Is there a Free car (mobile phone, audio player)? No. If there were, would I be able to construct it from the Free specifications using less money and effort than it takes to buy one? Not likely.

And I should note that I take offence at being called a "Linux user". My OS of choice is GNU/Linux.

ZankerH
November 14th, 2009, 10:33 PM
So what am I suppose to do with my iPod, PSP, iPhone, MP3 player and Chocolate cell phone?

Throw them away and spend more money buying new devices that support open source formats? Yeah, right.

If you were a Free Software enthusiast when you bought them, then the fault is entirely your own. Fool me once...

Otherwise, even if you're not literally "throwing away" your stuff, it's always a good idea to support companies that sell products with support for Free Software. If you have too much money, voting with your wallet in this manner is the least you can do to help the cause of Free Software.

Tipped OuT
November 14th, 2009, 10:36 PM
If you were a Free Software enthusiast when you bought them, then the fault is entirely your own. Fool me once...

Otherwise, even if you're not literally "throwing away" your stuff, it's always a good idea to support companies that sell products with support for Free Software. If you have too much money, voting with your wallet in this manner is the least you can do to help the cause of Free Software.

I'm not a Free Software enthusiast, and nor will I ever be. That would be a waste of my life. Software is software, use whatever works best for you.

In this case, MP3 works best for me.

Naiki Muliaina
November 14th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Eh... Ill use what works for me tbh... Wether somethings open source or not doesn't really bother me. I choose the toys i like to play with as it were. On Linux, i can do everything i want / need. The only big problem ive had with Karmic was simply burning the disc to fast. Sound problems in Second Life, but SL ain't the best coded bit of software, and i am using 32 bit apps on 64 bit OS's so i am kinda expectin issues. If i lost SL altogether i would switch distro's, or find my way to another OS entirely. If it wasnt open source, it wouldn't bother me as long as it worked.

So yeah, unless i actually have a reason to change from MP3 beyond being able to use it on a device i dont have, MP3 is what i stick with ^^

mivo
November 14th, 2009, 10:39 PM
And I should note that I take offence at being called a "Linux user". My OS of choice is GNU/Linux.

Aw, I am so sorry that calling you a Linux user offended you, dear GNU/Linux(TM) user. You should reconsider using this forum, as it runs with proprietary software, and there are alternatives. Doesn't run Stallman a forum? If he does, you would probably greatly enjoy your stay there.

Kopachris
November 14th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Back ups. Very important. You may have a change of heart later and want to go back to Windows.
Umm... PPC Mac? :p But yes, I'm keeping a bootable backup of my current Mac installation in case something goes horribly awry with Arch's setup to the point where I can't fix it.

As for the whole Ogg Vorbis debate, I tried it on a few mp3's and have noticed no difference in audio quality. Also, my Sansa runs Rockbox, which has no problem playing ogg files. :) I'm a free software enthusiast, but not a zealot. I prefer to use open standards and software where it suits me, but I have no problem using closed software when it's more convenient—I still use Flash and will likely still use MS Office formats because everyone I know uses Office and Office's ODF "support" is worthless. Just my two cents, for what it matters.

Kopachris
November 15th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I've got the installation CD in my drive, the B43 firmware on my flash drive, and all the pages I need open in Firefox. Here goes nothing!

BTW, the ogg files are working just fine and I reconstructed my playlists in Rhythmbox.

UPDATE: Plugged the PowerBook into the router to get internet to install from. fwcutter installed the firmware just fine, and wlan0 can get a dhcp lease from the router, but can't ping anything or be pinged. I have the PowerBook booted into the OS X installation on the external HD and will try again next weekend, after some more research.

Kopachris
November 20th, 2009, 01:43 AM
I accidentally neglected to read the "...in this order..." part of the rc.conf, so my wireless is working fine now. :p I'll set up internet sharing after dinner, then I'll be able to continue my migration. :D