PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do you keep track of all these addons?

JREAM
November 14th, 2009, 07:32 PM
You guys I've gone through so many add-ons, like
"sudo apt-get install nautilus-gksu nautilus-open-terminal"

okay, I don't know how Im going to remember all these if I ever need to reinstall.
Is there some way to keep track of this, or should I write a list of commands Im doing?

LOL because there are a lot of things that are just hard to keep track of,
if you ever have to reinstall Linux how do you know all the settings and stuff you used?

jbrown96
November 14th, 2009, 07:37 PM
If you backup your home folder that will save all of the application settings, which is really nice. I believe there is something called apt-on-cd that you can use to backup your packages. There is also a way to export a list of packages, then you can run an apt command to install them. Unfortunately, I don't have specifics on what to do. Try searching for apt-on-cd and that should help you find some resources.

falconindy
November 14th, 2009, 07:42 PM
You can run "dpkg --get-selections > dpkg.list" which will create a text file with a list of your installed programs. After a reinstall, "sudo dpkg --set-selections < dpkg.list" will restore this list.

jbrown96
November 14th, 2009, 07:46 PM
You can run "dpkg --get-selections > dpkg.list" which will create a text file with a list of your installed programs. After a reinstall, "sudo dpkg --set-selections < dpkg.list" will restore this list.

This.

JREAM
November 14th, 2009, 08:02 PM
AWESOME Thanks!! I bookmarked this for later :)