PDA

View Full Version : Distro for 124mb ram computer i486 possibly i586.

dragos240
November 14th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I got an old laptop. The battery is 100% DEAD, and the adapter is really flaky. One millimeter out of place and it shuts off. However. I managed to install damn small linux on it. I just don't like DSL, I don't mind the graphics. It is just missing so much. I want something with the 2.6 kernel, that has a stable dhcp client. Something like arch. What would be good?

pwnst*r
November 14th, 2009, 04:33 PM
sounds like a fire waiting to happen.

Grifulkin
November 14th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Tinycore

Sealbhach
November 14th, 2009, 04:41 PM
It is just missing so much. I want something with the 2.6 kernel, that has a stable dhcp client. Something like arch. What would be good?

How much disk space have you got?

dragos240
November 14th, 2009, 04:42 PM
how much disk space have you got?

12gb

Grifulkin
November 14th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Tinycore.

This (http://tinycorelinux.com/)

Warpnow
November 14th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Just do an ubuntu minimal install and install a lightweight WM or XFCE on top. I've ran XFCE on a machine with 64mbs and it ran rather decently.

dragos240
November 14th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Arch seems to work on it. What's the best DE for this.

Greg
November 14th, 2009, 06:55 PM

There's no best DE or WM, but you might want to look at ones like xmonad, dwm, and evilwm.

dragos240
November 14th, 2009, 06:58 PM
There's no best DE or WM, but you might want to look at ones like xmonad, dwm, and evilwm.

I meant what's the best DE or WM for my system. Light but functional.

lykwydchykyn
November 14th, 2009, 07:02 PM

Not that I've done benchmarks, but I've found JWM to be one of the lightest that still sports a panel and menu. What kind of WM do you like?

sigurnjak
November 14th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I did install on 4 gb hd and p2 266 with 96 mb of ram and did ubuntu minimal cli install and then added LXDE . It was quite usable .Sys monitor was showing 100 % cpu usage but only 55 mb of ram used with very little swap used . Afterward it all comes down to your app choices .

dragos240
November 14th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Not that I've done benchmarks, but I've found JWM to be one of the lightest that still sports a panel and menu. What kind of WM do you like?

I usually use GNOME DM.

xuCGC002
November 14th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Try using IceWM.

earthpigg
November 14th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I usually use GNOME DM.

LXDE.

using LXDE, you can still use lots of your familiar gnome stuff with little hassle -- "users-admin" (of ubuntu fame) for one example. "alacarte" (of ubuntu fame) menu editor for another.

and honestly? if you are willing to play around enough, no reason you couldn't get ubuntu running on that thing with LXDE or -pick your wm/de-.

what do you intend to use the computer for?

Warpnow
November 15th, 2009, 03:50 AM
LXDE, IceWM, or XFCE. All have fairly intuitive panels. XFCE is not as lightweight, but not heavy either. It also has much better settings support. Its a fair trade off, I think. As long as you leave compositing off it should work fine.

Grifulkin
November 15th, 2009, 04:00 AM
FVWM2, IceWM, Fluxbox, Openbox, and many more take your pick.

-grubby
November 15th, 2009, 04:03 AM
A 486 with 124 MB of RAM and a 12 GB hard drive? No.

driftertx
November 15th, 2009, 04:11 AM
If you're just wanting a server that runs via command line for file storage. www.freebsd.org Not a user friendly OS for people who dont understand how to use vi and manuals though :)

corsakh
November 15th, 2009, 08:54 AM
You don't need to go nuts with something like dwm, system should be fine to run openbox, fluxbox or fvwm. Try awesome if you like tiled managers.

ps Maybe give Enlightenment a go, but I doubt it.

gn2
November 15th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Antix (http://antix.mepis.org/index.php/Main_Page) might be worth a try.

XubuRoxMySox
November 15th, 2009, 01:48 PM

Openbox with it's right-click menu is very functional and minimal. If you want a DE, LXDE is by far the lightest weight DE out there. But for me it was very buggy. But it qualifies in the lightweight and functional department.

-Robin

longtom
November 15th, 2009, 03:11 PM
A 486 with 124 MB of RAM and a 12 GB hard drive? No.

This. When I was the extremely proud owner of a 486 DX 66 it had a huge hdd of 212MB and I boosted it to 32 Meg Ram (if memory serves me right..)

What kind of 486 is this?

markp1989
November 15th, 2009, 03:16 PM

I would recommend openbox + fbpanel or tint

if you go with openbox, use obmenugen to generate the menus as the default openbox one misses a few programs.

dragos240
November 15th, 2009, 03:47 PM
This. When I was the extremely proud owner of a 486 DX 66 it had a huge hdd of 212MB and I boosted it to 32 Meg Ram (if memory serves me right..)

What kind of 486 is this?

Nvm. It's a i586. That's why I put 486 OR 586.

kk0sse54
November 15th, 2009, 03:55 PM
TinyCore, Slitaz, NetBSD, FreeBSD, (~)Slackware, Crux, hell even a Debian netinstall would probably work. You have plenty of options and there's a lot more than what I just randomly listed here. Personally I'd find a distro that I'm comfortable with use JFS as a filesystem and throw on DWM with some light weight apps.

I got an old laptop. The battery is 100% DEAD, and the adapter is really flaky. One millimeter out of place and it shuts off.

In all honesty though, perhaps you should consider retiring this one

dragos240
November 15th, 2009, 06:27 PM
TinyCore, Slitaz, NetBSD, FreeBSD, (~)Slackware, Crux, hell even a Debian netinstall would probably work. You have plenty of options and there's a lot more than what I just randomly listed here. Personally I'd find a distro that I'm comfortable with use JFS as a filesystem and throw on DWM with some light weight apps.

In all honesty though, perhaps you should consider retiring this one

Well..... We found the problem. Something came loose on the inside. We can fix it...... if we can open it up. Thinkpad disassembly is a pain!

longtom
November 16th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Antix (http://antix.mepis.org/index.php/Main_Page) might be worth a try.

I tried AntiX before. Also I believe it is a nice OS I do not consider it as lightweight as some other, similar distros (TinyCore, Slitaz, Puppy...).

Icehuck
November 16th, 2009, 09:48 AM
You said Arch works on this machine therefore it's at least i686.

megamania
November 16th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Not trying to hijack the thread - I was looking for something similar, but for a PowerPc eMac with 128MB ram.

Anybody knows of a lightweight distro that runs off a live cd (I need to attempt a data recovery with photorec)?

longtom
November 16th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Not trying to hijack the thread - I was looking for something similar, but for a PowerPc eMac with 128MB ram.

Anybody knows of a lightweight distro that runs off a live cd (I need to attempt a data recovery with photorec)?

Pretty much all of them run of a CD. SliTaz and Puppy are the 2 I have used before and both did the trick....

megamania
November 16th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Pretty much all of them run of a CD. SliTaz and Puppy are the 2 I have used before and both did the trick....
Thanks, but I can't see a PowerPc version for those two distros... Am I missing something?

longtom
November 16th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks, but I can't see a PowerPc version for those two distros... Am I missing something?

Ah - sorry - missed that PowerPC bit. However - maybe one or two of those (http://penguinppc.org/about/distributions.php) might do the trick.

dragos240
November 16th, 2009, 12:24 PM
You said Arch works on this machine therefore it's at least i686.

Is the first intel centrino processor an i686?

-grubby
November 16th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Is the first intel centrino processor an i686?

Centrino started in 2003. The first i686 processor was released in 1995. So yes, it is.

t0p
November 16th, 2009, 01:24 PM
OP: I know you were asking about desktop environment and window managers and the like: but I'd like to suggest that you run the machine with no GUI. You can do pretty much anything from the command-line, even watch videos! There are several threads in the forums on how to do stuff from the command-line, Google is, as always, your friend. Your little laptop would be blisteringly fast without a GUI. And it would be a good experience.