View Full Version : [ubuntu] failed to retrieve share list from server

November 14th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I have searched several threads though circumstances of the error seemed different and suggestions in those threads are based on those circumstances and results.

From my netbook running Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop I cannot access my computer running Windows 7x64. However, I have several other systems running either Vista or Ubuntu. All of these systems have shares and my netbook can access them without issue. Those other systems can access the shares on my Windows 7 system

All systems are in the same network
All systems are using static IP
All systems are using hosts file to specify IP/computername
No firewalls are running on any systems

When browsing Network from the places menu, I can see all of my systems, including the Windows 7 system. When I attempt to open that I am asked for user and password. I have the same user/pass on the netbook as I do my Windows 7 system, and also on the other systems, after entering the user/pass I get error
Unable to mount location
Failed to retrieve share list from server

I can ping the system in question
The command smbclient -l <computername> results in the following

Domain=[computername] OS=[Windows 7 Ultimate 7600] Server=[Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
ADMIN$ Disk Remote Admin
C$ Disk Default share
D$ Disk Default share
Downloads Disk
Movies Disk
Users Disk
Z$ Disk Default

However, I can edit /etc/fstab and then run mount -a and access a share
//computername/Downloads /mnt/downloads smbfs credentials=<smbpasswd file path> 0 0

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

November 14th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I presume you've already come across this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1169149) How-To.

November 15th, 2009, 06:40 AM
All of the problems outline in that article do not apply.
As mentioned in my post, all of the systems are in the same workgroup, I have configured my hosts file and the firewalls are turned off. The Linux system that cannot browse the W7 machine, can browse other Windows and Linux systems, and another Linux system can browse the W7 machine.
Configuring fstab to mount a specific share works, browsing with (i believe) Nautilus is the only place affected.

December 12th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I presume you've already come across this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1169149) How-To.

Many thanks for this thread, specifically this bit worked for me:

Open /etc/nsswitch.conf for editing with the following command:

gksudo gedit /etc/nsswitch.conf
Find the line that looks something like:

hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
For this line, order IS important. You’ll need to add the “wins” option before dns, so the line reads like this:

hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] wins dns mdns4

I have no idea why, but my system was working absolutely fine without this entry. Then network browsing disappeared. The only recent changes to my system are regular updates, and I have switched DNS servers in my network manager because my ISPs servers have been extremely intermittent recently.

December 13th, 2009, 10:43 AM
And this being the way the world works, of course fixing one thing breaks another.

After altering the hosts order to get my network discovery functioning again, I get a segmentation fault in liferea. I just reordered them to hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4 wins per this Launchpad bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/liferea/+bug/215016 and have both liferea and network browsing.