PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] WAMP or LAMP

little_john
November 14th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Dear all,
In my office, server is running on Windows 2000 server, most of client running on Ubuntu 8.10, other on XP. Right now, my boss want to develop a web server, include apache, php and mysql. Is server must be changed to Linux or must build a new server ? I am just a beginner, what is the right choice ? if server changed as a web server, how about file sharing, is it still work right before ?
Thanks

davetv
November 14th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Apache, Mysql, php all run fine on Windows 2000 server. Apache on Windows however, is not guaranteed to be secure.

I would suggest going with LAMP, file sharing will work via samba but you may need to learn how to correctly configure it.

Sophont
November 14th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Apache will work on both - but LAMP is practically the standard for web servers - and won't cost you the licence for win2008 - win2000 is being phased out and not really supported anymore.

If the server is just for web server then install Debian or Ubuntu server - you can select LAMP stack during installation. With a bit of googling you can also find many pre-configured LAMP ISOs out there.

If the server is also used for file sharing etc... then have a look at ebox:
http://www.ebox-platform.com/

markjensen
November 14th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Apache, Mysql, php all run fine on Windows 2000 server. Apache on Windows however, is not guaranteed to be secure.
Oh?

Might I ask what platform *is* guaranteed to be secure? I am guessing "none".

There are valid reasons to pick Linux over Windows in a server situation, but please don't throw "guaranteed security" out there as one of those reasons.