PDA

View Full Version : Will you give Google Chrome OS a second try if you don't like it the first time?

HappinessNow
November 14th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Will you give Google Chrome OS a second try if you don't like it the first time?

Exodist
November 14th, 2009, 09:23 AM
NO, Although I havea gmail, youtube, picasa and iGoogle account. I feel google should stay at web software. Getting into the OS market makes me feel uncomfortable with them and gives me the impression they are becomming another monopoly. /sigh

gn2
November 14th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I won't be giving it a first try.

HappinessNow
November 14th, 2009, 09:26 AM
NO, Although I havea gmail, youtube, picasa and iGoogle account. I feel google should stay at web software. Getting into the OS market makes me feel uncomfortable with them and gives me the impression they are becomming another monopoly. /sigh
...but what if you try it and you love it?

HappinessNow
November 14th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I won't be giving it a first try.OT: Is that fiber sculpture art in your avatar by Stephanie Metz?

Reference: http://www.stephaniemetz.com/portfolioTeddyNaturalHistory.html

gn2
November 14th, 2009, 09:30 AM
No it's an album cover, Pink Floyd's Meddle.
It's a human ear under water, rotate it 90 degrees clockwise ;)

Elfy
November 14th, 2009, 09:32 AM
It's a human ear under water, rotate it 90 degrees clockwise ;)

and then listen to it :)

HappinessNow
November 14th, 2009, 09:40 AM
It's a human ear under water, rotate it 90 degrees clockwise ;)Ahhh! I thought it was from Stephanie Metz's Teddy Bear Fetal Development work:

http://www.stephaniemetz.com/TeddyBearFetalDevelopment.html

Paqman
November 14th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Even if it is released next week, it'll probably be a buggy dev version, so it'd be pretty stupid to completely write it off for any flaws it had.

Try it out in a VM if you're curious (assuming it plays nicely with VMs), but give it a few months to shake down before you make up your mind one way or the other.

HappinessNow
November 14th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Even if it is released next week, it'll probably be a buggy dev version, so it'd be pretty stupid to completely write it off for any flaws it had.

Try it out in a VM if you're curious (assuming it plays nicely with VMs), but give it a few months to shake down before you make up your mind one way or the other.It is obviously a longterm development/investment for Google.

sakisds
November 14th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Maybe i will try it in a vm, no way creating more partitions.
Thats why vms are made, for testing.

Exodist
November 14th, 2009, 09:49 AM
...but what if you try it and you love it?
Highly illogical as I am running the operating system I want and have no desire to run any other. /in sarcastic Spock voice.. :D

wojox
November 14th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Second time. When was the first release?

HappinessNow
November 14th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Highly illogical as I am running the operating system I want and have no desire to run any other. /in sarcastic Spock voice.. :D
Quite illogical, indeed. /in sarcastic voice of Spock's father with slightly raised left eyebrow (the kind of look that makes Spock's human side blush). :p

RabbitWho
November 14th, 2009, 10:32 AM

I don't see how it's a monopoly, if they make the best product and people choose to use it then there is nothing wrong with that. So long as one doesn't take aggressive steps to destroy the competition there is nothing wrong with being successful.
The fact is that most ordinary people don't have(or don't know about) a viable available alternative to Windows, (not without paying twice the price for white moulded plastic).

Choice is good!

Exodist
November 14th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Quite illogical, indeed. /in sarcastic voice of Spock's father with slightly raised left eyebrow (the kind of look that makes Spock's human side blush). :p
hehe :-)

UltimatePisman
November 14th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Google Android is a very good OS.
And maybe Google Chrome OS could help the Linux Community building up some market share.
And if I find Google Chrome OS good as well, I'll dualboot into it.

So my answer to the Poll is a yes.

LookTJ
November 14th, 2009, 11:17 AM
And if I find Google Chrome OS good as well, I'll dualboot into it.

So my answer to the Poll is a yes.
I concur

^tw#*!gu
November 14th, 2009, 11:25 AM
yes il give it a try... would have to be dumb not to... all the great stuff on the internet is from google :popcorn:

BenAshton24
November 14th, 2009, 11:37 AM
<offtopic>

Ahhh! I thought it was from Stephanie Metz's Teddy Bear Fetal Development work:

http://www.stephaniemetz.com/TeddyBearFetalDevelopment.html

That stuff is creepy :S </offtopic>

It should be interesting to try Chrome OS. I'm always trying new operating systems and Linux distros etc. so I doubt that I could resist trying it again at some point :P

michaeldt
November 14th, 2009, 12:19 PM

I don't see your reasoning here, how would Google getting in the OS market help make them a monopoly?

Switching search engine's is easy. Switching from Google's apps to something else is also made easy by being able to bulk download all your data and transfer it over. Google doesn't lock you in with proprietary technology. Google OS will be open source.

Having your finger's in many pots doesn't make you a monopoly. Being a monoploly is simply having nearly all the market share. And this is only a bad thing when that market share was achieved my locking people in with proprietary technology and other anti-competitive behaviour.

Having all the market share because your products are the best and people like using them is completely different.

papangul
November 14th, 2009, 12:54 PM
There's no way I am going to not like it the first time I try it!

No wild goose chase after virus & trojans like windows, and no issues like LTS & non-LTS release like ubuntu.

Ubu2009
November 14th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I will give it a try but is is not what some make it to be. I am afraid it will end up just another Linux distro. If that's the case, I'll stick with my Ubuntu :p