PDA

View Full Version : Gnome in karmic has per application volume control .

praveesh
November 14th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I just discovered it now . I have read about it in the future plans in Gnome . Wow, now it became a reality. I think kUbuntu doesn't have this feature . May be in the future , kde will also have this feature

cariboo
November 14th, 2009, 08:20 AM
You do realize it is pulse audio and not Gnome that allows you to set application volume>

SunnyRabbiera
November 14th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Yes its a pulse thing, however I am glad KDE doesnt have something like this as I like my main volume to be the default volume for all apps, not turn up all my apps one by one.
There are only three apps I needed to turn up, smplayer, vlc and songbird.
I like to keep it this way.

kevin11951
November 14th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Yes its a pulse thing, however I am glad KDE doesnt have something like this as I like my main volume to be the default volume for all apps, not turn up all my apps one by one.

no, by default all apps will follow the main control, you can then individually set them, and the settings are forgotten as soon as the audio stream stops.

FuturePilot
November 14th, 2009, 08:54 AM

There still is a master volume control.

perce
November 14th, 2009, 10:56 AM
How does this feature work?

praveesh
November 14th, 2009, 11:23 AM
You do realize it is pulse audio and not Gnome that allows you to set application volume>

Thanks for correcting me . It is possible to set the default audio device as pulse audio in kde , but since kde doesn't have a utility to use it, it is not possible to use the per application volume control in kUbuntu . Am I right ?

3rdalbum
November 14th, 2009, 12:13 PM
no, by default all apps will follow the main control, you can then individually set them, and the settings are forgotten as soon as the audio stream stops.

They are not forgotten, they are remembered per-application. And that's the way I like it :-)