PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] a few problems

sgerdan
November 14th, 2009, 05:29 AM
I just installed the karmic koala and my two problems are

1) wallpapers won't get displayed on gnome, is this a software bug or something?
2) is there any way to disable graphical effects? (they are slowing down my system)

Thanks in advance.

UbuntoJO
November 14th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I just installed the karmic koala and my two problems are

1) wallpapers won't get displayed on gnome, is this a software bug or something?
2) is there any way to disable graphical effects? (they are slowing down my system)

Thanks in advance.

to turn off desktop effects, go to System>Preferences>Appearance>Visual Effects and set it to none.

Wallpaper not displaying? What graphic card do you have and do you have the hardware driver installed for it? That's odd....when you select a wallpaper under background, what happens? What is showing on your desktop....a single color?

sgerdan
November 14th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Sorry,I'm late to answer.

Wallpaper not displaying? What graphic card do you have and do you have the hardware driver installed for it? That's odd....when you select a wallpaper under background, what happens? What is showing on your desktop....a single color?

I have a crappy radeon 9250, and I haven't installed any driver..
Nothing happens when I select a wallpaper, it's always a black background.
Of course it's nothing so important, but it would be nice i could select a wallpaper too.

sgerdan
November 14th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Ok, When I turned off the visual effects, it started to display the wallpaper normally.

jward3010
November 14th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Sorry,I'm late to answer.

I have a crappy radeon 9250, and I haven't installed any driver..
Nothing happens when I select a wallpaper, it's always a black background.
Of course it's nothing so important, but it would be nice i could select a wallpaper too.
I had this problem on certain machines before under Jaunty, it had your symptom plus Nauutilus wouldn't open, when run from terminal I would get an error about memory problems - not sure whether it was lack of memory or what. But gnome-panel worked, just not the actual desktop or nautilus. I'm surprised to hear that switching off compiz did something.