PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Custom gnome-panel location w/ weather?

Perturbed Penguin
November 14th, 2009, 04:49 AM
When you add a location to the 'locations' tab under the gnome-clock is there a way to setup a custom location which includes weather information? I ask because my hometown(actually my old hometown, but same point) does not show up when you search for it. I would really like to add it mostly as a quick-check for weather. I could just use a location nearby but it wouldn't have the exactly correct weather and frankly it wouldn't be home. ;)

Also who would I want to talk to if I wanted to ask for my city to be included in the search list? And just out of curiosity where does this applet get its weather info from?

Thanks in advance!

Perturbed Penguin
December 15th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Ok, let me be more precise, that way maybe I can find some help. Bozeman, MT, USA is a preset location in the gnome-clock applet, you can begin typing it in and it comes up as a preset which has weather data and everything else. This is great but can't we add more locations as presets? For example I would like to see Boulder, CO, USA added as a location preset in the gnome-clock applet and I would like to see it done by the time Lucid comes out because this is something that should be easy to add. I am certain there are many other locations around the world that are missing presets w/ weather data in this applet.

I would love to help out in this regard but I don't have any idea who to even talk to about this, do I talk to the Gnome devs or to the Ubuntu devs or someone else entirely? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated... also if you know of a town/city that doesn't come up when searched for in this applet feel free to let me know on this thread - so long as I can get in contact with someone I will try and add it! Thanks in advance! ;)

Perturbed Penguin
May 8th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Fabulous someone added Boulder, CO as a location for the applet. Thank you to whoever took care of that, even if it wasn't because you read this post!

x-shaney-x
May 8th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Lucky you, they removed my location (Sheffield, United Kingdom) :(

For future reference though. You can google the longitude/latitude codes for your location and enter them manually. It's how I did it this time around.

rezakhs
May 24th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Sheffield is the 5th largest city in the UK. It must not be a city that needs being added manually. And for a end-user, Leeds is NOT Sheffield (even if they use the same forecast station).

hok00age
May 25th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Visit:
http://www.getlatlon.com/

Perturbed Penguin
June 1st, 2010, 07:14 PM
Dang, sorry to hear your home no longer exists! I know that I can look up the lat and long but that, as far as I'm aware, will not give you any weather info for your location which is really what I was looking for. For weather your location has to be known to the applet... I think. As stated before I would love to know who actually manages this sort of thing and if I knew I'd tell you but I have no idea! Hope your home gets re-added soon, good luck!

x-shaney-x
June 1st, 2010, 07:25 PM
It DOES display the weather if you enter the lat/lon manually.
I have used a weather site as well as the site posted above.

Presumably it just chooses the nearest weather station to that location.

Perturbed Penguin
June 12th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Really?! Well that is news to me, I stand corrected. That is kind of cool that it can do that.