PDA

View Full Version : Guys you wanna see something well weird? o.O

hoppipolla
November 14th, 2009, 04:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl-tmGfQrzs

Hot girl... Linux... Hot girl... Linux... these two just don't usually go together! xD

I am subscribing! :D

SunnyRabbiera
November 14th, 2009, 04:47 AM
yeh I know about her, another girl geek here :D

The Funkbomb
November 14th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Not only is she cute but she's pretty awesome too. She sold me on kdenlive.

HappyFeet
November 14th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Yeah, she's very cute. I've known about her for a while. Very knowledgeable too.

hoppipolla
November 14th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Ok I'm actually gradually getting used to this and it doesn't feel weird anymore.. rofl..

Fingers crossed with a distro aiming to be as accessible as Ubuntu, we will probably see a growing range of different kinds of users, as opposed to just those often referred to as "geeks"! lol :)

nmccrina
November 14th, 2009, 04:59 AM
I think she would make a better spokesperson for the FSF than Stallman. :D

The Funkbomb
November 14th, 2009, 05:02 AM
I don't think it's weird. Ubuntu appeals to a lot of different types. Smart and pretty aren't mutually exclusive.

I think it's really cool that she does these youtube videos. I tried a few times and mine turned out terrible.

earthpigg
November 14th, 2009, 05:08 AM
this one is good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27AGe1b0mnI

abhishekdagr8
November 14th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Hey...
I'm like really new to all this ubuntu.
I'd really like to get to know this girl. Ususally beauty n brains don't go together... she's really intresting. Anybody here who can get me in touch with her?

hansdown
November 14th, 2009, 05:16 AM
She has that effect on the fellas.

Exodist
November 14th, 2009, 05:18 AM
hey...
I'd really like to get to know this girl. Ususally beauty n brains don't go together... She's really intresting. Anybody here who can get me in touch with her?

lol

no!

chillicampari
November 14th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Hey...
I'd really like to get to know this girl. Ususally beauty n brains don't go together... she's really intresting. Anybody here who can get me in touch with her?

That is both fairly offensive and slightly creepy at the same time...

The Funkbomb
November 14th, 2009, 05:22 AM

And this is why people like the OP are shocked when they see women interested in linux.

Lightstar
November 14th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Been watching her videos for awhile. She's good.

timsdeepsky
November 14th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Hot....

ElSlunko
November 14th, 2009, 05:28 AM
I wasn't going to respond but saw "Talk nerdy to me" and just had to post my +1 for the link ;P

chucky chuckaluck
November 14th, 2009, 05:38 AM
you guys have been stranded in the basement too long.

nmccrina
November 14th, 2009, 05:59 AM

+1.
Come on, guys! I mean, yeah she probably rather enjoys the attention (obviously, she keeps making the videos), but at the same time I can't believe that she hasn't been really insulted by some of the comments I read on youtube (not here). If some other girl just starting to use Linux received those comments, I don't doubt that it would be a highly negative influence and might even cause her to leave the Linux community. We don't want that! Please show a little good taste and discretion! ;)

The Funkbomb
November 14th, 2009, 06:01 AM
+1.
Come on, guys! I mean, yeah she probably rather enjoys the attention (obviously, she keeps making the videos), but at the same time I can't believe that she hasn't been really insulted by some of the comments I read on youtube (not here). If some other girl just starting to use Linux received those comments, I don't doubt that it would be a highly negative influence and might even cause her to leave the Linux community. We don't want that! Please show a little good taste and discretion! ;)

Youtube isn't really known for their classy users. Not that it excuses it.

The comments aren't needed though.

nmccrina
November 14th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Youtube isn't really known for their classy users. Not that it excuses it.

The comments aren't needed though.

Yeah, I agree UF is not youtube, but still the response if an attractive girl comes around shouldn't be ":shock: you're hot!!!". (However much we may be thinking it, me not least! ;) ) Chances are she is here for help, and at the end of the day a page full of "You're hot" comments isn't very helpful. :P

Firestem4
November 14th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Theres something horribly wrong when a hot girl turns out to be a geek.

"Stallman! I feel a disturbance in the force..."

Nerd King
November 14th, 2009, 06:49 AM
To be fair any girl (even very young ones it seems) gets dodgy comments on youtube, it's par for the course on the internet sadly.

sledge73
November 14th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Funny thing is the only thing I could think of when watching the video is why not just drag & drop into the themes? It works for me.

steveneddy
November 14th, 2009, 07:08 AM

But, no one said it was OK to come up when the actual Sun was up.

Dude, did you read the post on the Star Trek forums about Spock last Thursday? DUDE!

What's Kirk gonna do?

I mean, really?

hoppipolla
November 14th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Funny thing is the only thing I could think of when watching the video is why not just drag & drop into the themes? It works for me.

Hehe yeah, I think often people do do things in a more complicated way than they need to in Linux because it's what they are used to having to do.

NoaHall
November 14th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I personally consider her even talking about Ubuntu as abuse.

hoppipolla
November 14th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I personally consider her even talking about Ubuntu as abuse.

o.O lol

Tipped OuT
November 14th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Ehh... :-&

I guess some people have different tastes, either that, or geeky girls are generally extremely.... not so attractive.

If that's the case, then she looks awesome!

Nixie Pixel
November 14th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Ehh... :-&

I guess some people have different tastes, either that, or geeky girls are generally extremely.... not so attractive.

If that's the case, then she looks awesome!
These are always my favorite kind of comment.

:p

Tipped OuT
November 14th, 2009, 06:55 PM

Oh crap, you're her. :shock:

Well I feel like an azz.

overdrank
November 14th, 2009, 06:59 PM

Great work. ):P

Well I feel like an azz.
He he:lolflag:

Sealbhach
November 14th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Hey Nixie, you haven't done a video in a while. Any more coming up? You do them really well.

NoaHall
November 14th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Hey Nixie, you haven't done a video in a while. Any more coming up? You do them really well.

Lol.

hoppipolla
November 14th, 2009, 07:17 PM

Well I feel like an azz.

hahahahaha!

Hi Nixie :) lol

Nixie Pixel
November 14th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I actually recorded this the day Karmic came out, but I had some technical difficulties with PulseAudio that made it impossible for me to post the video before I left for the Caribbean.

How to Install Karmic Koala (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHYKLlc4kXw)

It is up now though! Hopefully some people find it useful. I always find it funny that people complain that my videos are for newbies. Of course they are, how else is Ubuntu/linux supposed to get new users? The people who are heavily into this stuff don't need a 3-minute video to help them.

Kdenlive rocks, and solved some problems that Sony Vegas couldn't, even if it isn't as sophisticated, yet. I think I might do a video showing people how to run it "in Windows," and then guide them through burning the LiveCD version. Sneak-attack linux use, hah!

Karmic does have its problems...as I type this my laptop's wireless light is blinking on and off, and the laptop locked hard the other day when the same issue happened. But some things are even better, so I'll stay using it and wait for the bug fixes.

Frak
November 14th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I think she would make a better spokesperson for the FSF than Stallman. :D
Anybody that eats toe cheese and random crap out of their beard isn't a very good spokesperson in terms of PR.

Chame_Wizard
November 14th, 2009, 07:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl-tmGfQrzs

Hot girl... Linux... Hot girl... Linux... these two just don't usually go together! xD

I am subscribing! :D

I like her already.:oops:

she has a new fan here.:lolflag:

hoppipolla
November 14th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I actually recorded this the day Karmic came out, but I had some technical difficulties with PulseAudio that made it impossible for me to post the video before I left for the Caribbean.

How to Install Karmic Koala (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHYKLlc4kXw)

It is up now though! Hopefully some people find it useful. I always find it funny that people complain that my videos are for newbies. Of course they are, how else is Ubuntu/linux supposed to get new users? The people who are heavily into this stuff don't need a 3-minute video to help them.

Kdenlive rocks, and solved some problems that Sony Vegas couldn't, even if it isn't as sophisticated, yet. I think I might do a video showing people how to run it "in Windows," and then guide them through burning the LiveCD version. Sneak-attack linux use, hah!

Karmic does have its problems...as I type this my laptop's wireless light is blinking on and off, and the laptop locked hard the other day when the same issue happened. But some things are even better, so I'll stay using it and wait for the bug fixes.

Yeah I agree Karmic probably isn't perfect, I've had an easy ride so far but I have heard a lot of reports of problems. My theory is that most of this stuff will get smoothed out by Lucid, and it was quite nice to see a jump in aesthetics and technology for this release (new GRUB, new splash and GDM etc etc :) ).

It's getting there slowly, and fingers crossed Lucid should provide an excellent LTS to succeed Dapper and Hardy ^_^

I like her already.:oops:

she has a new fan here.:lolflag:

aww hehe I'm sure she'll be pleased to hear that! ^_^

realzippy
November 14th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Sound of her voice reminds me of darkstar's board computer voice:

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/darkstar/darkstar2.wav

Nixie Pixel
November 14th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks again for the comments!

One thing you may have noticed about Youtube is that the more people rate it and comment on it (positively or negatively), the more chance a video has of being seen by more people. I have had the good fortune of having some of my videos be "featured," which greatly increases the number of people exposed to it.

Hopefully enough people will like one of my Ubuntu/Linux videos to get it featured, and then maybe it will help Ubuntu not seem so scary to new users. I can't imagine that toe cheese eaters make for pleasant spokespeople!

NoaHall
November 14th, 2009, 09:09 PM

One thing you may have noticed about Youtube is that the more people rate it and comment on it (positively or negatively), the more chance a video has of being seen by more people. I have had the good fortune of having some of my videos be "featured," which greatly increases the number of people exposed to it.

Hopefully enough people will like one of my Ubuntu/Linux videos to get it featured, and then maybe it will help Ubuntu not seem so scary to new users. I can't imagine that toe cheese eaters make for pleasant spokespeople!

Oh great, now she thinks she IS the voice and face of FOSS.

realzippy
November 14th, 2009, 09:21 PM

?

@ Nixie:

BTW,can you make some non-scary "Hello..".wav to replace default login soundfile?
Thanks.

hoppipolla
November 14th, 2009, 10:41 PM

I dunno man I also think it wouldn't be a bad move! She could definitely end up the face of Ubuntu on Youtube and social networks! I say go for it Nixie! ^_^

EDIT -- And don't worry I not just saying this coz she is pretty! heh - I also think she has the charisma that tends to be needed to do that! :)

Ubu2009
November 14th, 2009, 11:45 PM
cool hot chick that uses Ubuntu. What can go wrong? :p

seeker5528
November 14th, 2009, 11:50 PM

Hope you're not easily offended....

Listening to the videos reminds me of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he_j45zFLqI

;););)

Later, Seeker

lisati
November 15th, 2009, 12:03 AM

I can relate: I'm pretty close to being old enough to be her grandfather.

Nixie Pixel
November 15th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I fail to see how you could get this from what I said above.

It is amazing how people manage to find something negative in completely non-threatening things. I started making these Linux videos because LinuxHaxor.net approached me after reading some of my blog posts regarding Linux (and saw some of my other videos) and thought I would help people see that Linux isn't so scary after all. I continue to do this because people continue to write to me and tell me that I have helped them.

I don't do it because I think I am some sort of Linux/FOSS icon. I am far from that. I like making videos, but I don't necessarily enjoy making installation tutorials. I keep making similar videos because people tell me they like them, they find them helpful, and because I want to give back to the community that has helped me.

I am simply expressing here the way that people have told me that I help the community. That doesn't make me the face of anything.

NoaHall
November 15th, 2009, 12:16 AM
<snip>

Ehm, don't take it to heart, I just don't think videos are best form of guides. Especially since it seems so many newbies don't know how to get flash installed. Plus, I don't think anyone should try and be the face/voice of Ubuntu or its users.

Nixie Pixel
November 15th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Ehm, don't take it to heart, I just don't think videos are best form of guides. Especially since it seems so many newbies don't know how to get flash installed. Plus, I don't think anyone should try and be the face/voice of Ubuntu or its users.
Ok...I understand your thoughts. Fortunately there is plenty of room for the myriad of people who want to create guides in other media, and someone like me who wants to make videos.

Judging by the responses I get, there are plenty of people out there who find video guides to be helpful.

Tipped OuT
November 15th, 2009, 12:24 AM

And, she never was trying to be in the first place. I don't see how thinking videos aren't the best form of guides, could lead you to say "Oh great, now she thinks she IS the voice and face of FOSS". to her.

b00ka
November 15th, 2009, 12:35 AM
You know I have just caught and followed this thread and I must say I have never laughed so much. Well done Nixie for the grand entrance midway through all the testosterone - HAHAHAHA.

Also I don't really believe that anyone could be a spokesperson/face of something as big as the Ubuntu/linux phenomenon. It has a life of it's own as is it's own identity. It's only through the help of people like Nixie and everyone else who supports the community that Ubuntu/Linux will continue to grow.

Edit - Oops - i meant to say it has a life of it's own AND it's own identity. -

hehehehe - forum noobie

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 15th, 2009, 12:39 AM
No thanks, I've got a girlfriend and she's perfect. Smart, pretty, and well connected (good job etc). She's a Mac girl though...frustrating.

The Funkbomb
November 15th, 2009, 12:41 AM
It amazes me that someone takes the time to do something positive for the Ubuntu community and she gets crapped on by people.

Nixie, I like your videos. I hope there are more in the future.

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 15th, 2009, 12:45 AM
It amazes me that someone takes the time to do something positive for the Ubuntu community and she gets crapped on by people.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with what she's doing in fact I think I even used one of her tutorials ages and ages ago. I'm just more than a little disgusted by how every guy thinks with his small brain whenever he sees a girl that does computer stuff. I go to school with them every day and most of them are just like other girls.

NoaHall
November 15th, 2009, 12:45 AM
No thanks, I've got a girlfriend and she's perfect. Smart, pretty, and well connected (good job etc). She's a Mac girl though...frustrating.

Yep, cause you were really going to hook up with a random person online whom you haven't talked directly to right?

Tipped OuT
November 15th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Yeah, I don't have a problem with what she's doing in fact I think I even used one of her tutorials ages and ages ago. I'm just more than a little disgusted by how every guy thinks with his small brain whenever he sees a girl that does computer stuff. I go to school with them every day and most of them are just like other girls.

+1 Finally someone else who thinks with his large brain. ;)

Istonian
November 15th, 2009, 12:50 AM
She isn't pretty or cute imo. She does have some interesting videos though.

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 15th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Yep, cause you were really going to hook up with a random person online whom you haven't talked directly to right?
Right, I wasn't implying that. Quite the opposite, even if it were likely for what you say to happen, I wouldn't be interested.

NoaHall
November 15th, 2009, 01:01 AM
right, i wasn't implying that. Quite the opposite, even if it were likely for what you say to happen, i wouldn't be interested.

:) +1

hoppipolla
November 15th, 2009, 01:23 AM

Thing is that on the internet there are just a lot of people, and a lot of potential viewpoints. Many people in this thread and probably on Youtube are being very supportive and appreciate the videos Nixie has made and the time and effort that goes into things like this :) It's just that you will always get people who take things badly or launch attacks or dissatisfaction over usually very small issues, but it's just a matter of taking the good with the bad :)

And Noah come on man, she hasn't done anything wrong, she's not trying to be some spokesperson for FOSS and she never said she was. Also, it's a bit silly to say "videos aren't the best help because not everyone has flash installed", because that is only one easily solved issue, and there is no rule that says they are even watching the vids on Ubuntu at all!

Personally I think it's cool! I mean it took me by surprise but that's just because it's unexpected and awesome to see someone interested and passionate about Ubuntu who completely falls outside of the "Linux users must be geeks.." stereotype! :)

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 15th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Personally I think it's cool! I mean it took me by surprise but that's just because it's unexpected and awesome to see someone interested and passionate about Ubuntu who completely falls outside of the "Linux users must be geeks.." stereotype! :)
I'm curious what the current definition of geek is. I would consider that girl a geek, because of what she does. The same way I would label myself a geek despite the fact that I can be quite sociable and people wouldn't expect me to be a techy, because I work out and am...uh cool? Am a labeling myself wrong?

What exactly is a toe cheese eater?

hoppipolla
November 15th, 2009, 01:34 AM
I'm curious what the current definition of geek is. I would consider that girl a geek, because of what she does. The same way I would label myself a geek despite the fact that I can be quite sociable at times and I work out etc. Am a labeling myself wrong?

I dunno, I have no idea what the generally accepted definition is... o.O

I tend to consider someone a geek when these kinds of topics occupy their lives to such an extent that other things get pushed aside, and they have trouble interacting socially etc etc... I dunno.

It doesn't really matter that much I guess, it's only a word after all :)

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 15th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Oh. In that case. How do you know she's not a geek? She makes videos about computer stuff after all. That's a pretty big investment of personal time.

NoaHall
November 15th, 2009, 01:36 AM
I'm not a geek, I'm a ultra-humaniod.

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 15th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Anyway, I think it's great that she makes helpful videos for the community regardless of her intentions in making them or other people's reasons for watching them. I don't find it "weird" or hot though.

That's all I'm going to say. I've kind of gone off on a tangent. I didn't mean to derail the thread. Goodbye.

hoppipolla
November 15th, 2009, 01:46 AM
That's all I'm going to say. I've kind of gone off on a tangent. I didn't mean to derail the thread. Goodbye.

aww don't worry man you didn't do anything wrong! (at least not that I remember, I mean I haven't been watching the thread like a hawk or anything!)

I think this thread is going alright! You only get the occasional strange comment o.O heh

hoppipolla
November 15th, 2009, 01:47 AM
As for the geek thing... I dunno. I don't think I would personally group that many people on here under that category if I'm honest. It depends on the person and how they see the subject matter in relation to other things. Most people are quite light-hearted and casual about Linuxy stuff, too much so to consider them geeks :)

sisco311
November 15th, 2009, 02:19 AM
attractive human beings are no longer supported by Ubuntu

R.I.P. ubuntu-calendar

:)

EDIT:

@Nixie Pixel

Keep up the good work!

wirepuller134
November 15th, 2009, 03:39 AM
We think she does a good job, and refer people to her videos and several other websites.

CharlesA
November 15th, 2009, 03:48 AM
I'm not a geek, I'm a ultra-humaniod.

I prefer "meta-human." :D

The videos are pretty good for people just starting out.

praveesh
November 15th, 2009, 03:56 AM

Great work you did . Keep it up . I have already expected you here .

Nixie Pixel
November 16th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Thanks, everyone. I do try to help people new to Linux give it a try. I will continue to make them as long as people find them useful.

I consider myself a geek because of my tendency to say awkward/nerdy things in social situations, and how much I love my technology.. plus how much time I spend with it!

hoppipolla
November 16th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks, everyone. I do try to help people new to Linux give it a try. I will continue to make them as long as people find them useful.

I consider myself a geek because of my tendency to say awkward/nerdy things in social situations, and how much I love my technology.. plus how much time I spend with it!

I think that is awesome ^_^

ElSlunko
November 16th, 2009, 06:56 PM

But do you love technology as much as this guy...

http://www.cadencedesign.net/tbe/images/kip.jpg

Flimm
November 16th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I started making these Linux videos because LinuxHaxor.net approached me after reading some of my blog posts regarding Linux (and saw some of my other videos) and thought I would help people see that Linux isn't so scary after all. I continue to do this because people continue to write to me and tell me that I have helped them.
Well done! Ubuntu and Free Software in general needs more people like you.

I can't resist mentioning Epidermis (http://epidermis.tuxfamily.org) concerning the subject of your video. This program makes installing a theme as easy as downloading a file and double-clicking on it. It's even got its own repository of themes. It's current weakness is that the repository doesn't have a lot of themes in it, compared to gnome-look.org. I'm not saying you should have mentioned it in your video, I just saying that life could be easier than downloading, extracting and sudo copying a folder to install a theme. :)

(Now for the unpleasant part of my post)
Some of the comments make Ubuntu look bad. Ubuntu is Linux for human beings, not Linux for guys who can't say more than:
Hot....at the sight of a good-looking female user of Linux. If she weren't as good looking, would we comment on that too? I'm glad she has thick skin, I would freak out if a bunch of women commented on my looks and expressed their surprise at my choice of OS every time I posted a Linux related video. Why should having thick skin be a requisite for women to contribute to Linux publicly?

Hey...
I'd really like to get to know this girl. Ususally beauty n brains don't go together... she's really intresting. Anybody here who can get me in touch with her?"Usually beauty and brains don't go together" what rubbish! (I fixed the spelling mistakes for you, there, BTW)

Nixie Pixel
November 16th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Thanks! The comments don't bother me.. you have to be open to people having different views and thoughts if you are making videos for the public to watch. I always appreciate positive comments, and since I hope to eventually turn this into a career constructive criticism is also great, but purely negative comments speak negatively of the person who writes them and have no value for me in improving my videos and presentation.

Instead of someone saying "you suck" or "you don't know anything about Linux," I would love it if they would say "you can do x, y instead of z and it will look/sound better."

That way, everybody wins. :D

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 16th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I can't resist mentioning Epidermis (http://epidermis.tuxfamily.org) concerning the subject of your video. This program makes installing a theme as easy as downloading a file and double-clicking on it.
That sounds like it could be useful but it's so easy to simply open the appearnce settings and just drop folders for icons/gtk-themes/metacity-themes right into the appearance dialogue.

Nevermind...just watched the video. You want it to be available for all users ;)

andrew.46
November 17th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Hi Nixie Pixel,

Keep up the great work :).

Andrew

TheSqueak
November 17th, 2009, 01:23 PM
They're really excellent and informative videos, and you deserve much kudos for that.

As for some of the other commenters, I really can't help but think of this:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/pix_plz.png

hoppipolla
November 18th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Thanks! The comments don't bother me.. you have to be open to people having different views and thoughts if you are making videos for the public to watch. I always appreciate positive comments, and since I hope to eventually turn this into a career constructive criticism is also great, but purely negative comments speak negatively of the person who writes them and have no value for me in improving my videos and presentation.

Instead of someone saying "you suck" or "you don't know anything about Linux," I would love it if they would say "you can do x, y instead of z and it will look/sound better."

That way, everybody wins. :D

i agree totally :)

constructive criticism as well as congratulations for when things go well is the best way! Like also I think at the moment you need SOME tolerance for things not always working to use Linux for example, I love my KDE set up to bits but I'd be lying if I claimed it was bug free! :)

hoppipolla
November 18th, 2009, 07:21 PM
They're really excellent and informative videos, and you deserve much kudos for that.

As for some of the other commenters, I really can't help but think of this:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/pix_plz.png

haha that's awesome xD