PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS a Distro?

Ravernomina
November 14th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Ive really been thinking... Is Mac OS X a Darwin/BSD distro? I mean i can run Aqua/GDM/KDE, I can also run RPM and PGK for package managers. I can also fully edit the OS with a command through terminal or finder. Also mac OS X is Open source as well. So could it be a distro in itself?

schauerlich
November 14th, 2009, 04:45 AM
The link in my signature has some good information about the structure of OS X. It's Unix, but very different from Linux.

The Funkbomb
November 14th, 2009, 04:45 AM
As Ubuntu users, it's like that cousin that made it famous and then comes around just to tell us how much better he is. :P

Ravernomina
November 14th, 2009, 04:46 AM
The link in my signature has some good information about the structure of OS X. It's Unix, but very different from Linux.

Well i know that for sure just trying to run some commands that Linux has Mac OS does not. But what im trying to state is it a BSD/Darwin Distro

-grubby
November 14th, 2009, 04:46 AM
mac OS X is Open source as well.

No, it isn't. Read the link EDavidBurg's signature please.

schauerlich
November 14th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Well i know that for sure just trying to run some commands that Linux has Mac OS does not. But what im trying to state is it a BSD/Darwin Distro

What do you mean by "distro"? Yeah, it's based on Darwin, and Darwin incorporates a bunch of BSD code. However, "distro" to me means something quite different. Distributions are collections of software packages written by a bunch of different projects and put together. OS X is built from the ground up by the same people.

Ravernomina
November 14th, 2009, 04:50 AM
No, it isn't. Read the link EDavidBurg's signature please.

I just did and i still think its a distro. Course you half to buy it but its like Redhat or OpenSUSE.

N4zgu1
November 14th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Mac OS is not open source, part of it is open source (Darwin) but most of it is not, anyway I don't think it is a distro

Ravernomina
November 14th, 2009, 04:55 AM
What do you mean by "distro"? Yeah, it's based on Darwin, and Darwin incorporates a bunch of BSD code. However, "distro" to me means something quite different. Distributions are collections of software packages written by a bunch of different projects and put together. OS X is built from the ground up by the same people.

To me its an OS that can be totally modified and is open source to a point. Meaning that the core of the OS (not the GUI), can be modified to the users liking and be able to change anything in it as well. Also that it is UNIX based and have a package manager. Along with a community and free support, software, and development tools.

Ravernomina
November 14th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Mac OS is not open source, part of it is open source (Darwin) but most of it is not, anyway I don't think it is a distro

read Edavidburgs thing about Mac OS in his sig it clearly is.

Sorry for Double Post :l

earthpigg
November 14th, 2009, 05:01 AM
OS X can be called by the slang term "distro" just like my cat can be called by the slang term "dude".

Ravernomina
November 14th, 2009, 05:06 AM
OS X can be called by the slang term "distro" just like my cat can be called by the slang term "dude".

If your cat is a Male then i understand. If not then your just mocking me

and it like the slang term for ubuntu is "distro"

schauerlich
November 14th, 2009, 05:07 AM
To me its an OS that can be totally modified and is open source to a point. Meaning that the core of the OS (not the GUI), can be modified to the users liking and be able to change anything in it as well. Also that it is UNIX based and have a package manager. Along with a community and free support, software, and development tools.

It's still a very different setup than a Linux distribution. "Distro" has a connotation which is not appropriate in this context.

Ravernomina
November 14th, 2009, 05:08 AM
It's still a very different setup than a Linux distribution. "Distro" has a connotation which is not appropriate in this context.

well i know its not even close to a Linux distro its EXTREMELY far off. Im meaning BSD Distro, Nothing close to Linux but BSD

earthpigg
November 14th, 2009, 05:18 AM
If your cat is a Male then i understand. If not then your just mocking me

and it like the slang term for ubuntu is "distro"

not mocking you.

pointing out that you can take damn near any adjective, expand it's definition broadly enough, and then make it apply to everything and anything.

I can distribute Darwin, derivative works, and modifications thereof as I please, so long as I freely pass onto others the freedoms that where freely given to me.

I can not do this with OS X.

Ravernomina
November 14th, 2009, 05:21 AM
not mocking you.

pointing out that you can take damn near any adjective, expand it's definition broadly enough, and then make it apply to everything and anything.

I can distribute Darwin, derivative works, and modifications thereof as I please, so long as I freely pass onto others the freedoms that where freely given to me.

I can not do this with OS X.

you can do this with OS X. Not with Aqua but everything else is open source.

SunnyRabbiera
November 14th, 2009, 05:41 AM
I just did and i still think its a distro. Course you half to buy it but its like Redhat or OpenSUSE.

No openSUSE is free to download now, has been for some time now.

Ravernomina
November 14th, 2009, 05:45 AM
No openSUSE is free to download now, has been for some time now.

sorry mean i SUSE :P..... Havnt slept in a while now....

schauerlich
November 14th, 2009, 05:49 AM
you can do this with OS X. Not with Aqua but everything else is open source.

OS X - proprietary stuff ~= Darwin. So, to repeat what people have been saying: Darwin is free/open source. OS X is proprietary/mixed source.

Ravernomina
November 14th, 2009, 05:51 AM
OS X - proprietary stuff ~= Darwin. So, to repeat what people have been saying: Darwin is free/open source. OS X is proprietary/mixed source.

Mac OS X RUNS on Darwin. Only thing not open source is the GUI

Warpnow
November 14th, 2009, 06:10 AM
OSX could be called a unix distribution, but not a linux distribution. Calling it a bsd distribution would be iffy.

schauerlich
November 14th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Mac OS X RUNS on Darwin. Only thing not open source is the GUI

Incorrect. I don't think you read my FAQ very carefully.

Ravernomina
November 14th, 2009, 06:14 AM
OSX could be called a unix distribution, but not a linux distribution. Calling it a bsd distribution would be iffy.

I would agree with you on that that. UNIX distro would match it better now that i think about it

Ravernomina
November 14th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Incorrect. I don't think you read my FAQ very carefully.

Yes correct. Darwin is the Core Of Mac OS X. OpenDarwin is just the kernel. And GNU-Darwin is a Darwin Distro. Darwin runs OS X it Is OS X. Besides Cocoa and Aqua and carbon everything else is open source and can be modified.

wmcbrine
November 14th, 2009, 06:56 AM
I don't think the BSD community uses the term "distro" anyway (?), even if you looked at it as a flavor of BSD.

schauerlich
November 14th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Yes correct. Darwin is the Core Of Mac OS X. OpenDarwin is just the kernel. And GNU-Darwin is a Darwin Distro. Darwin runs OS X it Is OS X. Besides Cocoa and Aqua and carbon everything else is open source and can be modified.

Still wrong.

KiwiNZ
November 14th, 2009, 08:08 AM
@ Ravernomina and edavidburg have a read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X and let others travel back to topic

LinuxFanBoi
November 14th, 2009, 08:26 AM
My understanding of the way open source licenses work is that you are free to borrow from open source projects and even sell your wares for profit, however anything derived from open source must it self remain open and freely available.

Apple is free to make wholly closed source applications that interact with the open source portions, this is true. What apple has borrowed from Berkly and integrated into what they call OS X is now something else entirely. It's not BSD unless Berkley says it's BSD.

earthpigg
November 14th, 2009, 08:32 AM
My understanding of the way open source licenses work is that you are free to borrow from open source projects and even sell your wares for profit, however anything derived from open source must it self remain open and freely available.

thats the way the GPL works, but not all open source stuff.

the BSD license, for example, allows you to take something open source and make it non-free. example: Google Chrome. example: BSD Unix. example: CUPS, the printing system used by ubuntu. example: OpenSSH, installed by default on ubuntu.

Paqman
November 14th, 2009, 09:21 AM
OS X isn't OS X without the massive pile of proprietary gubbins that sit atop the open source core.

Darwin is open source, OS X is most definitely not.

HappinessNow
November 14th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Ive really been thinking... Is Mac OS X a Darwin/BSD distro? I mean i can run Aqua/GDM/KDE, I can also run RPM and PGK for package managers. I can also fully edit the OS with a command through terminal or finder. Also mac OS X is Open source as well. So could it be a distro in itself?

Ravernomina never said anything about Linux.

gn2
November 14th, 2009, 09:29 AM
How can OSX be a distribution, when you are not free to distribute it?

earthpigg
November 14th, 2009, 09:45 AM
How can OSX be a distribution, when you are not free to distribute it?

that.

3rdalbum
November 14th, 2009, 12:44 PM
If it's the only distribution, then it's not a distribution.

We don't talk about "Syllable distributions" or "Haiku distributions", because there's only one of each. If somebody did put together a different set of software on top of Haiku, it would still just be Haiku because the core is the same.