PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Clean Install - should I try 64 bit?

3pinner
November 14th, 2009, 03:48 AM
I've been running Ubuntu for about 3 years now.
I have AMD 64 bit dual core system, but always used the standard i386 versions of Ubuntu.
I am planning on doing a clean install of 9.10.
I have dual boot system, two hard drives, one for Ubuntu - that has partitions for system, swap and home,
another hard drive with Windows loaded already that I hardly use.

I want to try the 64 bit version of UBuntu, and will load it on the Ubuntu hard disk.
What problems should I anticipate?
Will I be able to access my accounts on my home folder as usual?

Thanks!

garvinrick4
November 14th, 2009, 04:09 AM
I have been running 64 bit for quite a while and with no problems. All plug-in's work
fine. In a while when all chips are 64 bit capable why would any one want 32 bit.

Everything just works fine that is all I am saying.

garvinrick4
November 14th, 2009, 04:15 AM
You do have to back up all files on clean install and back up Bookmarks in Firefox.
The Bookmarks in firefox I really do not know if they will load back in after change
from 32 bit to 64. Let me know on this thread if you would.

wojox
November 14th, 2009, 04:16 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=343

Perturbed Penguin
November 14th, 2009, 04:31 AM
I switched from 32bit to 64bit when I fresh-installed Karmic a short while ago. I have been very impressed with compatibility, I haven't hardly had any issues. The only problems I've run into are:

* Handbrake amd64 won't run once installed because of an updated dependency in Karmic, there are workarounds from what I hear but I think I'll just wait for the next release as I don't use it that often.

* Stellarium seems a bit jumpy whereas in Jaunty it was smooth as a river rock - this could easily have nothing to do with 64bit though.

I do not know about settings and bookmarks and things of that sort b/c I fresh-installed as stated earlier, I would be sure to back them up though. I was expecting to have a lot more problems as in Windows hardly anything is 64bit and there are very often issues because of this but I am very glad this has not been the case with Ubuntu! If I were you a month ago I would have advised you to avoid 64bit... now I realize I was just too caught up in what was going on in the Windows world... at this point I would strongly advise you to try 64bit!

EDIT:
For some time now I have been running a newly released version of Handbrake that works wonderfully - Stellarium is still a bit choppy though.

3pinner
November 14th, 2009, 05:15 AM
thank you for the comments, I will download and install tomorrow.