PDA

View Full Version : Do you like IE?

LepeKaname
November 14th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Wondering how many of you enjoy using Internet Explorer (any version).
If your answer is no (for any reason) please share your ideas in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1323831

(Poll coming)

pwnst*r
November 14th, 2009, 03:19 AM
if you don't know the kind of answers you'll get from this forum, or from most forums of any OS, then you need to take a walk and think about it.

Shibblet
November 14th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Hate it. Even on Windows, Firefox, and Google Chrome are SIGNIFICANTLY better browsers.

The Funkbomb
November 14th, 2009, 03:20 AM
As far as using it, I don't have a problem with it. Firefox is just better.

Designing websites for it, on the other hand... :-x:-x:-x

For some reason, the folks at Microsoft don't want to follow a lot of web standards. Prime example is the floating div bug. Seriously, why? It's CSS.

So you make your website and you run it in a variety of browsers. It's beautiful in Firefox, Opera, Safari... Open it up in IE and you realize you have to go back and fix your CSS because they refuse to follow w3 standards.

Mike'sHardLinux
November 14th, 2009, 03:33 AM
My first reaction was "meh". After reading FunkBomb's post, I pretty much agree with everything they said. I do a little web devel, too, and have run into issues from time to time.

J-Buntu
November 14th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Haha. . . no i don't like IE.

wilee-nilee
November 14th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I would like if not for the LSO super cookies adware tracking cookies and it's known vulnerabilities.

This is a browser for profit! not performance or safety.

hoppipolla
November 14th, 2009, 03:43 AM
I said No I hate it, but that's not QUITE true... I don't like it, but I actually think that these days it's occasionally passable as a browser. It was a complete nightmare back in the days of IE 6 though, it doubled the length of time me and my friend spent working on a website because it was just so stubborn and out of date compared to Firefox/Mozilla/Opera.

These days it's relatively ok I think.

doctor82
November 14th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Firefox is completely customizable with wonderful extensions like adblock. Why would someone want to go for IE?

dragos240
November 14th, 2009, 04:06 AM
NO absolutely not! Worst browser I ever used.

nmccrina
November 14th, 2009, 04:12 AM
I haven't used it for at least 6 years, except to go get Firefox after a fresh install. :)

-grubby
November 14th, 2009, 04:14 AM
IE8 is... kind of... uhh... kind of good?

ratcheer
November 14th, 2009, 04:15 AM
I voted "No, I hate it", but I don't really hate it. It just confuses me, so I almost never use it.

Tim

garvinrick4
November 14th, 2009, 04:22 AM
It doe's it's job I just enjoy the open-source profects better. And the new Java engine
and what is it webkit I believe does a super job in Chromium. Firefox looks nice and has
good capiblilitys also. Do not miss explorer but will not slander a product that took me
into cyber world. Seems like I find myself opening Firefox more than others. In the future
Chromium looks like it is catching up quick.

vagrantrooper
November 14th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Never tried IE,

SunnyRabbiera
November 14th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Screw IE, seriously its a broken browser.

amingv
November 14th, 2009, 05:28 AM
I don't particularly like it, but I wouldn't say I hate it (though I voted that).
I just don't feel comfortable using it, neither do I feel inclined to trust it.

trixman
November 14th, 2009, 06:00 AM

(Poll coming)

nope i never liked ie

firefox & safari

misfitpierce
November 14th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Granted this is a Ubuntu board and I have not used windows in years... but... When I used windows still and had IE, I got to say it was awful! It was slow and laggy, It picked up malware too easily and bad ActiveX controllers, It rendered Flash and Java/Javascript poorly at times lagging harshly. It was just very, very bad back a few years ago when I used windows and tried out IE. I mean I don't know if it has upgraded by now but they stole design ideas and plugin ideas off firefox and you just can't imitate the best! Simple and plain!

H2SO_four
November 14th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Only use IE when I have to.

diesch
November 14th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Last time I used Internet Explorer was when I had to install it on some Solaris/SPARC boxes at university some years ago because some lecturer needed it. It took me some time to prevent it from destroying its own config files but after a few hours it worked most of the times.

After is wasn't needed any more I deinstaller it and suggested to burn down the server room just in case but wasn't allowed for some reason.

jpmelos
November 14th, 2009, 06:28 AM
I don't know why I was already expecting the result.

JDShu
November 14th, 2009, 06:51 AM
I'm surprised there aren't more "don't know/cares". I haven't used it for 5+ years so I don't know. I use Linux full time, so I don't care.

lightningfox
November 14th, 2009, 06:56 AM
No I don't.

Firefox is much better than IE.

Firestem4
November 14th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Hate it. Even on Windows, Firefox, and Google Chrome are SIGNIFICANTLY better browsers.

This^^

I despise IE because of its immense system hooks. It makes Windows a lot more vulnerable than necessary.

lisati
November 14th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Unless I can't help it, I normally use Firefox. The main exceptions are when some rogue software doesn't bother checking my default browser or when I can't be bothered tinkering with the user agent settings.

Tipped OuT
November 14th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Okay, to who ever chooses "Yes! definitely. It is a pretty cool piece of software!", you either must be crazy, or just joking.

That's all I got to say.

doorknob60
November 14th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Uhh, no. Duh? I especially hate when I'm using a computer at school or the library or something and it has XP with no service pack and IE6 *fail* IE7 and IE8 are at least usable (tabs and search box are a must), but I still don't like it.

J-Buntu
November 14th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Own up . . . who voted yes ???

V for Vincent
November 14th, 2009, 09:00 AM
No - dear God, no! I'm not against Microsoft products in general. Some of their stuff is very polished. IE, however, is anything but that. It's one of the things that led me to explore open source and drove me away from windows around the time I started building websites.

hessiess
November 14th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I hate it and its an absolute nightmare for web developers.

Paqman
November 14th, 2009, 09:12 AM
I've never met anyone who's ever built a website that has anything nice to say about that "browser".

Somme
November 14th, 2009, 10:03 AM
IE8 is pretty nice, tough, might be a little bit too slow for me.

HappinessNow
November 14th, 2009, 10:05 AM

(Poll coming)
I like it medium dark buttered on one side. Toast is awesome!

RabbitWho
November 14th, 2009, 10:27 AM
A friend of mine lives out in the countryside where her only two choices for internet are dial up or super uber amazingly fast and expensive.. so she has the super uber amazingly fast and expensive.. which I was excited by.. so i sat down to use it.. only to find it was slower than mine.. IE just couldn't render as fast as the information was coming in, I convinced her to download firefox and it was rocket fast. She was so happy!

UltimatePisman
November 14th, 2009, 11:21 AM
IE doesn't care about the web standards.
And never will.
Also, it's slow as hell.
IE and Firefox are, however, the only browsers which don't have that bug in the Inbox of YouTube, which annoys me.
And since a long while ago, I didn't use IE anymore.
But it's still needed for sites with ActiveX.
Well, if Google Chrome didn't had that Inbox bug in YouTube, I could switch to Chrome for 100%.

But the answer the Poll:
No, I hate it.

adeypoop
November 14th, 2009, 12:33 PM
IE8 is a step in the right direction and finally starting to get close to rendering html and css according to standards. At work I am stuck with the useless out of date piece of cr@p that is IE6 .. LOL At home firefox all the way :)

cartman640
November 14th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Since I'm a web developer, naturally I hate IE with a passion. It makes every part of the web worse, and contributes nothing. There's not a single good thing that can be said about any version of IE, every single part of it is terrible. I'd rather use lynx, or type the HTTP headers myself and read the responses through telnet.

I've been looking into HTML5 and CSS3 (neither of which work in IE) and seeing what can be done is certainly pretty amazing, however it saddens me to think that it will probably be 5+ years before we can use this, and HTML5 and CSS3 aren't exactly new concepts.

LepeKaname
November 16th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Microsoft expend 100 million dollars each year in IE... They should save that money and leave the real browsers do their job.

I think they use such an amount of money repairing bugs, patching the bug repairs and fixing the patches done to the bug repairs.... :P

If just Firefox developers could have that budget, we would see HTML6+CCS4 already implemented... j/k

BuffaloX
November 16th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Okay, to who ever chooses "Yes! definitely. It is a pretty cool piece of software!", you either must be crazy, or just joking.

That's all I got to say.

Yep, I vote every web developer just block IE.

The only reason MS is even trying to make IE better, is because Firefox came along.

IE 6 was unchanged for 6 years, that would be the equivalent of driving a 60 year old car!

rajcan
November 16th, 2009, 03:23 AM
No! I absolutely despise it! It's the slowest browser out there, has the most bugs, and adhere's to absolutely no standard whatsoever!!!!! And the fact that it's named INTERNET EXPLORER drives me insane!!!! I'm constantly finding people who believe that IE is the internet, and they refuse to switch to anything else because they don't want to use something different!!!!! Which makes my job all the more annoying as a web developer because I have to support IE for websites because so many stankin people use it!!!!

</rant>

mathfreak123
November 16th, 2009, 03:30 AM
No. hate it

Reason:

As a web developer, it makes my job frustrating.

Ubu2009
November 16th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Why use that crapware when there are better alternatives? Didn't like it when i used Windows and don't even want to know anything about it now. I love my Fox :D

wulfgang
November 16th, 2009, 05:59 AM
I only use firefox. :)
EDIT:Who was the person who voted for ie.

Frak
November 16th, 2009, 06:03 AM
I don't like it, but I don't hate it either. The latest IE is much more dev friendly than 6 and 7 were.

Cathhsmom
November 16th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Hate is a strong word. I do not hate IE, but I prefer all the other browsers over IE. IE8 is buggy. Everytime I would increase the font and close the browser in the increase font, IE crashed. I stopped using IE.

Dr Belka
November 16th, 2009, 07:06 AM
When I started doing web design several years ago, I became SO FRUSTRATED with IE's failure to comply with standards. I then found firefox and other browsers. I had never heard of freeware or opensource software before, so that is what got me interested. About three months after that, I found ubuntu, and here I am.

LepeKaname
November 16th, 2009, 07:11 AM
When I started doing web design several years ago, I became SO FRUSTRATED with IE's failure to comply with standards. I then found firefox and other browsers. I had never heard of freeware or opensource software before, so that is what got me interested. About three months after that, I found ubuntu, and here I am.

So we can say that thanks to IE you use Ubuntu. Thats a good reason why not to hate IE after all... :D

BrMBr
November 16th, 2009, 07:24 AM
IE is a piece, as everything M$ does...

vashman
November 16th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Used the new internet explorer at school(like after 7 years of not even seeing it on some ones computer),
and let me tell you i was surprised to see error on every website i went to. It kept coming up with page errors and recommending compatibility mode (which was even worse).

I mean compatibility mode!?#%# what?, are there not like standards why would you it need a special mode (might as well as to admit that it never worked).

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 16th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Used the new internet explorer at school(like after 7 years of not even seeing it on some ones computer),
and let me tell you i was surprised to see error on every website i went to. It kept coming up with page errors and recommending compatibility mode (which was even worse).

I mean compatibility mode!?#%# what?, are there not like standards why would you it need a special mode (might as well as to admit that it never worked).
Unfortunately a lot of web developers used crappy hacks to make pages work with IE. As a result they work with old IE. Hence the compatibility mode. IE is more standards compliant now, but it still must be able to display legacy broken code designed for old IE.

I've been using FireFox for years and years. IE also drove me crazy in my attempts at web design.

LepeKaname
November 16th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Unfortunately a lot of web developers used crappy hacks to make pages work with IE. As a result they work with old IE.

That is one of the main reasons why people still use IE6. As long the pages are displayed correctly, there is no reason to change.

SirBismuth
November 16th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I do part-time web development, and don't even think of IE, especially 6. As matter of fact, will not be supporting IE 6 as from January 2010.

If something I design works in FF/Chrome, I am happy. If it doesn't work in IE, well I don't HAVE IE at home since completely replacing XP with Ubuntu, so I don't know and don't care.

But, the templates I use already have CSS hacks for IE built into them, so they probably do work in IE.

So, no, I do not like IE, never have since I first used it & felt sick, got Netscape Navigator, as it was known in those days, and have never looked back.

B

siimo
November 16th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I hate IE. Only use it to browse intranet at work and for Javascript debugging through Visual Studio. Though IE8 developer toolbar is not too bad, it is a carbon copy of FireBug functionality.

LepeKaname
November 16th, 2009, 09:40 AM
As matter of fact, will not be supporting IE 6 as from January 2010.

I also opted to drop the support for IE6. I think your comment will be really useful in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1323831

Zoot7
November 16th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I've always thought it was an awful browser. Don't know what the new version 8 is like mind you, although I won't be installing it on XP or using it in Windows 7 anytime soon.

Dr Belka
November 27th, 2009, 07:43 AM
So we can say that thanks to IE you use Ubuntu. Thats a good reason why not to hate IE after all... :D

lol. Wow, I owe microsoft big time, I guess.....

great.... In debt to M$

gnomeuser
November 27th, 2009, 07:35 PM
My first instinct was to answer "Isn't that like asking if I like being submerged in human waste to the neck and being left without food, water or shelter for a decade"..

Then I remembered that IE8 had this neat accelerators feature when I tried it last and it was pretty damn handy for translation. So IE is 99.999% crap.. and accelerators which changes the fabric of space and time.

ve4cib
November 27th, 2009, 08:17 PM
It's not so much that I hate IE, it's just that I like pretty much ever other browser out there more.

IE8 I must admit I don't mind using on occasion. I'm semi-forced to use it at work, so maybe it's just an odd case of Stockholm Syndrome applied to browsers, but it's not too bad. I can certainly think of more painful programs to use from a user-perspective.

From a development perspective IE still leaves a bit to be desired. As nice as IE8's compatability mode is, it's different enough from IE7 that you actually need to even more work sometimes. Yes, you can just turn compatability mode off, but some clients refuse to do that, so we need to develop web applications that work flawlessly in 3 versions of IE: IE7, IE8, and IE8c. This has only really been an issue with some really crazy RTL-oriented web apps I've been working on, but it's popped up on other rare occasions too.

IE8's JS debugger is surprisingly decent. It's no Firebug, and I'd like to be able to arbitrarily edit CSS more easily, but it generally seems to work.

Eagles18
November 27th, 2009, 08:52 PM
IE blows!It is so slow and lacks addons.

Marvin666
November 27th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Uhh, no. Duh? I especially hate when I'm using a computer at school or the library or something and it has XP with no service pack and IE6 *fail* IE7 and IE8 are at least usable (tabs and search box are a must), but I still don't like it.
Oh my Linus! IE has tabbed browsing now? Crap, now people might start to take it seriously...

RiceMonster
November 27th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Oh my Linus! IE has tabbed browsing now? Crap, now people might start to take it seriously...

Where have you been for the last three years?

Eisenwinter
November 27th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I haven't used IE as a main browser for at least 5 years, so I really don't know what's going on with it right now.

I voted "I don't know or I don't care".

speedwell68
November 27th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I design webites on a part time basis, so I despise IE with a passion you cannot imagine. At work, non IT, I am forced to use IE6. I have asked our IT department why we can't use a better browser and I was told that they use IE6 because it is the most user friendly browser. In fact they spend their time downgrading new Vista and W7 machines to XP running IE6. This is the same IT department that today couldn't get a Vista machine and an XP machine to share a printer. They just couldn't work out how it was done. When I tried to help I was told not to interfere as I didn't know what I was talking about. I was going to point out that I spent two years at college studing Information Technology Applications, then a further 3 years studying Computer Science and another year studying website design and that my role with them as a CCTV operator was only part time while my web design and PC support business is still in it's infancy.

Marvin666
November 27th, 2009, 10:02 PM
The only IE I've had to use for long periods was 6, and I was never on 7 long enough to discover it's tabbed browsing. I didn't even know there was an 8 until today...

ctrlmd
November 27th, 2009, 10:22 PM
you're posting in linux forum and you would expect people to say they like it :-\"

Old Marcus
November 27th, 2009, 11:11 PM
As a browser to use, IE 7 and 8 are usable, while 6 is just masochistic. To work with them on web development however, they are hell.

Eagles18
November 27th, 2009, 11:41 PM
you're posting in linux forum and you would expect people to say they like it :-\"
You have a valid point.

dragos240
November 27th, 2009, 11:49 PM
What kind of topic is this?

lsk3993
November 28th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Even if you posted it in a general computer related forum the knowledgeable among them would tell you what a rubbish browser it is...

wilee-nilee
November 28th, 2009, 12:55 AM
The poll speaks for it self at least on a Linux forum.

ve4cib
November 28th, 2009, 01:02 AM
As a browser to use, IE 7 and 8 are usable, while 6 is just masochistic. To work with them on web development however, they are hell.

Having done a lot of web development I agree with you for the most-part. IE8 is actually decent for doing development with, provided you don't need to deal with compatability mode. IE8c is essentially the same as IE7, but at least it has a built-in Javascript/CSS debugger, so it's significantly less painful. IE8 is still not as good a Firefox + Firebug, but it's a vast improvement over IE6 and IE7. IE6 and IE7 are just hell to work with.

Zoot7
November 28th, 2009, 01:18 AM
The poll speaks for it self at least on a Linux forum.
Yeah well... you're not going to get a whole "OMG!!! I Love IE!! It's the Best Browser Ever!!!" kind of response on a Linux orientated forum. Come to think of it you don't really get it on a Windows orientated forum either.

Sand & Mercury
November 28th, 2009, 01:20 AM
I'll settle for it in occasions where there's no other choice... it's not horrible, but it is by far the worst mainstream browser available at the moment.

I'm currently happy with Safari for daily use, and Firefox for web design.

MasterNetra
November 28th, 2009, 01:35 AM
For use its alright i suppose but designing websites with it in mind can be annoying as IE still doesn't completely conform to web standards.

Earl_Maroon
November 28th, 2009, 02:12 AM
What I don't understand is why Microsoft develop IE. Everybody knows it's awful. Microsoft gives it out for free. For a profit driven company such as Microsoft, what's the point?

Is it just sadism?

murderslastcrow
November 28th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Noooooooooooo. Just.. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! *screaming himself to death*

Seriously, if you post this question at a Windows forum, you'll get the same response (maybe worse, since they're more familiar with it). Just NO. IE has no desirable feature whatsoever. At all. Ever.

ctrlmd
November 28th, 2009, 03:16 AM
You have a valid point.
thank you for agreeing with me \\:D/

Even if you posted it in a general computer related forum the knowledgeable among them would tell you what a rubbish browser it is...

:-k yeah but you will get a decent percentage on general computer related forum
try to post a question on windows only forum about linux you wouldn't get a fair percentage of people who like linux same thing about mac
:-\"

Tipped OuT
November 28th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Yeah well... you're not going to get a whole "OMG!!! I Love IE!! It's the Best Browser Ever!!!" kind of response on a Linux orientated forum. Come to think of it you don't really get it on a Windows orientated forum either.

Actually I've been to a Windows forum... and there's users that praise IE there. It's ridiculous.

Marvin666
November 28th, 2009, 05:44 AM
What where you doing on a windows forum? You are practically cheating on ubuntu...

Frak
November 28th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Actually I've been to a Windows forum... and there's users that praise IE there. It's ridiculous.
Coming from a Sysadmin/Web Developer aspect:

I like it for administration. It's very easy to manage via policy objects.

I dislike it for development. It has it's own quirks and doesn't support the complete featureset that other browsers do.

In that sense, I think it's great for companies, but poor for everyday use. That's just me, though.

Diluted
November 28th, 2009, 06:29 AM
What I don't understand is why Microsoft develop IE. Everybody knows it's awful. Microsoft gives it out for free. For a profit driven company such as Microsoft, what's the point?

Is it just sadism?
Businesses use it. As I understand it, only IE is supported and integrated with Group Policies, which means configurations and settings can be deployed onto multiple installations of Windows. There might be third-party add-ons for other browsers, but they may not be supported by the browser vendor themselves.

Combined with the fact that some businesses have IE-only websites or software, means that IE continues to be a good choice among corporations unless other browser vendors decide to improve support for them. If Microsoft drops IE, you can bet there will be businesses complaining about it. It may be the fact that developing IE is much better than the potential loss in revenue as a result of not developing it.

Khakilang
November 28th, 2009, 07:48 AM
The last time I use it. It got hijack.

Tipped OuT
November 28th, 2009, 08:09 AM
What where you doing on a windows forum? You are practically cheating on ubuntu...

Ubuntu is not my wife. It's an operating system. Geez.

Coming from a Sysadmin/Web Developer aspect:

I like it for administration. It's very easy to manage via policy objects.

I dislike it for development. It has it's own quirks and doesn't support the complete featureset that other browsers do.

In that sense, I think it's great for companies, but poor for everyday use. That's just me, though.

Yeah I know what you mean.

But I mean, people actually think it's the best web browser over there. LOL

choyak
November 28th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Well, I had to buy a 1 terabyte hard drive to store the adware, malware and viruses obtained from using IE. I even used Firefox on 'bugdows XP' for quite a while

Tipped OuT
November 28th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Well, I had to buy a 1 terabyte hard drive to store the adware, malware and viruses obtained from using IE. I even used Firefox on 'bugdows XP' for quite a while

Why would you store Maleware, Adware and Viruses?

t0p
November 28th, 2009, 11:55 AM
It's been quite some time since I had a Windows OS on a machine of mine. But then a relative bought me Photoshop CS4; so I installed a virtual XP in VirtualBox in which I can run the Photoshop.

I didn't install the virtual XP do go online - but since it's there, and it gets an internet connection from Ubuntu, I decided to give IE a spin. To see if it was as bad as I remembered. And it was. Truly horrible, after some time of using Firefox almost exclusively. Gaah!

Anyway, while I was browsing with IE, I saw a link to download Chrome browser. So I installed Chrome onto my virtual XP; if I ever need to go online through the XP VM, I won't have to use blinking Internet Explorer. I hate Internet Explorer!

[quote=Earl_Maroon;8399010]What I don't understand is why Microsoft develop IE. Everybody knows it's awful. Microsoft gives it out for free. For a profit driven company such as Microsoft, what's the point?

Is it just sadism?
Microsoft started bundling IE free with Windows to kill Netscape Navigator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netscape_navigator) in the Browser Wars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_Wars). They continue bundling it free with Windows because: when they started giving it away to kill Netscape Navigator, they created the fashion for giving away browsers for free. If Windows came without a browser, users would have to go and get one. And because there are many browsers out there that are better than IE, the users would get one of those superior browsers. That's why Windows OSes come bundled with IE.

In the EU, Microsoft was told that it had to stop bundling IE with Windows, to allow for competition. Of course Microsoft appealed against this: I don't know what's happened in relation to all this, I don't know if Windows 7 comes with IE in Europe. If/when Microsoft do stop bundling a browser with Windows, it'll be interesting to see what happens. At the moment, a great many users don't even know what a browser is: all they know is that they need to click on the blue 'E' to get on the internet. When Windows no longer comes with that 'E' on the desktop, and users have to actually choose a browser, will IE still maintain its larger share of the market? Hmm...

KegHead
November 28th, 2009, 02:38 PM
firefox forever!!

squilookle
November 28th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I can't say I hate it, thst would be a waste of energy, but I'm not a fan either.

For that reason, I haven't voted...

Eagles18
November 29th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Only three people really like IE?I'm not surprised :)

drawkcab
November 29th, 2009, 10:26 PM
It's the worst.

jeyaganesh
November 29th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Except Media Player, freecell and MS office, i dont like any of the MS apps. If I see any one using IE, I recommend them to use Firefox. I have successfully converted lot of my friends to use Firefox and Flock:D

Bruce H
November 30th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I didn't vote. I don't see what the point of a poll on that is here.

But I do want to throw my two cents in. I hate Internet Explorer with a passion for two reasons: Active X and standards support (or lack thereof).

Active X runs counter to what a web browser is supposed to be, and that is a program that lets you view content on the web and never, ever allow external code to run in the OS, apart from jailed systems like javascript. Unfortunately, that is what Active X is and what it is designed to do: it takes external code and runs it directly in the OS. With Active X, Microsoft essentially pissed on the bedrock principles of safe networking, and it shows in the number of Active X exploits found in the wild. Sure, one can install Active X in Firefox, but one has to be actively involved in doing so.

With web standards, the situation is arguably worse. Microsoft has, time and again, attempted to impose their own proprietary standards on the rest of the internet in an attempt to stifle competition. That is, frankly, inexcusable. That Microsoft has not sustained major legal losses for its anti-competitive behavior boggles my mind.

expxe
November 30th, 2009, 12:34 AM
i would be willing to switch over to IE on two conditions

if it was better than the best browser in the world, aka firefox, burnnnnnnn!

and if it was open source

toupeiro
November 30th, 2009, 12:34 AM
No, but I don't like how piggish firefox is getting on RAM either.. I wish I was a good programmer, because a truly lean browser that was fully functional would be something I would feel is worth donating my time to.

Tipped OuT
November 30th, 2009, 12:53 AM
No, but I don't like how piggish firefox is getting on RAM either.. I wish I was a good programmer, because a truly lean browser that was fully functional would be something I would feel is worth donating my time to.

Try Google Chrome (or Chromium for you guys). Reasonably lightweight, and fast.

expxe
November 30th, 2009, 12:55 AM

what is the d between chrome and chromium?

toupeiro
November 30th, 2009, 12:58 AM

Been there, done that, heaver than firefox. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8377171&postcount=64) ;)

Tipped OuT
November 30th, 2009, 12:59 AM
what is the d between chrome and chromium?

Google Chrome is basically Chromium slapped on with the Google logo and colors.

Chromium is the open source web browser that Google Chrome is based on.

LepeKaname
December 1st, 2009, 10:18 AM
I didn't vote. I don't see what the point of a poll on that is here.

Of course many people here do not use IE for obvious reasons. But I wanted to know how many people here miss or like IE. For example, many people like Photoshop even there is GIMP, or Flash even we can't use (develop) in Linux. However, I'm personally against IE as it makes my life more difficult (web developer).

I like MS Office over OpenOffice, but If I can, I use abiword/gnumeric as they are faster.

Originally Posted by toupeiro

I have been using chrome (I'm using it right now) for about 2 weeks and I'm impressed about how fast it is. I use firefox for development, chrome for special tasks and opera for fun.

Cheers.

jespdj
December 1st, 2009, 10:37 AM
I do not like IE because I have to develop web applications and IE does not conform to the web standards, which means IE renders web pages differently and scripts behave differently than in other browsers. Also, IE, especially IE 6, is buggy and causes memory leaks if you're not very careful with your JavaScript.

It's a PITA if you must make your web application work with different browsers, especially IE 6.

Unfortunately there are still lots of people using old and crappy computers with old and crappy versions of IE so supporting that old and crappy junk is unfortunately necessary.

IE sucks the fun out of developing web applications.

cheekybrew
December 1st, 2009, 11:00 AM
there are some decent features in the latest release. but seriously this is poll!!!

t.rei
December 1st, 2009, 11:02 AM
As I consider any browser without proper adblocking "no real browser" - IE fails utterly at being one.

madnessjack
December 1st, 2009, 11:06 AM
As I consider any browser without proper adblocking "no real browser" - IE fails utterly at being one.
Yeah, because blocking ads is crucial to browsing the internet

Frak
December 1st, 2009, 10:52 PM
Yeah, because blocking ads is crucial to browsing the internet
This^^

murderslastcrow
December 1st, 2009, 11:12 PM
Can you honestly tell me that if you used any web browser other than Dillo then tried Internet Explorer, you would think it was an improvement?

VCoolio
December 3rd, 2009, 02:00 AM
No I don't. It even s*cks as User Agent in Seamonkey: google maps won't load. <sigh> I need the user agent for the homepage of the company where I work (it's the only one I know of that doesn't work properly in firefox or anything but ie) and most of the time after that page I go to google maps to prepare some things for work. Then I'm immediately reminded that ie is very crappy.