PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] SSH if the /home directory is shared

bilboe
November 14th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Hello, i have 2 computers that share the /home over nfs, and i want to be able to ssh without a password between the two (to run mpich). I have gotten this to work with seperate home directories, but not when they share them. Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Bilbo

theshibboleth
November 16th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I'm trying to do the same thing, following https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MpichCluster. I've succesfully got 2 out of 3 of the computers in my network configured properly, but I'm at a loss as to why the third one isn't working since it uses the same home directory as the other two computers. I almost think it might be better to run mpich without sharing the home directory, but I'm not sure how to implement this.

theshibboleth
November 17th, 2009, 05:55 AM
I had success using separate folders once I decided to give all the computers only one hostname each in /etc/hosts. This might help in your case too. (So just use the ordinary hostnames of the computers within mpd.hosts This said, if your computers have different architectures, you might consider using separate folders anyway (as the binaries in the shared folder might not work for all the computers).

Lars Noodén
November 17th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Hello, i have 2 computers that share the /home over nfs, and i want to be able to ssh without a password between the two (to run mpich). I have gotten this to work with seperate home directories, but not when they share them. Any ideas?

Host-based authentication might be what you are looking for. The client machine authenticates to the server and then the server allows all (or some) of the users to connect without further process.

Three files on the server or target host must be modified to get host-based authentication working:

/etc/shosts.equiv - same syntax as rhosts.equiv, can point to netgroups
/etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts - hold the identities of the clients
/etc/ssh/sshd_config - turn on host-based authentication

shosts.equiv on the server should have the hostnames and/or ip numbers of the other machines. Don't try to manage users or anything tricky here.

ssh_known_hosts on the server should have the public key(s) from the other machines. Each machine can have more than one key, if you set it up that way. So you can use a special key for host-based authentication.

sshd_config on the server should be set to allow host-based authentication, for at least one group containing at least one user. e.g. put them into the group mpichcluster:

Match Group mpichcluster
HostbasedAuthentication yes

Each machine will need legitimate A,AAAA,or CNAME plus PTR entries in DNS. If that is not possible then you may have to fiddle and kludge a bit with dnsmasq or something. Or try skipping that requirement:

HostbasedUsesNameFromPacketOnly yes

Match Group mpichcluster
HostbasedAuthentication yes

YMMV

Lars Noodén
November 17th, 2009, 02:21 PM
i want to be able to ssh without a password between the two (to run mpich)

I'm not familiar with how mpich is managed. Are you talking about logging in for the purpose of starting a single program?

If so, then forget the host-based noise I wrote above and use key-based authentication plus sudo, if you need sudo. Can you show the exact method you use to start mpich ?

i.r.id10t
November 17th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Or you could use passwordless SSH keys...

bilboe
November 18th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I'm not familiar with how mpich is managed. Are you talking about logging in for the purpose of starting a single program?

If so, then forget the host-based noise I wrote above and use key-based authentication plus sudo, if you need sudo. Can you show the exact method you use to start mpich ?

I start mpich with mpdboot -n 8 -f .mpd.conf

Is keybased authentication with the keys in the .ssh directory and noted in the .allowed_keys file? That is what i do and it works without nfs, but when i want to ssh when sharing the home directory, it means that they have the same .ssh directory too, so it will not work. Is there a way to change the location of the ssh directory to outside of the shared home and onto the local machine?

Thank you!

bilboe
November 19th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Ok everyone, i figured it out! In /etc/ssh/ssh_config, there is a line that specifies the location of the identity file. I have changed this to a new directory on each node...(i.e. .ssh_node1/identity, .ssh_node2/identity.pub and so on...)

And now i expect it will work, but i have not tried it.

Thank you!!

-Bilbo