PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Word Processor Other than Abiword?

Warpnow
November 13th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Abiword seems to be the only lightweight word processor there is, which is sad, because its riddled with gnome dependencies. Does anyone know of any others?

DJ_Max
November 13th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Why not just use Google docs

SunnyRabbiera
November 13th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Google docs, or you can just use gedit or something as all the linux text editors I know have spellcheck :D
I bet someones gonna say LaTeX

UKBB
November 13th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I'm not sure how lightweight it is but take a look at IBM's Lotus Symphony.

DJ_Max
November 13th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Google Docs i say

or LaTex

SunnyRabbiera
November 13th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I'm not sure how lightweight it is but take a look at IBM's Lotus Symphony.

No its based on openoffice now, so its not lightweight as per the OP's question.

tjwoosta
November 13th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I know arch has an abiword-light in aur which is basically just abiword without alot of the gnome dependencies. I'm not sure if its available for ubuntu, but I would think it should be.

lykwydchykyn
November 13th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Kword seems a good deal snappier than OpenOffice. It's kind of at an awkward, pimply-faced point in its development right now, but you may find it usable.

There's also Ted (http://www.nllgg.nl/Ted/)

Mornedhel
November 13th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I bet someones gonna say LaTeX

LaTeX is awesome. I'm a fan of LaTeX. I write almost everything in LaTeX.

But then again, my job allows me to do so (recommends it, in fact), and I would not exactly say that LaTeX is lightweight -- it is, as long as you only need editing, but have you ever pulled texlive-full from the repositories ?...

OP: Of course Abiword has plenty of Gnome dependencies. It's part of the Gnome office suite (along with Gnumeric and, well, that's pretty much it).

I don't know of any other lightweight word processors. You may be able to install only the word processing part of KOffice, but you may not want to if you're worried about large dependencies and you're not running KDE.

Otherwise, some text editors offer rudimentary word processing. Emacs comes to mind, but let's be frank, I'm an even bigger fan of Emacs than I am of LaTeX, and I wouldn't call it lightweight either.

xuCGC002
November 13th, 2009, 11:33 PM
ed.

Greg
November 13th, 2009, 11:38 PM
LaTeX is awesome. I'm a fan of LaTeX. I write almost everything in LaTeX.

But then again, my job allows me to do so (recommends it, in fact), and I would not exactly say that LaTeX is lightweight -- it is, as long as you only need editing, but have you ever pulled texlive-full from the repositories ?...

OP: Of course Abiword has plenty of Gnome dependencies. It's part of the Gnome office suite (along with Gnumeric and, well, that's pretty much it).

I don't know of any other lightweight word processors. You may be able to install only the word processing part of KOffice, but you may not want to if you're worried about large dependencies and you're not running KDE.

Otherwise, some text editors offer rudimentary word processing. Emacs comes to mind, but let's be frank, I'm an even bigger fan of Emacs than I am of LaTeX, and I wouldn't call it lightweight either.

I wouldn't call Emacs too heavy, especially if you're running it in terminal. And considering what it does.

koleoptero
November 13th, 2009, 11:44 PM
There's also Ted (http://www.nllgg.nl/Ted/)
This sounded interesting but I can't find this program anywhere after a successful install. What's the command?

EDIT: nevermind, it's Ted (why did they put a capital T in the command I wonder...)

Mornedhel
November 13th, 2009, 11:45 PM
I wouldn't call Emacs too heavy, especially if you're running it in terminal. And considering what it does.

Yeah, but if you run it in a terminal, your only formatting options are those allowed by the terminal (ie, most of the time, bold and underlined). Otherwise, yeah, I don't know of any other text editor that does tables.

But seriously, would you recommend it to the OP, with the learning curve and all (admittedly, not so steep a curve as other, unnamed text editors) ?

Greg
November 14th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Yes. The curve is worth it :P

spcwingo
November 14th, 2009, 01:15 AM
You could always try ted (it's in the repos)...it's the default word processor for DSL.

dragos240
November 14th, 2009, 01:18 AM
How about vi(m)?

schauerlich
November 14th, 2009, 02:01 AM
How about vi(m)?

Text editor != word processor.