PDA

View Full Version : YES! Wine version 1.1.3.3 has been released

Goldline
November 13th, 2009, 09:55 PM
:p

1.1.3.3 list of changes:

What's new in this release (see below for details):
- Gecko now installed at wineprefix creation time.
- Better support for certificates in crypt32.
- Improved sound support in mciwave.
- Some more Direct3D 10 functions.
- Many cleanups for issues spotted by Valgrind.
- Various bug fixes.

FOR THE FULL LIST OF CHANGES PLEASE VISIT:
http://www.winehq.org/announce/1.1.33

bodhi.zazen
November 13th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Moved to the cafe.

Is there not a new "version" of wine released every two weeks (there was the last time I looked).

blueshiftoverwatch
November 13th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Why is WINE faster/better at running Windows apps than Windows running in Virtualbox?

SunnyRabbiera
November 13th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Why is WINE faster/better at running Windows apps than Windows running in Virtualbox?

Well I can give a good reason, memory load, as virtual machines need a certain amount of memory, linux needs a certain amount of memory, and windows needs a crapload of memory.

perce
November 13th, 2009, 10:10 PM

Because it doesn't need a Windows licence

chris200x9
November 13th, 2009, 10:33 PM

because it's not emulating windows?

AllRadioisDead
November 13th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Nothing to be too excited about.. it happens every 2 weeks.

blueshiftoverwatch
November 13th, 2009, 11:00 PM
because it's not emulating windows?
How exactly is a compatibility layer different from an emulator?

kavon89
November 13th, 2009, 11:26 PM

Does your processor have virtualization extensions?

toupeiro
November 13th, 2009, 11:27 PM
How exactly is a compatibility layer different from an emulator?

Emulation, by function, generally has to mimic processor instruction (e.g. DOSBox, MAME, UltraUAE etc etc, SNEX9x, etc etc.) Wine does not need to perform CPU emulation, and interprets the native instructions delivered to the Host OS. Thus, no emulation is taking place. simply, an x86 compatibility layer that can run within the same environment as the parent environment.

oldgeekster
November 13th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Let me know when they have overcome the problem detecting usb devices and I will be impressed....

Matthewthegreat
November 13th, 2009, 11:37 PM

Have you tried running 3D games in Virtualbox? ;)

NickJones
November 13th, 2009, 11:43 PM
VirtualBox is the equivalent of running over VNC, Wine adds a layer of compatibility to decode the ".exe" into a file Linux understands and can run.

blueshiftoverwatch
November 14th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Does your processor have virtualization extensions?
Yes.

MaxIBoy
November 14th, 2009, 12:40 AM
New WINE releases come out every two weeks. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a release today.

I think the following is correct, but if I'm wrong, don't hesitate to let me know...

WINE is a "compatibility layer." With WINE, the Windows .EXEs run natively as Linux programs. It just uses a different dynamic linker, and system calls are "caught" by WINE and translated to ones the Linux kernel can understand. If a Windows program uses no System calls, it will start up slower but after that run at native or faster speeds under WINE.

Virtual machines still run "on the bare metal" of the host CPU, but programs inside virtual machines cannot use the host OS, instead they see a "virtual" computer made out of parts of the resources of the host. Since the programs you run in a VM have no access to the host OS, so a guest OS must run within the VM for the VM to be useful. So when running Windows programs in VirtualBox, you have the overhead of the Linux OS, then the overhead of the VM, then the overhead of Windows itself.

Emulators are distinct from VMs and Compatibility Layers. They keep an entire software simulation of a CPU with its own RAM and so on.

Note that in some cases, a VM may need to use an emulator internally; this is done if the host OS uses a different architecture than the guest. For example, when running Windows in a VM on an old PPC Macintosh, the VM sometimes needs to emulate an x86 CPU. On the other hand, more advanced VMs will "translate" the machine code accross CPU architectures and then store the translated version for future use, in which case it's not using an emulator. I think VirtualBox does this.

toupeiro
November 14th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Let me know when they have overcome the problem detecting usb devices and I will be impressed....

Which USB devices? I've had it properly recognize flash drives, web cams, smart card readers and other things which were all USB.